Over at The Velvet Rope, industry insiders think we're nuts here

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by scotto, May 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scotto

scotto Senior Member Thread Starter

Found this little gem while searching out info on Because Sound Matters.
    The Velvet Rope, in case you haven't seen it before, is a spleen-venting forum for music biz folks, and where bitterness, sarcasm, and condescenscion riegn. No wonder the industry's in such sad shape.

This will be a 25 release over-and-out deal as soon as they see no one under 50 gives a f#@$ about paying 25 bucks for a lp they can most likely get a decent used copy of below-the-bins at Amoeba for a buck.
    And thats assuming the marketing guy that sold Warners on this even still has a job after yesterday....
    There are only about 2-3 thousand people who care about this super vinyl sh&# but you should see how they are all jerking off all over themselves about this at the Steve Hoffman site.

2. longjohn

longjohn New Member

3. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Heh - I think it's pretty funny, actually. We're famous! :D

4. Kevin W

Kevin W Well-Known Member

It's the velvet rope we're talking about. I'm not shocked by that post at all. A lot of those people over there really are funny (And they don't mean to be).

5. Hawkman

Hawkman Supercar Gort Staff

2-3 thousand people that are willing to spend the money on your product so that you still have a job, craphound.

(Do we have a smilie with a middle finger?)

6. scotto

scotto Senior Member Thread Starter

Most striking to me is that this really demonstrates how out of touch this industry is with its own customers.

7. barzzz

barzzz Forum Resident

How about the guy in that thread who claims the masters will be cut from cd-r?

8. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Most industry people (at least the ones I've met) don't really have any musical knowledge much beyond the current charts. They seem to think the music they're promoting is some of the best ever made and they can get so excited over some incredibly mediocre songs simply because they don't have anything else to compare it to. Basically, their musical knowledge is pretty shallow. I doubt if 20% of them have ever even heard side 2 of Abbey Road or absorbed something complex like Blue Train. I'm not surprised they can't understand the concept of people wanting to enjoy the music they love with better sounding re-issues.

I live on both sides. The people at this forum are so much more informed and knowledgeable than the people running the industry. Makes me wonder how much better off the industry would be if more of you worked in it. Imagine intelligent, informed decisions being made not to mention the better quality music that would be released. These people making fun of us are obviously failing at their jobs. The evidence is piling up. No wonder they're so defensive! :laugh:

9. We're all nuts here. Didn't you know that Paris Hilton and Hawthorne Heights (as artists) are the pinnacle of Western Civilisation as we know it?

Vinyl is ridiculous to the uninformed because they're too lazy to set up
    a turntable or sit down and actually listen (without distraction) to
    anything 'artistic'. Pop music isn't "art" anyway, it's a commodity to them!

10. apple corpse

apple corpse Forum Resident

So.. We are all a bunch of cool aid drinkers over here? In that case, I'll have another tall glass of SH grape... :)

11. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

Well, that guy also thinks music is "encoded onto vinyl". :laugh:

12. Of course a lot of the folks there are bitter.

A lot of them used to work at Tower Records....

13. ATR

ATR Senior Member

Another poster here tells me he thinks of SH Forums as 'the Algonquin Round Table' of internet audio discussion. Wish I could have said that.

Regarding what other people think of your vinyl mania, you're probably over 40 so you shouldn't care what other people think. And even if you're under 40, what do they know? Enjoy the music any way you can. :cool:

14. Larry L

Larry L Senior Member

I take that as a compliment.

15. Geoman076

Geoman076 Sealed vinyl is Fun!!

He forgot to add 2,000 - 3,000 people AND GROWING.:righton:

16. Pug

Pug The Prodigal Snob Returns!

:agree: :thumbsup:

17. Jeff H.

Jeff H. Senior Member

Hey, Kool Aid is tasty!:D

18. James RD

James RD Senior Member

I'm sure the fellow who posted that diatribe simply had a monstrous splitting headache from spending the past several years listening non-stop to highly compressed, super-loud poorly mastered CDs. Hopefully, the firearms are kept well out of reach.:p

19. Pug

Especially grape. :agree:

20. crassus515

crassus515 Forum Resident

here's someone's reply to the above-quoted complaint, straight from the velvet rope thread:

"Hmm, not one for the finer things in life are you. ;)

Some people actually enjoy music. Let them. These releases are for them. If you don't want these records or can't understand why they're being released just don't buy them. But complaining about it just makes you come off like a shallow, bitter, music hating old man."

also from the same poster regarding someone's assertion that they were being mastered from cd-r:

"They are *not* being mastered from CD. The true, first generation masters have been found and are being used to mastered the vinyl. These are true analog pressings.

But, the real reason they are so important is we are finally getting some of these albums without all that over compression, hard limiting and heavy handed EQ added to the CD. Just compare the RHCP CD to the LP. It's the difference between driving in a school zone and the Autobahn.

BTW, vinyl is not encoded, it's cut."

The account that posted these two was created today. someone from this form, i'm guessing? if so, bravo. :righton:

21. ATR

ATR Senior Member

Well, I'm back from actually reading the posts over there and let's be fair. The guy who wrote that vitriolic post was taken to task and then set straight on the vinyl project. Furthermore, I'm verbalizing some limited agreement with the other poster who said it doesn't matter if all they're doing is WB. Finally, do people agree that those people are any more 'insiders' than the flotsam and jetsam over here?

22. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

I'm typing with two hands. The rest of you are very good at typing with one hand, I'm guessing.

23. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

..and how Bwrian should we jerk off?

(Bwrian's response) "....to muswick!"

:p

24. Jeff H.

Jeff H. Senior Member

Yeah!! So is cherry.:agree:

25. Pug

[​IMG]

Thread Status: