Oh Mercy! Did I just see Bob Dylan selling cars in a Super Bowl commercial?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by wavethatflag, Feb 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cowardlytrvlr

Cowardlytrvlr Member

the way I see it: Dylan was doing a commercial that supported American made products. He made a lot of money doing it. What could be more American than wanting more money?

thedudeabidz likes this.
  2. PopularChuck

PopularChuck Senior Member

I know. I was teasing. Chrysler most definitely wasn't going for irony. It was going for " 'Murica -- **** yeah!" Never mind that the profits on those cars made in the USA go to Italy...

3. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing. Thread Starter

So we bailed Chrysler out, a second time, so it could be bought by Fiat? Is it entirely owned by them?

Maybe Bob should also be a pitchman for Harley Davidson. (I know, I know, a bad and tasteless joke).

4. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Bud is now Belgian beer

JimC likes this.
  5. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I see it as a great piece of voice-acting.

Who says soundtrack synching has to be perfect? The way it was done adds to the art of the film, which effectively adds to his "music video" collection.

There is no sense knocking a line that was likey written by a screenplay writer (the beer line) as if Dylan wrote it. But he sure delivered it with impact.

This is all further evidence that Dylan should do more voice-over work. Great stuff. Sounds musical!

subtr likes this.
  6. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Forum Resident

Great satirical post - thanks for making me laugh!

7. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

I hate to break it to all those whose nostrils flare at the thought of Dylan doing a commercial -- but he already did one, for Victoria’s Secret.

:yikes:

8. PopularChuck

Well, I'd argue we had to bail out the auto industry, because the repercussions of letting them fail would have been too great when you consider how big the auto industry is in terms of downstream (dealerships) and upstream (parts suppliers, which would have impacted Ford as well, compounding the mess) jobs. But to wade into that will inevitably turn political, which is a no-no here, so I'll leave it at that.

The terms of the $19.4 billion loan ($13.4 billion under Bush in Dec. 2008, the remaining under Obama in March 2009) that saved Chrysler included making Fiat a 20 percent shareholder and giving Fiat an option to raise that to 35 percent. Fiat has over time expanded that and made Chrysler a wholly owned subsidiary.

More to your point, Fiat has paid back the loan that bailed out Chrysler. The government's role in the bailout cost $1.3 billion. That's not inconsequential, but given what was at stake, it is not unreasonable in my opinion.

JimC likes this.
  9. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing. Thread Starter

I think bailing out the auto industry was a good thing. I'm not entirely sure what the point of my first statement above was. I think I was expressing dismay at the prospect of Chrysler being entirely owned by a foreign company.

So, to recap, Bob Dylan did a car commercial, a ladies underwear ad, and I guess ads for other stuff.

10. PopularChuck

The only thing that makes me think of Bob Dylan less than cars is women's underwear.

11. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Thoughtful editorial on CNN on Dylan's appearance in the Chrysler commercial, and what it says to fans and pop culture observers:

Why the Dylan Ad Was Disturbing

[​IMG]

Figbert likes this.
  12. Scott S.

Scott S. lead singer for the best indie band on earth

Perhaps someday this ad will be seen in the same light as going electric at Newport. ;)

JoeF. and davenav like this.
  13. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Forum Resident

That's a stunt double in a Dylan mask.

14. Figbert

Figbert Forum Resident

There may be a question of integrity, or the lack thereof, but I think one objective of people like Dylan, the Stones, and other already wealthy entertainers and sports figures, is to amass enough wealth so that their descendants will be financially secure over several generations, if not indefinitely. I'm not sure that's a worthy objective (inherited wealth is not always a good thing for an individual) but it does seem to be something these folks strive for, especially as they enter their old age.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2014
  15. dylankicks

dylankicks Forum Resident

Add this to the lengthy, and always growing, list of things Dylan does/will do to p!$$ people off, or at least make them scratch their heads. Nothing he does should surprise anyone!

JimC likes this.
  16. Figbert

Figbert Forum Resident

Perhaps this has been mentioned earlier, but it's interesting that Dylan does not utter the word "Chrysler" once during this ad.

JoeF. likes this.
  17. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

Say, anyone mention that Victoria's Secret ad yet?

18. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

19. IronWaffle

IronWaffle It’s all over now, baby blue

In hindsight it is an interesting song choice. Based on the original video, I'd have thought he'd use the song to sell grilled cheese sandwiches.

Thinking about the lyrics, though, this song is the perfect vehicle for promoting Detroit: "forty miles of bad road," indeed.

Ad aside, this did whet my appetite for an instrumental release of "Things Have Changed." Maybe it'll show up on a sampler free with purchase of a Cadillac.

I have it on good authority it's a good car to drive after an ad campaign. Then again, that now smacks of product placement. Always ahead of the game, our Bob.

20. Quasimodo

Quasimodo Senior Member

Here's a recent (2013) concert photo of Dylan along side the freakishly airbrushed commercial:
    [​IMG]

21. zen

zen Senior Member

Bob is just another slave to the man!

I wish he had sold something forward looking rather than a 19th century idea that's done much to destroy our ecosystem. :tiphat:

22. thedudeabidz

thedudeabidz Stepping sharply from the rank and file

It bears repeating. Chrysler was recently sold to Fiat, an Italian company. Maybe the cars are being made here, but the big money is mostly going over seas, which means they're not really an American company. To pontificate so jingoistically about American pride for a company not owned by Americans is just plain stupid.

Germans make great beer, but America is making some of the most amazing beers in the world right now.

Zimmy can do whatever he wants, but he should have at least shilled for a company that isn't blatantly owned by a foreign interest if he wanted to lecture us about American Pride. Like Ford, an American company that has committed its atrocities over the years, but at least didn't require a taxpayer bailout to stay in business.

Figbert and PROG U.K. like this.
  23. David Powell

David Powell Well-Known Member

Actually, as reported recently in various business news outlets, Fiat Chrysler, a Netherlands-based holding group, is shifting its tax domicile to the UK. Perhaps they should have chosen the Stones' "Gimme Shelter" for their commercial.

Mr Bass likes this.
  24. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

"Joey" is a work of fiction. So is "Hurricane" for that matter. But in fairness to Dylan, Jacques Levy probably wrote to lyrics to both. Liberties have always been taking when it comes to story-telling, a fact as old as story-telling itself. And Dylan is probably as guilty as anyone.

25. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

In fairness to the aged Bob Dylan, performers and stars are always presented in the best possible light, a fact as true for "beautiful" Hollywood starlets as it is for 70+ year old men, including Dylan, who has probably inhaled a million cigarettes over his adult life. There are beautiful young women who won't leave the house without make-up on, and fit, young men who won't go near a beach without having first had the hair on their backs and chests waxed. Almost no performer--or politician for that matter--would ever be shown "lit" like the photograph above on the right.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.