VPI Traveler vs Scout question & opinions wanted

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by paulewalnutz, Mar 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paulewalnutz

paulewalnutz Forum Resident Thread Starter

Contemplating a VPI purchase would like some input,should I go Traveler & put more money in a cartridge or go with the Scout & have less money to put to the cartridge? Would really like to hear from people who have them & what carts they have on them & their overall opinion. Thanks

manojCC likes this.
  2. mdelrossi

mdelrossi Forum Resident

What's your max budget?
    Do you have a phono preamp?
    What is your current system?
    What types of music do you like?

I have a hw-19 mk4 with a denon dl160. Really nice.

I know not one of your choices, but going used might get you to another level.

3. paulewalnutz

Max for the table & cart,I would like to keep under $2500. A lot of my music is vocals, R&B. My current system is a retro pieced together,this is gonna be a system upgrade as a gift to myself. Looking at an Anthem amplifier that sounded really good. Had most of what I'm interested in set up for me at my local Hifi Shop & the only thing I'm on the fence about is the table. I really like VPI,I have their 16.5 cleaner & am trying to find other VPI'ers opinions on their tables.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2014
  4. fmuakkassa

fmuakkassa Dr. M

I would recommend going with the Scout 1.1 ($1995) and Dynavector 10X5 cartridge ($450). You can then upgrade the cartridge in a year or two (or more). I started with a Scoutmaster and upgraded my cartridges over the years. You may be able to get these at cheaper prices. Ask for discounts!

ellingtonic and paulewalnutz like this.
  5. TLMusic

TLMusic Musician & record collector

I agree with this approach. Better turntable, lesser (but still very nice) cartridge. Remember, the turntable will far outlast the cartridge. If you play records often like I do, you will need to retip, repair or replace the cartridge every year or two. That will add up over time, so I think you could be glad you already have a better turntable as a solid foundation.

For example, the current retip exchange price for a Dynavector 10X5 is $380. So that's additional money that will need to be spent in the foreseeable future, even if you choose the relatively modest cartridge. If you go for an expensive cartridge, you can expect some heavy maintenance costs down the road, in my experience.

6. manojCC

manojCC New Member

go for
    Traveler & put more money in a cartridge as higher the money higher will be quality .

Leigh likes this.
  7. Ken Clark

Ken Clark Forum Resident

I'd go for the Scout, it's a wonderful table that can do justice to some wonderful cartridges. The Dyna 10x5 is a good recommendation to keep you in budget. You won't be disappointed with that setup!

8. putz

putz Forum Resident

Get the Scout and see if you can swing a Dyna 20XL2. Might be able to get a package deal on both.

I'm in NJ. PM me if you'd like to hear my VPI setup.

9. paulewalnutz

Thank you for all your input. I've learned so much since joining the forum & really do appreciate all the knowledge that gets passed on to us. This system probably will be my system for a long time with the exception of minor tweaks such as carts so its very important to me to get it right.

10. mdelrossi

mdelrossi Forum Resident

I'd have to agree, get the most table now. cartridges come and go.
    I've had my VPI HW-19 for 25+ years, and a few cartridges have come and gone since then. Each time I was able to improve on the sound.

If you could find something used you'd be able to get more table. But then there's always that new table smell ;)

11. macster

macster Forum Resident

Lay low for a used VPI Classic 1 series for ~$1900.00 and then smile all the way to the bank.

M~

12. putz

putz Forum Resident

Based on your avatar, a used Aries wouldn't be the worst choice either.

13. macster

macster Forum Resident

Agreed, they are wonderful at least mine is.

M~

14. Upinsmoke

Upinsmoke Well-Known Member

Keep an eye out for B-stock VPI's also. You can knock the price down on those too - one phonecall can save you hundreds. Even new there is a lot of wiggle room.

15. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

My vote would be for the Scout 1.1 or of course a Classic if you could come across one. Best of luck!

16. dividebytube

dividebytube Forum Resident

Just a point of reference - when I bought my VPI Aries 1, I initially only had a Denon DL-110 around. It sounded fantastic for a $139 cart. Moving up the the Dynavector 10X5 - which isn't that expensive either - was a jump up in quality, but still not as major as one would think. I'll get the Dynacvector 20X next but I'm in no hurry.

My general thinking is that the table/arm make a larger difference in the character of the sound than the cart alone. Of course they work together as a system, and, for example, a budget Audio Technica AT95E is going to sound different than an Ortofon 2M Black - but I would rather spend the money on an expensive turntable first, knowing I can always upgrade the cart at a later time.

17. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Buy the scout and work your way up the cartridge food chain as you can.

18. putz

putz Forum Resident

I was lucky enough to find a mint Aries 1 with the JMW Memorial Classic tonearm LOCALLY a couple of years ago. Eventually put a Dyna 20xl on it. VPI tables are built like tanks so most used ones will be as good as new.

A B stock table would also be a good buy. Some of the online dealers like Music Direct sell them. Call them and inquire.

If you're looking for a table that will be the last one you buy, the Traveller is a no go and the Scout 1.1 is a maybe. That leaves Classic, Aries, Scoutmaster and regular Scout in that order.

Best tweak is the $50 Soundsmith Counterintuitive that will help you easily dial in VTA and VTF. Then get a Digital scale, better feet and a solid base (Maple). Best pricey tweak is the SDS.

Balthazar likes this.
  19. fly4x4

fly4x4 Forum Resident

I also recommend the Scout ( better table first ) and then you will be able to move up the chain as far as carts go.

20. Balthazar

Balthazar Forum Resident

I tend to agree with this line of thinking. As painful as it may sound right now, keeping what you have until you have enough money set aside for the Classic, new or used, with a $100-200 cartridge, sounds like the best way to go for long term happiness.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2014
  21. Leigh

Leigh https://orf.media

I'll give two big thumbs up for the Traveler - which likely will indeed be the last table I ever buy (but, who knows!). My price point was lower than yours, though. See my profile for what I have it matched to. I'm very happy with it. It's my first "real" table, and I've never heard any of the other VPIs, just FYI.

22. macster

macster Forum Resident

You are right sir. I'm still using the Shure M97XE/Jico SAS on my table for my daily spinning nail and have a Goldring GL2500 on standby for special occasions.

M~

23. ellingtonic

ellingtonic Forum Resident

The Scout is a great value. I've owned several and am about to upgrade to a Classic. You may be able to find a used Scout. Mine will be for sale soon, lol. A used table that's been taken care of should last a long time and save you some money.

I've only heard the Traveller once and it wasn't in the best setup, but it's also a nice table. My advice is to get the best table you can with something like a Dynavector 10x5 or even a Denon DL 103!and enjoy the heck out of it.

24. Subvet

Subvet Forum Resident

My Scout 1.1 may well be the last table I buy. It is certainly the top piece in my system.

paulewalnutz likes this.
  25. KOWHeigel

KOWHeigel Forum Resident

I own both a Scout and a Classic and the Scout is certainly good enough to be the last table you ever need to buy.

paulewalnutz likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.