Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #53)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Jan 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John S

John S Forum Resident

Maybe they think the unwashed masses of the New World would have no interest in an arts quiz. :)

You've kept this secret very well -- as you know I've read every post in these threats since #1.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2014
  2. John S

John S Forum Resident

That reminds me, I tried and tried with to get into this important piece back in the seventies. No joy.
    I used to have this beautiful set:

[​IMG]

Mr Bass likes this.
  3. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

Nine out of ten, but I was guessing several as well . (If you don't know number six, and I didn't, that feels like a pretty open field of options.) I'm certainly not an expert.

It was the second question I got wrong ... and I got it wrong with such confidence that I'm rather irritated by that! :p

4. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

One of his few accessible works! :D I tried and tried with Britten myself, with varying rates of success, but if it's any consolation I don't think there's any shame in not liking his music.

John S likes this.
  5. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Same here.

6. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

Sorry it has taken a couple of days to get back, I have just played this piece fairly loud, it is my favorite performance and did not remember any bass problems. The bass is deep but with my pressing on my system it is no way overt, and the recording is good.
    My pressing is quite late the bright red with blue top, center label, maybe earlier pressings are cut differently.

huge logo likes this.
  7. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

You scored 10 out of a possible 10
    Fortississimo
    Bravo! Encore! You are probably one of the few people in the British isles who still regularly attend classical concerts - more power to you!

Of course I was also pretty good with Trivial Pursuit back in the day. This is not a music quiz but a trivia quiz NB.

NB again British critics are so parochial they think you must be British to get a 10.

John S and Robin L like this.
  8. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

BTW. I got nine out of ten on the Guardian quiz, still don't know if it was the Debussy or Britten I failed in.
    I do not think Britten's War Requiem is the easiest of him to come to terms with. Try the violin concerto, Les Illuminations, the Serenade for tenor, horn and strings, Noye's Fludde and the beautiful String Quartettes,the Spring and Simple Symphonies all in superb Decca/Argo recordings.

Robin L likes this.
  9. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Not the world's biggest fan of Britten, but found Noye's Fludde very moving and the original LP a remarkable audio production. There's a recording of the Young People's Guide to the Orchestra led by the composer on Decca/London sans narration well worth seeking out both as performance and sound.

10. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

You an Elliott Carter fan, to me he is the great American composer.

11. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

I more of a fan of anyone who makes it to 104. As for "Great American Composer" I'm torn between Duke Ellington and Charles Ives but there are times when I seriously wonder what a Randy Newman symphony would sound like.

John S likes this.
  12. Mr Bass

Satie made the joke about La Mer. May Queen was the answer to the Britten question concerning Albert Herring although technically it was as an (effeminate) May King.

The only Britten piece that I listen to regularly is Prince of the Pagodas although it does have a few longeuers. His operas are more dramatically effective than musically captivating IMO. The other mentions are certainly worth a listen and many will find at least one or two worth having.

13. John S

John S Forum Resident

I had no idea who the "Red Priest" was, and who made the clever comment anent "La Mer." I figured "crowned the village may queen" was correct because....well you know...;)

14. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

Playing Beethoven Pathetique, Solomon the world has become still.

Mr Bass likes this.
  15. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

When Moravec plays it, the world becomes an earthquake.

Scott Wheeler and royzak2000 like this.
  16. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

That's why I picked countertenor. :hide: But and in any case "La Mer" was guesswork.

John S likes this.
  17. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

And me, all though if I had really thought about I would have remembered his his friend Peter sang it. not a piece I play often, like my opera sad. Although there are touching moments.

18. Mr Bass

Vivaldi was called the Red Priest.

John S likes this.
  19. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

Robin I visited Fresno in 1979 on a Greyhound trip between Arizona and California, don't remember much I'm sorry, a big red brick building on a corner, and finding that I should have taken the coast road.
    The wine country was good to see, but I know you are going to tell me what I missed over two days in Fresno.

20. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

I have a recording of Beethoven forth Con by Moravec. on tape, from the radio I don't know the conductor it is my favorite.

Scott Wheeler likes this.
  21. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Not much.

22. John S

John S Forum Resident

I kind of wrote Britten off after the War Requiem non-start but I'll admit to enjoying this:

[​IMG]

I got this because I was curious about Bridge and I was interested in the sea theme of this album. I enjoy it, even though a lot of this music sounds like well-conceived movie music to me.

23. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

[​IMG]

I'll be playing this thrift-store special later today, Andre Previn, LSO in Britten:

[​IMG]

John S likes this.
  24. John S

John S Forum Resident

I figured Stravinsky was the author of that sardonic statement.

25. huge logo

huge logo Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reply -- sorry I wasn't clear -- they were referring to the HDTracks release when I chimed in. I guess when I quoted it I left that out. -- I would love to have a vinyl pressing like you have. It is a great performance.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.