Portland, Oregon PDX Record Stores

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MichaelPemulis, Feb 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MichaelPemulis

MichaelPemulis Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hey all -

I have recently moved to Portland, and am enjoying checking out all the different record stores here. Wanted to start a thread about shops here, as I couldn't find one in search, and also had a question.

Are there any stores that specialize in "audiophile" pressings (for lack of a better descriptive term)? Such as Mo-Fi, Analogue Productions, Speakers Corner, etc.

2. Dukes Travels

Dukes Travels Forum Resident

I'm about 2 hours from Portland. I've been meaning to go up and check the record stores for any rare Genesis stuff. Let me know if you see anything on your trips. I will seriously jump in my car to get them.

3. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

For audiophile pressings, you might try Music Millennium.
    Other stores:

Sonic Recollections on Belmont
    Crossroads on Hawthorne
    2nd Avenue Records on 2nd Avenue
    Vinyl Resting Place on Lombard in St. Johns.
    Everyday Music on Burnside and on Sandy Boulevard
    Jackpot on Burnside and on Hawthorne
    Mississippi Records on Mississippi Ave.

Also Everybody's Music across the river on Main street in Vancouver WA

4. MichaelPemulis

MichaelPemulis Forum Resident Thread Starter

Here are my thoughts on those I have visited so far:

Jackpot Records, Downtown: Store is relatively small, but also relatively well curated. Decent selection of local music, hip hop, electronica, and new releases. Used and New records. Store has a good vibe.

Everyday Music, Downtown: Big selection of vinyl. Mix of used and new. Not much curation. This is a good place to go and dig through the stacks, found a bunch of RSD and other stuff that is now rare, there is a good amount of records to go through, so you can find a gem or too. This also feels like a Sam Goody or something, not much character to the store.

Mississippi Records: One of the cooler record stores I have been to. Big selection of folk, americana, world music, and rarities. Also an excellent, excellent reggae selection. I saw a bunch of reggae recordings I would consider essential, and more of them than I usually see in one place. Great prices here, I got a bunch of used, great condition vinyl for cheap.

2nd Avenue Records: This place feels like where you used to go in the 80's to get your metal records, in a good way. Lots of records, tight space, like the shop is over capacity by like 50%. Tight quarters.

lbangs and xilef regnu like this.
  5. hanleyp

hanleyp Forum Resident

You need to grab the "Portland Guide To Independent Record Stores" it was put out by the local record shops and lists 23 stores with a description what the specialize in and a map of their locations complete with phone numbers, addresses and hours of operation. I saw them at a couple of stores last time I was in town maybe Exiled Records on Hawthorne St was where I got mine I can't quite remember.

MichaelPemulis likes this.
  6. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

The new guide should be out very soon.

7. oneslip17

oneslip17 Forum Resident

I wouldn't say any of the record stores in Portland "specialize" in audiophile anything.

Music Millenium doesn't keep their audiophile vinyl in one section. Its spread around the store. But their audiophile CDs and and SACDS are right next to the karaoke CDs.
    Jackpot Records doesn't keep their audiophile vinyl in one section either, and I havent seen very many, if any audiophile CDs there.
    Crossroads Music has a box of audiophile vinyl in a box under one of the many rows of LPs. I'm sure you could find it if you asked.

Hope that helps a little.

8. Faders Up

Faders Up Forum Resident

Agreed on Music Millennium being the main place for "audiophile" pressings. Even though, I'd recommend still going to Soundstagedirect.com or something for audiophile pressings. As much as I love Music Millennium (I went there today, even), prices of audiophile pressings can be had at a better price if you don't mind a little waiting for the mail. for example, I think they had the ORG Mingus Ah Um 45 RPM for 75 instead of the MSRP 55? Great store, don't get me wrong, it's just audiophile labels I'd say they don't have a great handle on, despite being just about the only brick and mortar store to find audiophile labels in Portland.

9. Dragonwell

Dragonwell Forum Resident

2nd Ave records has a smattering of mofi.

oneslip17 likes this.
  10. Dragonwell

Dragonwell Forum Resident

just to add a couple more:
    Everyday Music in Beaverton as well

Blythe & Bennett Records on Belmont
    Little Axe on Alberta
    The Variety store on Powell
    SMUT on 28th
    Clinton Street on Clinton
    Boom Wow on MLK

there's another store downtown at around 8th and Burnside "365 records" or something like that...

although not strictly a "store" Records by Mail has everything - including most MoFi and AP. You can order online and then pick up in their NW location.

IMHO, Crossroads is probably the best single stop for used classic rock and jazz. lots of turnover and multiple dealers who get records from lots of different places.

Night Owl is a fun record show as well.

11. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

You looking for anything in particular? I glance through the Genesis stuff at many of the local shops but can't remember having seen anything to write home about. The LPs always seem quite well-played, the CDs are usually just your basic mix of the Diament AADs the DE remasters, a billion copies of We Can't Dance and once in a great while a V/C.

12. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

This store can shock you every once in a while. Probably because they're forgotten where they're located. People that live in the West Hills with money and nice, well cared for collections sell to them. The stuff sits there while the bigger stores on Burnside get picked clean.

rxcory likes this.
  13. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

Just about everything's been covered, Michael.

Have fun, it's a great record store town. Don't forget the candy when you're checking out at Music Millennium.

14. Dukes Travels

Dukes Travels Forum Resident

I'm really looking for anything with the covers in near mint, which I know is tough. The record itself doesnt need to necessarily be in perfect shape as I am more after the covers. I've only recently started buying Genesis vinyl as its never been my top priority. I would even take a We Can't Dance if its in great shape.

rxcory likes this.
  15. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

I'll poke around here as well.

Dukes Travels likes this.
  16. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

Ok, I went to Everyday - Beaverton. They just happen to have Genesis - Trespass on the wall display. It's a white label promo. Perfect, I'd say. A couple others, "Abacab" decent cover n condition, Self titled looks great.

The one of note here, "Trespass."

17. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

How much was it?

18. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

I'm standing in here now........again, lol!

19. There is a stack of Japanese Zep pressings on the wall right now.

Clanceman likes this.
  20. Got my MOFI .... Big Pink there.

Clanceman likes this.
  21. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

I know.....it's crazy, still more in the bin of records that just came in. That's what I mean about this place.

The Zep def worth mentioning, also the Japanese Pink Floyd, and PERFECT 1st press S. Faces 1st step.

I'm leaving with stone mint Robert Plants 1st two.

22. Mike in OR

Mike in OR Through Middle-earth...onto Heart of The Sunrise

That Trespass is a US radio edit copy. Had that been a first issue UK copy I would have grabbed it the day they put it up.

With the exception of Animals the other titles are boots, JPN boots. Same with many of the Zeps on the wall.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2014
  23. Mike in OR

Mike in OR Through Middle-earth...onto Heart of The Sunrise

You are going to find that MM is more expensive than the other stores in town.

Some have mentioned the Everyday Music on Burnside. The location has the worst grading between all three stores near Portland followed by Sandy, Burnside's NM is at best VG+ and their selection of good used vinyl is seriously lacking.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2014
  24. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

jackpot is the worst record store in town. it's not even a record store. it's a boutique.

music millenium and 2nd ave records are where i'd prefer to blow all of my money on vinyl, but everyday music is the 999-lb gorilla and has a ton.

rxcory and Clanceman like this.
  25. oneslip17

oneslip17 Forum Resident

Do they keep it in a special place? I don't think I have ever seen any MOFI or other audiophile pressings there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.