The Beatles U.S. Albums box set - your impressions...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Hawkman, Jan 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr Jones

Dr Jones Forum Resident

I believe most feel that even though it was a worldwide release it was started by Capitol. Without Capitol it would not have happened. Apple did not have control of there catalog in the 70's. Most of the comps were Capitol projects (except Beatle Ballads).

2. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

Due to the rights and conditions under which the fan club records were made, they can't be offered for sale, only as 'freebies'. So it would have been nice to have it as an extra.

Simon A likes this.
  3. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

So was Sgt Pepper but it was also a Parlophone release, as was Hollywood Bowl.

4. graystoke

graystoke Forum Resident

But it was a worldwide release and not just for the US market.

5. slane

slane Forum Resident

The only 'Hollywood Bowl' album that would have made sense as an extra in the US Albums box is the original Capitol mix of the 1964 show that went unreleased at the time. THAT was an intended US only album

6. brownbear

brownbear Forum Resident

Maybe time for a bump of Slane's list? If not, what page contains the most current list?

7. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

Is it correct that the original Capitol Sgt.Pepper had gaps between the songs and did not play as it should ie gapless ??

8. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

No, that is not correct. Pepper played as it should, aside from the missing gibberish at the end of side 2.

9. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

ok thanks !! :)

10. whoompley

whoompley Senior Member

Yeah, what Mike said. It plays the same musical program, with the same gaps (or lack thereof) between the songs, but Capitol's mastering puts wide bits (did they call them rills?) between the songs. The same is true of The Beatles. Most* Capitol masterings of The Beatles put rills between the songs, while the UK mastering masterings don't.

I presumed The Beatles ordered no rills for two reasons. One, they wanted people to listen the whole album side, and two, those rills eat up valuable vinyl real estate.

* I could swear I've seen a few used US copies of The Beatles with no gaps.

Do the 2012 vinyl editions mirror this?

Library Eye likes this.
  11. DoctorDave

DoctorDave Senior Member

Overall, I'm very happy with the set, even with the various odd choices that were made regarding the masters that were used. I can get over that since I still have my original vinyl albums, and the Capitol Volumes 1 & 2 CD sets from a few years ago. Love the packaging, the artwork, the inner sleeves, etc. etc.

However, I was deeply disappointed to see that for nearly $200 (or whatever discounted price one could find), the producers couldn't be bothered to put in the CD TEXT info for each song. It doesn't take much work, and it looks so much better than seeing "TRACK 1" show up on my display instead of the song title and artist. I've bought many budget CD's that contain this info.........for the price and the historical importance, it should have been included on this set, too.

Rant over!

RockWizard and seaisletim like this.
  12. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

I burned a version that combined the mono Beatle tracks with the stereo George Martin Orchestra tracks and I feel I have the best of both worlds now.

planetneurosis5 likes this.
  13. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

No, it was mixed and compiled in the UK by George Martin.

14. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

Not Montserrat?

15. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

AIR London.

Gems-A-Bems likes this.
  16. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Plus that's how the original vinyl LP was.

Evan

17. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

Can someone post the catalogue numbers for the individual CDs (the ones that appear on the spine of the obi strips)? Thank you.

18. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Not of this world

I've only got 5 of them...but here they are

The Beatles Second Album B0019698-02
    A Hard Day's Night B0019700-02
    Beatles '65 B0019703-02
    Yesterday and Today B0019708-02
    The Beatles Again B0019710-02

Looks like there might be some sort of chronological order to it. :p

19. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

Thank you.

20. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

50 years ago tonight

21. dbacon

dbacon Senior Member

I did...I liked that you can see the "V" in Ringo's shirt. I'm thinking of buying a third copy, putting on the trunk sticker then do a really bad job of peeling it off.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2014
    fitzysbuna likes this.
  22. zen

zen Senior Member

That would be reason enough to include it in the "US Albums" box set. Also the MMT album, for obvious reasons.

23. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

It was missing from many later european pressings too.

24. Mister Charlie

Mister Charlie "Music Is The Doctor Of My Soul " - Doobie Bros.

I just burned a True 1966 all US Capitol stereo CD of Y&T, after having listened to 5 different discs yesterday to confirm what was and wasn't real (including my 70s Apple vinyl with the true stereo cuts). Replacing the 2014 Y&T stereo completely with 1965 mono box Help/Rubber Soul stereo mixes, true stereo mixes of the three that were NOT really the US mix (Robert, Bird and Sleeping) from a needledrop and using the 2014 for all the mono and the correct mixes of Daytripper and We Can Work It Out.

(Edit: I found online an excellent copy of the true US mono 'OK Herb' Dr Robert and used that instead of the 2014 mono herbless vsn)...

NOW I have the actual best version of the true mono/stereo Capitol US Y&T on CD.

25. zen

zen Senior Member

Good call. I think it was a mistake to ever include that noise in the CD era. The power of that last long chord followed by silence is a wonderful experience.

Keith V and Darran39123 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.