Record stores in New York

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by ekymetal, Mar 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AndyNicks

AndyNicks Forum Resident

There used to be a little hole in the wall place on Jones St. Off bleeker, called Strider Records. Haven't checked in years to see if it's still around because it was a tight place and you had to ask the guy to bring what you were looking for. Very right, but I did score some Wings 45's that I was looking for back in the day. If I'm in the village I hit Generation, Bleeker St Records and maybe House of Oldies with the cranky guy inside.

2. ekymetal

ekymetal Member Thread Starter

Anyone know of any in Hells kitchen ?
    I hope this is a nice place and not as the name suggests!!!

3. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead Forum Resident

Go to Generation and then Other Music, within close walking distance of each other. easy subway ride from Hell's Kitchen on the A,C or E

ekymetal likes this.
  4. JoeRockhead

When is your trip? The WFMU Record Fair is coming early this year - May 30, 31 & June 1 at the Lexington Ave Armory

5. JoeRockhead

Hells Kitchen is nice. Many restaurants on 9th Ave

Hep Alien, Sneaky Pete and bundee1 like this.
  6. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

ah another iteration of this thread

it's really sad because even in the 90s New York had some incredible record stores. I used to wander around the Village to for 6-8 hours sometimes just hitting the various Kim's locations (all the ones I frequented are gone) , Subterranean Records on Cornelia (long gone) and Tower Records on West 4th and Broadway. Even though Other Music was there for a chunk of the time I was hitting that neighborhood regularly for music they were (for the time) overpriced and always thought they were a little too cool for the room. Plus, Tower actually stocked most of the stuff Other Music had anyway. Cut to the present day and places like Other Music and Rebel Rebel, a store I considered to be the dregs of NYC record shopping, are among the last men standing. there were a bunch of cool hole-in-the-wall spots off Bleecker and West 4th, all of which went out of business a long time ago. now we're left with the aforementioned two (both of which are pretty good), and Generation and Bleecker Street Records (which used to house a store called Golden Oldies). The latter two are same ownership and more or less the same store, though you're some times forced to check out both since they fill in each other's gaps.

regardless, your best bet in the New York area is the Princeton Record Exchange. Generation and Bleecker Street Records are basically a dime-a-dozen where inventory is concerned - stuff you can order online for less money - and you're likely to do better looking for used records elsewhere. to the person who called Generation the best punk record shop he'd ever been to, dude...all I can say is I am really sorry.

Sneaky Pete likes this.
  7. cc--

cc-- Forum Resident

where to go for jazz records now that J&R is gone? ... for example, the current reissue of Miles Davis's E.S.P. -- where to find that locally?

8. motionoftheocean

Generation, Bleecker Street Records and Other Music all get that stuff but again, you'll probably do better price-wise ordering online.

9. cc--

cc-- Forum Resident

true, but sometimes I'd rather pay a few $ than have to worry about tracking etc. and just bring the thing home... guess I can try these places but I don't recall any of them stocking jazz, classic jazz, at least.

Bleecker always struck me as a place for tourists who couldn't find Bleecker Bob's. Generation... yeah.

10. motionoftheocean

they all get jazz reissues. I nearly bought the recent Kind of Blue reissue last Friday night at Generation.

cc-- likes this.
  11. drasil

drasil Former Resident

Juan has you covered, ekymetal--I would second all his suggestions, especially those in greenpoint/williamsburg in brooklyn with the exception of the thing*. and inside manhattan, similarly good recommendations: other music, Kim's, bleecker st, rebel rebel, generation, sounds.

please ignore those who will tell you there are no record stores left in the city. it's true that we've lost more than a few, and this understandably remains a sore spot for those who had a close personal attachment to them. but as you can see from the twenty-odd shops that have been named here, we're lucky enough to have a population which is still capable of and interested in supporting brick-and-mortar record stores. and compared to the total annihilation of these outlets other cities are experiencing, NYC is downright thriving. I guarantee if you visit some of the shops Juan mentioned, you'll have a great time--and the greenpoint trip will take you to north brooklyn, which everyone wants to visit these days.

