The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. DrLunchbox

DrLunchbox Forum Deadhead #1604

I'm doing each show on the day it occurred. Tomorrow (4/17/72) is a favorite of mine! I've got RT4.3 playing at the moment.

JRM likes this.
  2. JRM

JRM Forum Resident Thread Starter

Anyone hear anything about whether the 5/4/79 Record Store Day release will also be released on CD?

3. JayB

JayB Senior Member

This show was the most eye opening for me in the E72 box..it hadn't circulated in good quality until the boxset.

The playing/improv on this night is among the best of the tour IMO...

4. JayB

JayB Senior Member

Disc 3 from this show is one of the best in the whole box!

5. DrLunchbox

DrLunchbox Forum Deadhead #1604

I caught some of Dave's special for this release on the Grateful Dead Sirius station yesterday on the way to work. He said there that it will be vinyl only... no CD, no downloads, nothing else.

6. ranasakawa

ranasakawa Forum Resident

Same here. Some great music inside! They get better with each CD.

7. JRM

8. JRM

Oh well. But it's not as if I am lacking in stuff to listen to! I have a serious backlog to catch up on. Plus - very stoked - won eBay auction for the Pure Jerry Warner Theater set. $58, never thought I would consider that a bargain for a JGB album!

Erik B. likes this.
  9. dajokr

dajokr Classical "Mega" Box Set Collector

One of the reasons I love this thread....broke this one out too, forgot how great it was. Now listening to One From The Vault ...

JRM likes this.
  10. Tridachnid

Tridachnid Forum Resident

We used the Bill Graham intro on 1FTV as our answering machine greeting in the early 90's. I dug how each instrument started as each player was introduced. Friends & family thought I was weird. I remember holding the machine near the speaker to lay down the track on the micro-cassette.

11. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

[​IMG]

Giving this one a second listen since it arrived in my mail box. Man, this is a GREAT version of Sugaree. Jerry's vocal just absolutely hits the spot.

12. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

must've had something to do with what Owsley was manufacturing.

ianuaditis and PhoffiFozz like this.
  13. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

seeing Phil on Friday and Saturday with John Scofield and Medeski on keys. Wowza !!!

mgb70 and JRM like this.
  14. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

I once purchased American Beauty because I was in high school and I really liked classic rock and it was supposed to be up my Hendrix/Zep/CCR/Traffic alley. Wow I really really really REALLY hated that album the first handful of times I heard it. I mean I HATED it with a passion. Why are these songs sooooo slow? Why are these guys singing that can't sing for ****? 0

I think it was in the summer before I went off to college that I started to like Friend of the Devil. Fast forward a few years and the Dead started to click with me. Saw them four times in a span of a year and a half. Then Jerry up and died.

Later on when I learned about trading Cd-rs and bought my first few Dick's Picks, the Dead REALLY started to click with me. I always binge listen. My latest - I have been listening them pretty much non stop since Dave's Picks three was released. That is quite a run.

I think if I only had to listen to one band the rest of my life, it would be the Dead. I probably wouldn't get bored. Sometimes I think . . .wow I really had to WORK to enjoy this band, but man am I glad I did. Makes me appreciate them that much more. My love for jazz is similar, but I don't recall HATING it upon first listen.

However, to this day I still don't care too much for Truckin'. :)

frightwigwam, ianuaditis and Olompali like this.
  15. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Hey. Yo. Long time lurker here and I decided to join the forum partly because this thread is just too fun to not join in! Anyway, I'll give a little run down my recent Dead sonic explorations:

