Fargo FX Original Series

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Scope J, Mar 15, 2014.

1. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member Thread Starter

2. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

This strikes me as rather a weird idea for an ongoing series, though it features some first rate acting talent and I like a lot of the stuff that FX has been putting on lately. No Marge Gunderson in this version? It's hard to imagine Fargo without her. . .

melstapler likes this.
  3. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Buttload of trailers on YouTube too.

4. lyniv

lyniv Forum Resident

Yeah, strange idea. The one video on the official site of Billy Bob cutting a steak is strange too. We'll see!

5. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

The promo videos for this have been pretty good. And with Billy Bob Thornton and Martin Freeman, I'll give it a shot.

6. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

This sounds like a terrible idea but who knows - maybe it will work .

7. agentalbert

The plot (from IMDB): "A drifter named Lorne Malvo arrives in small-town Minnesota and influences the population with his malice and violence, including put-upon insurance salesman Lester Nygaard."

Seems like Lester is the show's version of Jerry Lundegarde. I don't think we'll see the same exact characters or character names as in the movie. This isn't a TV version of the movie, its a TV show in a similar setting. Martin Freeman (as the insurance salesman) seems like great casting for that part. Ditto Billy Bob Thornton as "Malvo".

8. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

About The Show

An original adaptation of the Academy Award®-winning feature film, Fargo features an all-new "true crime" story and follows a new case and new characters, all entrenched in the trademark humor, murder and "Minnesota nice" that made the film an enduring classic. Oscar® winner Billy Bob Thornton stars as "Lorne Malvo," a rootless, manipulative man who meets and forever changes the life of small town insurance salesman "Lester Nygaard," played by BAFTA Award® winner and Emmy®-nominated Martin Freeman. Colin Hanks plays Duluth Police Deputy "Gus Grimly," a single dad who must choose between his own personal safety and his duty as a policeman when he comes face-to-face with a killer. Allison Tolman also stars as "Molly Solverson," an ambitious Bemidji deputy.

Rounding out Fargo’s colorful cast of recurring characters will be Emmy winner Bob Odenkirk as "Deputy Bill Oswalt," Golden Globe™ and Emmy-nominated Oliver Platt as "Stavros Milos," Screen Actors Guild Award® winner Kate Walsh as "Gina Hess," Glenn Howerton (It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia) as "Don Chumph," Joey King as "Greta Grimly," Peter Breitmayer as "Lieutenant Schmidt," Tom Musgrave as "Bo Munk," Josh Close as "Chazz Nygaard," Russell Harvard as "Mr. Wrench" and Adam Goldberg as "Mr. Numbers."

A 10-episode limited series, Fargo is written by Noah Hawley. Emmy Award-winning director Adam Bernstein directed the premiere hour. Hawley, Warren Littlefield, Joel & Ethan Coen and Geyer Kosinski serve as executive producers. Fargo is produced by FX Productions and MGM Television.

With Billy Bob Thornton in this, and the 11 snippets from the first season, it looks like it'll have it's own quirkiness and violence. I'll definitly be watching. :)

Larry Mc likes this.
  9. agentalbert

Looks great. I always get a kick out of Oliver Platt.

melstapler and Larry Mc like this.
  10. agentalbert

Looking forward to this.

11. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

This could suck or be great. Reminds me of how I felt about True Detective. And FX has a good track record. I'll be watching.

12. heatherly

heatherly Well-Known Member

Wait, limited series?

13. rburly

I saw that too and it concerns me. I'm really looking forward to it. I loved the movie. When my ex-wife and I were visiting the in-laws, we rented the video for the evening entertainment. When everyone else went to bed, I watched it again.

From the shorts they've shown about this show, it looks to be it's own funny, creepy and violent series. If it's a limited 8-10 episode run, I'll be wanting it to continue. Here's hoping that that's just a way to draw people in and clamor for more of the show when it's over.

heatherly likes this.
  14. Thomas D

Thomas D Forum Resident

Looks to me like even though different actors and story than the movie, it has the same spirit and comparable characters. I consider the movie one of the great movies of the 90s, so I am excited about this project.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2014
  15. JL6161

JL6161 Forum Resident

Martin Freeman? Bob Odenkirk? Adam Goldberg? Billy Bob Thornton? Trademark of quality, baby.

tonyc and heatherly like this.
  16. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

not sure about Martin Freeman accent? what do other people here think of it ?

17. rburly

A reminder that the season premiere starts Tuesday at 10 pm on FX: "The Crocodile's Dilemma".

Scope J likes this.
  18. rburly

If you look at the wife at 3:00, she's eating with her left hand. At 3:05 she's eating with her right hand. Hmm...

heatherly likes this.
  19. Mark Nelson

Mark Nelson Forum Resident

My local theater has been running a long-form promo/behind-the-scenes bit on this for the last week or so.

At first I thought it was an odd idea, but seeing the cast and that it's a short series, I'm interested. My knee-jerk
    reaction is that this is another attempt at a TWIN PEAKS/PICKET FENCES/PUSH, NEVADA, where a town
    full of quirky characters with a straight-man law official deal with weekly odd crimes/murders...but maybe now
    more than in the past the viewing public is ready to embrace something like this. Looks well done from the teaser
    I saw.

20. rburly

Did anyone see last night's premiere?

I don't think this is a spoiler, but the dark-black humor, IMO, was the darkest I've seen. I loved the episode and can't wait to see next week's show. If you liked the movie, I think you'll enjoy this show.

Ed Hughes likes this.
  21. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

We watched it last night, and thought it was quite good. Very much in the same flavor as the movie. I didn't think it was as quirky or funny as Fargo, the movie, but it's got a lot of potential.

rburly likes this.
  22. minerwerks

minerwerks Forum Resident

I liked the show, but the observation about it being very dark is spot-on. The one thing that kept springing to mind was that the movie "Fargo" worked with the idea of people in an innocent community coming to terms with the unexpected creeping in of darkness. The world of this series is much less innocent. We expect that the interloper character is going to be dark, but lot of people in the town seem to have a passive aggressive attitude. A few are outright terrible.

23. Chip Z

Chip Z Forum Resident

Didn't have a chance to watch it last night (did record it) but I did watch the movie (now avail on Neflix) to pre-game. Hadn't seen it since the theater. Loved it. Really looking forward to checking in on the show.

24. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

I have seen about half the pilot and I think it is great so far.

And I'm someone who thought the movie "Fargo" was good but not as great as everyone else seemed to think.

25. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

I was only able to watch the first 15 minutes or so before I got interrupted. But how weird is it to hear a different accent coming out of Martin Freeman's mouth? He has a very particular delivery that was constant across The Office, Sherlock, The Hobbit and whatever else I've caught him in, and it was rather unsettling to hear him talking like William H. Macy.

Dudley Morris and chodad like this.