Record Revirginizer?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by buckeye1010, Apr 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

I've only done it a handful of times, although it always came off easily in one clean "stamper". I use just enough to coat the record, spreading with an old credit card.

2. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

It's silly and messy. Just get a vacuum record cleaner and be done with it. Just the thought of having to leave a glue-covered record out for hours and hours to let it dry makes my skin crawl...

Linto and MartyTem like this.
  3. druboogie

druboogie Maverick Stacker

Dont knock it till you tried it. :goodie:You can probably use a credit card with the goo too so the fingers stay clean.

4. vinyldoneright

vinyldoneright pbthal

You can make your own batch of this stuff for pennies. I have used the Aussie product with great results but when someone clued me in on this article from 30 years ago on how to make your own, I gave it a shot and it is pretty much the exact same thing as the Revirginizer product only better. Anyone who claims this is "silly" or "foolish" just has no knowledge whatsoever of what this stuff can do, and any statements to the effect that just using a vacuum record cleaner will get similar results are just plain ignorant.

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=86099

5. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

We got a nosy cat in my house. Guaranteed, she'll walk right across the record while it's drying. If I fire up the VP-17 vacuum cleaner, she's out of the room in 1/4 second.

I'm with Chadbang: the potential for disaster with leftover goop in the grooves is too much of a negative for me. The vacuum cleaners positively work, don't cost that much (down to $150 if you shop around), and you're completely finished in 2 minutes. No way would I use a method that takes hours and hours to accomplish.

The FRiNgE likes this.
  6. JBStephens

JBStephens I don't "like", "share", "tweet", or CARE. In Memoriam

The website says "RECORD REViRGiNiZER isn't just a record cleaner, it actually restores your vinyl records close to their original condition by using a revolutionary anti-static polymer that works like a facemask on the grooves of your record."

I've been using "a revolutionary anti-static polymer that works like a facemask on the grooves of your record" for years. It's called RainX.

7. druboogie

druboogie Maverick Stacker

Yeah I know, I dont like the shpiel that make for the revirginizer either. I nothing restores records to virgin vinyl. He really hyped up the product to sell.

The FRiNgE likes this.
  8. psulioninks

psulioninks Forum Resident

This is true with wood glue, but the Revirginizer product does not leave any residue in the grooves. I've used it a number of times, and as long as it has had sufficient time to cure, there are no issues. However, buying this product is not cheap (per cleaning at least). I will have to look into the DIY formula.

9. vinyldoneright

vinyldoneright pbthal

My house might not be typical but we have these things called doors, and when you shut them, things like cats can not enter what is behind them.

drahffir, Ben Adams and druboogie like this.
  10. TimArruda

TimArruda Well-Known Member

Thanks! I was curious about this stuff, but not at the prices it's sold at. Making my own is a different story. I've tried wood glue, and it works, but too much of a pain removing it, and huge static charge left.

11. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

12. googlymoogly

googlymoogly Forum Resident

I've done wood glue cleaning with success with some really grungy LPs, but when all is said and done, your time has to be worth something to you - and I'd rather not spend it screwing around with wood glue and similar cleaning methods. It also requires some space to spread out even a few records, and if you don't have that readily available, your S.O. or your kids will make sure the lengthy drying process is as big a hassle as cleaning the damn LPs by hand.

13. The FRiNgE

The FRiNgE Forum Resident

If the cat had its way, there would be no doors! I think the music would stay, most cats love music!

14. Muzyck

Muzyck Pardon my scruffy hospitality

I have to figure out what I need to do to get wood glue not to work. I've done about twenty LPs and never had an issue with any of them. I use Titebond II in a consistent layer, wait until it is translucent and peel it off in one piece. It has worked every time without any residue.

15. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

And how long does it take to dry? How much time do you have to devote to it?

Have you ever used a vacuum record cleaner before? It takes about 2 minutes, and I'm impatient for that to finish. I can't imagine waiting through a 3-4 hour process.

16. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

There's a lot of things that are silly and messy that are really worth it on account of being silly and messy and all that. :hide:

luckyno13 likes this.
  17. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Thanks for the brand name, there's a hardware store a block away.

18. Muzyck

Muzyck Pardon my scruffy hospitality

It takes about three minutes to put glue on the record. It dries overnight. I don't really need to stand and watch it, so in the end it takes about three minutes of "devotion".

I have used an RCM for over fifteen years. I have a few thousand LPs. I have found that there are records that don't respond to liquids no matter how many times they are scrubbed with enzymatic fluids, diluted alcohol, water, "pure water", etc. For those hard core cases, it is worth the patience. I saved a nice copy of The Beatles White Album U.K. with -1 / -1 / -1 / -1 stampers a few weeks ago that would not play through without skipping and sounding like chit even after multiple cleanings. It sure did look nice, but had something in the grooves that would not let go. Wood glue did the trick. Sounds VG++ now.

Don't knock it until you have tried it. Not necessary in every case, but it is a lot easier than it sounds when you need to bring out the big guns.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 12, 2014
    drahffir and MMM like this.
  19. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Have you ever used a vacuum record cleaner?

I'm reminded of Woody Allen's line: "Sex is very messy... especially if you're doing it right."

20. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

This is good enough for me. I don't think there's anyone else on this board with as much practical experience cleaning LPs with RCMs for doing needledrops as this poster, so if he says it works, then I'm sold.

21. imarcq

imarcq Men are from Mars, I'm from Bromley...

When I was at Art College we used to buy something called Marvin Medium that could be mixed with water. We used to paint with it, add colour, or use it to stick things. Kids use it at school. I'm wondering if it's the same stuff that can be used to clean LPs. I bet it is......cheap as chips too!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Homecrafts-Marvin-Medium-5-Litre/sim/B008MYRNZ6/2

marvin medium

The white gluey stuff you used to use in 'arts and crafts' at primary school. No good for sniffing, very good for sticking bog roll tubes onto washing-up liquid bottles (remember to empty them first and get your mum's permission, not your dad's, it has to be your mum's). Probably not still available, like free milk at breaktime and golden nuggets.

teacher: let's make a spaceship by sticking all this rubbish together with marvin medium.
    pupil: let's humour the silly cow.
    other pupils: like we have a choice.

rischa likes this.
  22. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

a guy create a new formula trying to do a better product and less expensive it’s called WYNIL Record Cleaner.

I read this around:

"I‘ve tested with very satisfactory results, I think with results even better than Revirginizer"

it would be nice try it...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. nm_west

nm_west Forum Resident

I definitely will have to give that a try. :agree:

24. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

I've used that on my car's winshield with amazing results. But on a record ? Can you expand ? Thanx.

25. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

that's $1000 vs $5

The Pinhead likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.