Audio-Technica AT-LP120 Preamp Removal (Detailed Instructions Video)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by FrankieP, May 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

That's normal. You should play LPs with the dustcover open, and remove the LP when it's not in play.

2. JBStephens

JBStephens I don't "like", "share", "tweet", or CARE. In Memoriam

The difference is definitely audible, so I decided to measure it. Indeed, you can see it, too, a little less rolloff above 5 kHz. MODSPECTRUM.jpg

jhershauer likes this.
  3. David Loyd

David Loyd New Member

So it's been awhile since iv perused the site. Life got incredibly busy. I still have not tried this, but will. a lot of free time coming up to say the least. one question though, Has anyone tried to mod the tonearm directly to the outgoing auxiliary outputs? I'm wondering if that would open the sound up even more.

4. Film Guerilla

Film Guerilla New Member

Hi guys, sorry to bump this old thread. Is it ok to use electrical tapes on the wirings? I might try this in the future for sure. I don't know how to solder and i don't know where to find those caps locally. another thing is, where can i have wiring for the ground wire? a normal wire would work for this mod?

thanks!

5. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

While it's not ideal, you can certainly get away with just electrical tape providing you do a good job of twisting the wire ends together and tape them well. An alternative might be to use twist-on wire nuts like these:
    [​IMG]
    As for the ground wire, yes, any shielded wire should be fine.

6. Film Guerilla

Film Guerilla New Member

Thank you Stefan. I will try to get caps in the US if ever. Do i really need a wire stripper as well or a normal pliers would do? Sorry for the newbie questions. :)

7. Steppa

Steppa New Member

I HAVE A EQ BEFORE MY A/V RECEVIER CAN USE THAT AS A GROUND FOR TT.

8. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

You need to ground the turntable to the same device to which you connect the left and right audio cables.

9. Steppa

Steppa New Member

Thanks Stefan.

10. DML2112

DML2112 New Member

Hello everyone -
    I'm new to this forum and just bought this AT-LP120 to replace my Technics SL-B200 that just died after 30 years of audio enjoyment. I didn't realize that the internal pre-amp was going to be an audible point of contention, and my ears are acknowledging this "veil" people are talking about.
    I am so damn scared doing the suggested extraction, but feel if I don't I will be missing out...needing words of encouragement.
    Using an Ortofon OMP20 that I didn't want to give up when the Technics died as the cartridge, and a TCC TC-750 Pre-Amp, "by-passing" the internal one anyway, however the above video & testimonials say get rid of the internal one all together. I'm on the fence . . . someone push me ;-)

drivingfrog and Ben Adams like this.
  11. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Follow the instructions and do it! It's a huge difference! :D

Jam757, Grant, DML2112 and 1 other person like this.
  12. ascot

ascot Senior Member

Yes, it's worth taking out the pre-amp. I had a family member who's good with electronics do it for me so if you're not comfortable with the idea, find help.

13. JBStephens

JBStephens I don't "like", "share", "tweet", or CARE. In Memoriam

I don't understand how that could work. It's lifting the record off the mat, so microphonics aren't being damped/absorbed by the platter.

14. FrankieP

FrankieP Forum Resident Thread Starter

LOL! That's quite a push!

Seriously though, if you are not comfortable, please don't do it. But you yourself acknowledge the "veil" so as Ascot suggested, find somebody that is handy with electronics to help you out. Buy him a beer or something.

15. DML2112

DML2112 New Member

I think I can do it. I have taken my Technics SL-B200 apart to fix it. Your video is a VALUABLE tool...there's just one thing I'm hesitant about - the ground wire(s). Do I have to get an additional wire to connect to the existing grounds? Plus I saw in the video a 3rd cap on the red & whites - ?? I'm assuming all the grounds end up at that spring point, then flows along side the RCA ending in a spade connection?
    And what size caps am I to use? And, and . . . was that some double sided sticky patch you had the zip-tie adhered to? (Sorry about all the questions...just details I want to get 100% accurate)

I'm semi-confident I can do it. With your video as a guide, I'll buy myself a beer !

Thank you in advance,
    David

Ben Adams likes this.
  16. FrankieP

Yes, an additional wire is needed to serve as ground wire. I took mine out from an old turntable The 3rd cap is indeed for the ground wire. But that is not where you connect the additional wire. The connection will be at that spring point. Once you open up the turntable, take a minute to look at the wiring and make a mental note of how it was originally before cutting the wires. Take pictures if necessary. One you see the flow, you'll understand more where you should be making the cuts and adding the ground wire.

Smallest caps you can get. The double sided sticky is just a regular zip tie mount. Goodluck!

17. DML2112

DML2112 New Member

Got all my tools and materials. Listened to the unmodded & modded files...it was enough to convince me. Appreciate all the input from Ben and FrankieP and everyone else here. Tonight's as good a night as any!

David

Ben Adams likes this.
  18. vlds8

vlds8 Forum Resident

Go for it. Not only will it sound better, but the satisfaction of modifying your table successfully will be with you every time you spin a record !

DML2112 and Ben Adams like this.
  19. DML2112

DML2112 New Member

SUCCESS! SUCCESS!! WE HAVE SUCCESS!!! The "veil" has been lifted!
    OMG - Even my wife could tell a difference...she said, "It's not as muddy as the other night"...

Thank you to everyone for "pushing" me!!!!! My ears are extremely happy!!

DoF, Grant, Ben Adams and 4 others like this.
  20. FrankieP

Awesome!!! Congrats and enjoy!

DML2112 likes this.
  21. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

We wouldn't steer you wrong. ;)

DML2112 likes this.
  22. JimSpark

JimSpark I haven't got a title

I just bought my AT-LP120 three months ago. I'm probably going to do this mod, but I'm going to wait until I've had it a few more months. It's got a 1 year warranty, but the warranty is voided if you perform the preamp removal surgery :tsk:

I have the same TCC-TC750 phono preamp as DML2112, so since he noticed the veil being lifted, I'm feeling even better eventually giving this a try. Whether I do this or not, the coolest thing for me is there's no perceptible veil over the sound as it is, either with the stock AT-95e or with my AT-440MLa cartridge upgrade. I can't really imagine how much better it might sound.

DML2112 likes this.
  23. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Oh, just you wait!

24. Budysr

Budysr Forum Resident

Go for it Man. I did with my AT LP 120 after only about 3 months myself. It's worth it even if you do void the warranty. I'd imagine if there was a problem with the TT that fell within the warranty time, it would show up from the start. It's not like we are talking about a high dollar TT here anyway.

DML2112 likes this.
  25. JimSpark

JimSpark I haven't got a title

My head tells me "wait until the end of this year to allow the full coverage of the warranty."
    My heart tells me "screw the warranty and perform preamp surgery tomorrow morning!"
    To feel like I'm doing what's best, I'm trying to go somewhere in the middle, like July or August.

Sometimes when the turntable is first turned on, I faintly hear the motor whirring around a bit. That noise always subsides in a minute or so, but that's the main reason I'd want to wait, just in case that motor decides to crap out.

ShawnMcCann and Budysr like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.