*which is sort of a dusty basement crammed with thousands of unorganized thrift store records--probably not be the experience you're after or one you'll have time for. also, the building most likely has bedbugs.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2014
    Hep Alien likes this.
  12. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

I liked Academy. It's been 4 or 5 years, but it was the only place where I didn't feel the prices were higher than a standard record store found in a smaller city.

Hep Alien, Sneaky Pete and drasil like this.
  13. hockman

hockman Forum Resident

I don't agree that NYC is 'thriving' when it comes to record shops. Stores have been decimated and prices are high (inevitable due to the high rents). NYC is nowhere close to what it was in 1990s-2000s for record shopping. Last time I was there (a few years ago), I went to Academy, Good Records, Big City and A-1. Not sure if they are still around but worth visiting. Even since then, Tropicalia in Furs and Gimme Gimme (2 stores with interesting stock) have shuttered.

Your best bet is to take the New Jersey Transit (from Penn Station) to Princeton (change @ Princeton Junction to the 'dinky' to Princeton campus) or a bus (1.5 hr ride). You can spend the day there browsing Princeton Record Exchange while your family spend a pleasant afternoon walking or biking around the picturesque Princeton University campus.

14. motionoftheocean

feels a lot like the dude who said NYC record stores are "downright thriving" didn't live here before the 2000s

EasterEverywhere likes this.
  15. ekymetal

It seems there are a few to visit ,thanks so much .
    In my home town we have 3 stores !
    Most of the vinyl I get is on line or garage sales.
    I have no idea where these places are ,so will google them .
    We are leaving Australia on the 17th June .
    I am sure I will fill my spare suitcase full of records!
    In Australia there is a big resurgence in vinyl and prices are sky high .
    One local store here has good stock and prices ,and visit there weekly.
    But as someone said US pressings are hard to find here ,so am looking forward to that.
    My interests are rock ,metal ,kraut rock ,ambient ,Bowie zeppelin anything interesting really.
    Be great to catch up with some of you for some local beers!
    Cheers ek

drasil likes this.
  16. jjhunsecker

jjhunsecker Senior Member

I've said it before : it retrospect, the 1990s were the height of music shopping in NYC. You had J&R, Tower, Virgin, HMV, and all thee little stores in the East and West Village, several of which carried "unauthorized" releases. Hell, even the Wiz had a decent selection. I could always find what I wanted, and had the option of shopping around for the best price.

Keith V likes this.
  17. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

from the 60's till the 90's the Village. NYC was a goldmine for great records...most of the greats are gone, but IIRC Sounds on St. Marks Place is still there...

18. bopdd

bopdd Senior Member

I only shopped in NY record stores starting a few years ago, so I can't attest as to what compared with what, but I have to say that based on my experience Amoeba is as good as it gets. And I've been to a LOT of record stores by now. Amoeba has the most incredible selection of new and used music I've seen so far.

I agree. Princeton Record Exchange is definitely a cut above the rest as far as east coast selection.

It's unfortunate that this isn't a thread about the west coast. There are a ton of great record stores in LA and the surrounding areas.

19. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

OK, that was me. I've never seen a store around here that's had as much punk stuff. Not necessarily vintage, but please... tell me where to go!

I'm not being sarcastic at all - I'm serious.

drasil likes this.
  20. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

Sounds is gone too.......or in the process of closing.

21. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

WOW! that's too bad...

22. innercircle

innercircle Forum Resident

Oh, I probably downgrade Amoeba, it was not my intention, is just that NY had in my opinion about three or four Amoebas in all their music stores, of course that I loved the great selections I saw on Amoeba few years ago, and it's very probable that we do again the travel to there.

23. bopdd

bopdd Senior Member

I guess there's also the chance that we shop for different things. But as someone who buys used vinyl, Amoeba is like a mecca. Sometimes I truly can't believe the rare vinyl I find there on a weekly basis.

24. ekymetal

I'm in Australia is this store in New York ?
    Thanks for all the comments .
    So there are not many in the CBD?

25. bopdd

bopdd Senior Member

Sorry. Amoeba is in LA (there's also one in Berkeley and San Fran). If you get the chance to visit LA while you're in the states, please PM me. There are a ton of great stores out here and I'd be happy to give you the rundown.

ekymetal likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.