What is the worst film you have ever seen? (Pt. 3)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MilesSmiles, Mar 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MilesSmiles

MilesSmiles Oenologist Thread Starter

2. stumpy

stumpy Forum Resident

Mr. Mike's Mondo Video - 1979. The only movie I ever walked out on. Didn't even make it half way. And I think Kentucky Fried Movie was a masterpiece. The Groove Tube a classic.

joelee and gramfan like this.
  3. Not worst but pretty bad for a major Hollywood movie-The Counselor.

4. Burt

Burt Forum Resident

At least two or three Elvis movies were so bad I couldn't make it to the halfway point.

5. SecondHandNews

SecondHandNews Forum Resident

maybe The Game.

6. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

when I was a kid I watched Help on TV and thought it was pretty good. Last time it was on I tried to watch it and was rolling around the floor in agony.

7. The Snodger

The Snodger Forum Resident

Sucker Punch, absolute rubbish. No plot, CGI overload, music track too loud, appalling acting. Just bad in possible way.

Second worst, Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow. I took the DVD outside and smashed it up with a hammer after watching it.

8. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

My wife loves that movie...I hated the whole thing!

SecondHandNews likes this.
  9. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

Several of Elvis' movies are rather cheesy, but I wouldn't necessarily call them "bad".

10. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

That Robert Redford film Sneakers. The only reason anyone would watch it was star power.
    The Color of Money must be the biggest waste of talent in US cinema history. You don't even see the final pool game. The director was probably influence by Rosemary's Baby where you never see the baby.

Lightworker likes this.
  11. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

I agree 100%.

12. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Can't disagree there - one of the worst scripts I've ever seen. Cormac McCarthy might be a good novelist but he wrote a simply atrocious script...

Mark Nelson and Drifter like this.
  13. The director was Martin Scorsese. Not one of his best IMHO but it has its moments.

14. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

IMO, "Color of Money" was good a) in the 80s and b) if you were 19 and thought "The Hustler" was a boring downer.

Yeah, that was me! :)

As an adult, I see "CoM" as a 2-hour beer commercial, really - that's how it plays. It's the antithesis of the dark character study we saw in "The Hustler" - it's the same kind of story but with a happy ending this time, kinda like "Rocky II".

I thought it was great in 1986 but don't care for it now...

15. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

The Human Centipede tied with Avatar!

16. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

we liked it...it never quit screwing with your head...

17. Oh I still finding it enjoyable. It's certainly in the spirit of the Goons and clearly had an influence (and was influenced by) pop culture at the time. I really can't see why you'd be rolling around in agony. Seems a bit extreme unless you were in a Monty Python sketch.

Seems a bit extreme reaction. Might have been easier to throw it into the sky so it could be a part of the world of tomorrow.

Rolling in agony, smashing a DVD with a hammer what do they put in the water down there? ;)

PhilJol and Dudley Morris like this.
  18. Newman gives a nice performance in the film and it is worth watching for that but beyond that I would agree. Those moments are fleeting but they do give some "color" to the film.

Tom Cruise was badly miscast and the script was pretty poor.

I thought "The Game" was pretty good if implausible...still enjoyable.

19. conception

conception Forum Resident

I have to say, the newest version of Red Dawn really stands out to me. I knew it was going to be bad, but it was beyond bad. The characters were horrible, unlikeable and poorly developed throughout the script. Everything in the plot was "uncannily" linked even more so than George Lucas did with the prequels. The main bad guy just happens to chose your father's office as his own? Give me a break. Almost as ridiculous is him having a vendetta against them before they became partisans, because they got in a car wreck during an invasion and (even worse) some stupid girl acted hysterical so she gets put in a special camp? What I found hilarious was after they decided to become partisans, they had the Hemsworth character narrate all the interesting steps the took in establishing themselves. I thought, you just took everything that could have made this interesting and turned it into a montage! Sure, good movies use these elements when they are building towards a climax and the main character and story developments have already taken place, but this movie substituted a montage for any sort of character development!

20. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Tom Cruise had no idea how to act at the time. If he had to show any emotion he'd kick the furniture. Same in Rain Man. By the time he did Collateral he'd worked it out.

DrZhivago and wayneklein like this.
  21. Remurmur

Remurmur Music is THE BEST! -FZ

Maybe not the absolute worst, but I do remember seeing the movie Toys (Robin Williams) at the theatre and spending most of the time in my seat thinking about what I could have done instead with the ticket money and desperately hoping for the credits to suddenly appear.

wayneklein and Fullbug like this.
  22. Interesting. I thought Mr. Mike was OK.

Kentucky Fried Movie had moments and The Groove Tube is a masterpeice and a classic.

23. Remurmur

Remurmur Music is THE BEST! -FZ

I will say that whether by acting ability or just plain luck, Cruise did make his character one of the most unlikeable jerks that I have ever seen on film.

I really wanted to punch his lights out by the end of the movie, especially after he stole Eddie's victory away from him by claiming it was actually a setup.

24. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

One of my all-time favorites! I love that movie.

Not that I think it will convince you otherwise, but the final game is not shown because it's beside the larger point, that Fast Eddie is back, playing pool authentically -- "play for play" -- instead of constantly hustling. Hustling pool, hustling his girlfriend, hustling liquor. At this point in the film, Cruise's character is established as a much better player and we can assume he would lose an evening's worth of games to Fast Eddie only if there was an angle to it.

I really like that the story, which was following the standard master/apprentice trot -- a staple of Tom Cruise films at the time; think TOP GUN, DAYS OF THUNDER, etc. -- is upended in COLOR OF MONEY. By teaching/corrupting Tom Cruise's character, Fast Eddie himself is delivered from cynicism back into innocence.

We see Newman's cynicism begin to erode when the girlfriend has to put a stop to Cruise's demolition of the standing nine-ball champion: "What are you doing," she sneers at Fast Eddie, who previously had been the one to abort odds-wrecking behavior, "Meditating?"

Last edited: Apr 2, 2014
    AndrewS likes this.
  25. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

For me, it's a tie between Armageddon, Pearl Harbor, or any of the Transformer movies.

And honestly, I didn't realize until just a minute ago that Pearl Harbor was also a Michael Bay movie. Boy, that explains a lot...

yesstiles likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.