• Earlier tonight: Dark Star>St. Stephen>NFA>GDTRFB>NFA from 4/28/71 (Thanks to Zod's mention of it recently)
    • Last Night: Disc 2 (end of Set 1) from 5/26/72. There's some incredibly delicate and groovy soloing on this (for '72) - that is, until Not Fade Away starts up - what a thunderous end to the set! Also I listened to the entire St. Louis 2/2/70 show (Dave's 6). Garcia's tone is extra grungy here and his playing is sharp, quick and vicious. Love it.
    • A few days ago: Set 2 from 9/27/72 (DP11) This Dark Star starts out average, but does it get super quick n' jazzy halfway through or what? Wow. After some lovely and unique playing near the end it transitions into....Cumberland Blues??!! So weird & so cool. I love the huge number of 1970 songs at this gig - the Attics of My Life was especially nice to hear.
    • Last week: was all about 1969 for me. I re-listened to parts of 12/12/69 to confirm its stature as a legendary show and one worth spending $ on. The slower-than-normal, deliberate playing during much of it is quite a contrast the fiery playing from a month earlier on 11/08/69 (DP16 - one of my top five DP's), but when Alligator/Caution/Feedback unfolds - oh my holy - a top version for sure. They are ON FIRE during this sequence. All hail the mighty Pigpen. I also listened to my favorite summer '69 show: 6/27/69. Jerry's pedal-steel work on Slewfoot & Dire Wolf is great - cosmic cowboy music indeed. Dark Star is a must-hear, IMO. It is very, very percussion heavy and the drumming gets particularly intense around the 20-minute mark. There's a bizarre, almost humorous twist near the end of the gig as The Eleven segues into none other than..."Green Green Grass of Home", LOL. Okay boys, we get it - you've really been digging on The Flying Burrito Brothers lately.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
    Micah, ianuaditis, Scopitone and 4 others like this.
  16. dajokr

Welcome!!

17. ivan_wemple

ivan_wemple Senior Member

Duh. This is what's referred to as a "no-brainer".

18. brew ziggins

brew ziggins Forum Prisoner

Grabbed a not terribly well-labelled disc for the car this morning, 9/26/72 D3 the first night of the EPIC Stanley Theatre run. Was hugely surprised after 35 minutes of a Trucking>Other One flirtation for the band to drop into a tasty It's All Over Now, Baby Blue. Turns out they'd played it a couple days earlier in Waterbury (also deep shows), but not that many times before, and just once after in the 70's:

3/12/66 Danish Center Los Angeles CA
    3/19/66 Carthay Studios Los Angeles CA
    7/16/66 Fillmore Auditorium San Francisco CA

4/6/69 Avalon Ballroom San Francisco CA
    4/26/69 Kinetic Playground Chicago IL
    5/31/69 McArthur Court - University of Oregon Eugene OR
    6/27/69 Veterans Auditorium Santa Rosa CA
    7/5/69 Kinetic Playground Chicago IL
    12/5/69 Fillmore West San Francisco CA

3/1/70 Family Dog at the Great Highway San Francisco CA
    6/4/70 Fillmore West San Francisco CA
    11/8/70 Capitol Theater Port Chester NY

9/23/72 Palace Theatre Waterbury CT
    9/26/72 Stanley Theatre Jersey City NJ
    2/24/74 Winterland Arena San Francisco CA
    ~~~
    8/14/81 Seattle Center Coliseum Seattle WA
    and into regular rotation...

Definitely my favorite Dead Dylan cover.

warewolf95 and JRM like this.
  19. dajokr

Agree, though for Jerry alone, I love his versions of Simple Twist of Fate.

LandHorses, JRM and shucky ducky like this.
  20. JRM

Video quality if obviously sketchy, but if you haven't seen this, it is Must See Jerry. I have never him seen him more animated than he is here, not even close actually. Growling out the lyrics too..."I'm gonna steal YOUR WIFE..." Seriously, this will put a smile on your face :)

21. JRM

And "Positively 4th Street" ;)

Also I absolutely love his take on "The Ballad of Frankie Lee and Judas Priest" but as far as I know (?) he never performed it live.

22. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

"Simple Twist Of Fate" is my favorite Jerry Garcia Band Dylan cover.

My favorite Jerry Grateful Dead Dylan cover was "She Belongs To Me".....only done in 1985. I always though this was beautifullt done despite his mid-80's voice not being up for it........

23. #OneOccupation

#OneOccupation Well-Known Member

I'm listening to part of the Rochester 83 show from one of the early Grateful Dead Hour lp's-
    anyone else have a GD Hour on vinyl, manufactured 87 to 89 or so I think? I don't see them around too much

24. JRM

Nice acoustic version...

ianuaditis and LandHorses like this.
  25. JRM

Scopitone and Olompali like this.