The Beatles U.S. Albums box set - your impressions...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Hawkman, Jan 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Yet that's the only one with any unique mixes (AHDN instrumentals aside).

2. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Yes, Hey Jude was also well done. Have to have Y&T for the butcher cover though.

Evan

3. BuckNaked

BuckNaked Senior Member

Sticking with my Russian boot. Even came with the same 'Trunk Cover' stick-on...great booklet as well. :righton:

JamesD1957 and sewerdog like this.
  4. BrewDrinkRepeat

BrewDrinkRepeat Forum Resident

Huh? That's not true at all, check out Slane's list (just reposted). There are unique US mixes on six of the discs, not just Y&T.

Were they? I thought all the tracks lifted from the 2009 sets were the 2009 tracks, as-is. Perhaps I missed something in the massive (and, annoyingly split) thread... what did they do to them?

5. David Campbell

David Campbell Forum Resident

After having "lived" with the US Box for a couple weeks, I must say I really think it's fantastic. Almost as beautiful to behold as The MONO set and it sounds great. It looks fantastic sitting besides the MONO set. Really wish that the STEREO set was done in the same small box, mini LP format as well. I would love for them to reissue the core set like that soon.

While I love my Capitol Sets for what they are, there is no contest in sound quality. The Dexterized stuff seems to sound even worse to me when I a/b it. Of course I didn't grow up in that era, so i have no sentimental attachment to the old mixes, so I understand where the controversy comes from.

billnunan, Jayseph, Clanceman and 2 others like this.
  6. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

What I meant was that Y&T was the only disc that had unique mixes that weren't previously reissued. That is, all of the other unique stuff is on the Capitol boxes.

7. sgb

sgb Senior Member

I find 56 pages of posts a little daunting on the subject, but I would like to know if there is anything to these that could make them deserving to one who has both the stereo and mono boxes from 2009?

8. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

Original U.S. mixes of "Day Tripper" and "We Can Work It Out" on Yesterday And Today.

The Beatles' Story, if you're into that sort of thing.

A few scattered U.S. mixes on The Beatles' Second Album, Something New, Beatles '65 and Rubber Soul, all of which were already made available on The Capitol Albums sets. (Look for anything underlined on slane's list.)

Otherwise you're pretty well set. Apparently they did a pretty good job on the packaging. I'm still waiting for mine, hope to have it some time today.

I will say this -- I had forgotten how much I enjoyed the Hey Jude album. Of course, it's a crazy compilation of leftover songs not on a previous -ahem- CAPITOL album (so it actually duplicates two songs from the US A Hard Day's Night), but somehow it works. Maybe I just like it because I had it on 8-track as a kid.

sgb likes this.
  9. Frank

Frank Senior Member

From different sources.
    Get the unique mixes from Slane's list from iTunes and you're set. They're from a better generation source than on the Capitol boxes.

10. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

No, the unique US mixes are all likely from the same sources on the Capitol and US boxes.

11. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Although we do not know that for sure yet. The 1965 mixes of Day Tripper and We Can Work It Out do not sound that way to me.

12. raveoned

raveoned Forum Resident

OK, dang it. I'm gonna pull the trigger and buy the whole thing. I got the 3 albums I wanted originally to finish the 2004 and 2006 sets, but seeing the TV ad last night, along with the price being where I can get it has me ready to order this thing!

Clanceman and DrBeatle like this.
  13. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

I'm leaning that way, too...much as I've been resisting. My birthday is in 3 days and I might just grab it with giftcards I've saved up if I can find a good price...

Clanceman likes this.
  14. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

And that is the $64,000 question.

For the US-unique mixes, slane's wonderful list simply indicates "new transfer" - but from what sources?

Ron / brainwashed indicates he has it on reliable sources that everything was sourced from tapes at EMI /Abbey Road.

However, since some of the mixes were actually cut from the reel and sent to Capitol (ex: IFF /SAW mono! Y&T stereo mixes), rather than dubbed, they would not be in the UK vaults, and would have to be sourced either from Capitol tapes (how likely is that?) or the CAPITOL ALBUMS masters, right? And shouldn't the disparity in audio quality between these and the 2009 masters be noticeable?

Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
  15. dudley07726

dudley07726 Forum Resident

Just received my Amex bill showing the final price I paid for this box set from Amazon Canada. $104.60 incl foreign transaction fee. Great price.

billnunan and whatprogress like this.
  16. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Not only were some cut from the reels, but most of the reels in question are apparently not in EMI's archive anymore, so the transfers couldn't have come from UK tapes anyway. The US stereo mix of We Can Work It Out is a good example - the mix reel was scrapped in 1966.

Looking quickly, I think the early stereo mix of Day Tripper is the only unique mix that could have come from the UK, and the sound of that track calls that into question.

bluemooze and rickboy like this.
  17. culabula

culabula Unread author.

As I remember, growing up with it, the reasoning was not to release singles from albums that had already been released, the major exception being Something/Come Together.

Obviously they did not have this control over their first album, released by Parlophone when that company thought they wouldn't last very long, but they were clearly in charge by "With The Beatles" and released no singles it or from Pepper, The Beatles, Rubber Soul etc.

The others you mention appeared on (sort of) soundtrack albums which were felt fair game; Eleanor Rigby/Yellow Submarine was slightly different and unique in that it was released on the same day as Revolver and thus the rationale was that you didn't have to buy it if buying the LP, anyway. Obviously millions did....

18. culabula

culabula Unread author.

I agree !

Attached Files:

19. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

I agree that of all of the box sets, the stereo box is the weakest in terms of packaging. I also still don't like how it's not the original artwork on the back and insides...that really rubs me the wrong way.

MarkTheShark likes this.
  20. btomarra

btomarra Classic Rock Audiophile

This may not be the same issue, just a thought to agree with you: When it was announced there would be no Beatles product by Christman 1966, they did put out a GH package in both mono and stereo (A Collection of Beatles Oldies) which does collect a number of singles on lp so the buying public would end up repurchasing a lot of what they already owned.....

21. Duophonic

Duophonic Beatles

I went to a used joint in town and saw that they had 3 used boxes at $144.99 each

22. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

Wasn't Bad Boy the only track that had not yet been released in the U.K. but had been featured on Beatles VI in the U.S.?

23. btomarra

btomarra Classic Rock Audiophile

Yes it was! So in the UK, for a few albums which didn't have singles on them (With the Beatles, Beatles For Sale and Rubber Soul), there were more lps that did (Please Please Me, A Hard Days Night, Help! and Revolver) and a 1966 GH lp which repackaged many of the same singles yet again....

24. culabula

culabula Unread author.

But only if they decided to buy it....

25. culabula

culabula Unread author.

It was but there was no advertising as such on the sleeve (bonus track! Unreleased! Exclusive!) or anything like that to persuade punters. Rather the hint was in the title: "collection" "oldies".

There was nothing wrong with releasing a Greatest Hits package at this stage -after all, they'd just "shook the world" - but as their singles had sold in millions, this LP didn't sell so well as no-one was in any doubt as to what was being offered.

BuckNaked likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.