The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. JRM

JRM Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. DrLunchbox

DrLunchbox Forum Deadhead #1604

I always liked Jerry's "Tangled Up In Blue."

I've never been a huge fan of the Dead's Dylan covers (of the Chuck Berry songs for that matter). For me most of them are just over-played and boring. I also feel a bit shortchanged when a show has 2 or more Chuck Berry songs. YMMV, obviously.

3. ivan_wemple

ivan_wemple Senior Member

Word. "Promised Land", "Around & Around" and "Johnny B. Goode" are all the same song, anyway, right? Snoozers, for sure.

DrLunchbox likes this.
  4. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

i always liked promised land. has more drive than the others. to me anyway.

5. Andersoncouncil

Andersoncouncil Forum Resident

great idea for a thread! I would love to get some info for (officially released) Dead/JGB shows beyond what I own---which is nothing from Dick' picks, dave's picks, road trips:

Here is my Dead collection: so anything essential I am missing please advise!

Golden Road (12 cd box set)
    Beyond description (12 Cd box set)
    Jerry Garcia---All good things 6 CD box set
    One from the vault
    Two from the vault

It's interesting. Most people would say I've got a huge, pretty expansive collection, but with the Dead there is so much to explore!

ianuaditis, Scopitone and JRM like this.
  6. JRM

Was just going to make the exact same comment :)

ianuaditis likes this.
  7. JRM

Winterland 1973 box is essential in my book...

EDIT: and Winterland 77, and May 1977, and Europe 72...

Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
  8. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

Jerry: Keystone

Andersoncouncil likes this.
  9. dajokr

dajokr Classical "Mega" Box Set Collector

10. JayB

JayB Senior Member

Great post and welcome!

ianuaditis likes this.
  11. dajokr

dajokr Classical "Mega" Box Set Collector

I would get the Fillmore 1969 3CD set, which is still available at a reasonable price.

For a taste of latter-day live Dead, the 'So Glad You Came' compilation from the Spring 1990 box is pretty good.

I also see 'To Terrapin' still in stores, which is a live show from Hartford in 1977 and serves as a great intro to that era.

Finally, 'Sunshine Daydream', 8-27-72 is still on most shelves.

Based on any and all of those, just dive in where it sounds best to you. There's something to love on just about every Dick's Pick, Dave's Pick, Road Trips or vault release. But beware, your wallet will suffer ... :D

Andersoncouncil likes this.
  12. clgoss77

clgoss77 Forum Resident

Listening today to 2/15/1973 from the Dane County Coliseum in Madison, WI. I love how Phil just dominates Dark Star with his bass solo that then flows so well into Eyes of the World. The China > Rider in the first set, while missing the "Feelin' Groovy" bridge from 73-74, really rips as well.

ianuaditis likes this.
  13. DrLunchbox

Anything that has Help/Slip/Frank, Terrapin, Dark Star, The Other One, Uncle John's Band, or Crazy Fingers on it - for starters....

For latter day Dead I don't think you can go wrong with Without A Net, IMO.

erikdavid5000 and ianuaditis like this.
  14. DrLunchbox

A few years ago I heard a version of Around & Around that actually grabbed my attention. I was shocked. I think it was from Chicago '76, but I never bothered to seek it out because, well, it was Around & Around and it wasn't worth it.

Bananas&blow likes this.
  15. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I would say start with the Sunshine Daydream (8/27/72), which was recently released and easy to find, and one of the most well known, well regarded shows of all time. After that, the Ladies and Gentlemen... set from Fillmore East '71, and the Jerry Garcia, Merl Saunders et al. Keystone box set, the 3CD Fillmore '69 set, and either of the GD Winterland boxes.

But really, you can't go too wrong with whatever you can find for a decent price, and all of the suggestions you've been given are good ones.; once you have a better handle on particular eras you like best, you could then hunt down harder to find releases that you are most interested in.

Also, be aware that new limited edition releases often sell out FAST. Consider a Dave's Picks subscription for next year (available starting sometime in November), as it is a great bargain and you get a bonus disc and are guaranteed to get releases that otherwise often sell out in a few days (or even one day, which is what happened to the most recent release), plus subscribers pay less for each release.

bzfgt and Andersoncouncil like this.
  16. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I disagree, but I'm a big fan of Chuck Berry and the Stones (who, of course, do his stuff a bit more accurately). Well, post-Donna era, Around & Around became more than a bit perfunctory (although I think for a brief period around Spring '90 it got more interesting again), but otherwise, it's fun to hear Jerry rip on some double note lead lines. Promised Land has some nice harmony vocals from Jerry as well - I love it when he doubles up Weir's lead vocals with a harmony line, like on this tune and some of the earlier, and better, versions of When I Paint My Masterpiece and Desolation Row. "Had to be held down by big police!"

17. Andersoncouncil

Andersoncouncil Forum Resident

I always think of Around & Around, Promised land, Me & My Uncle etc... as moments where the Dead can kind of cool off a little bit, and not try to reach for the stars on an extended jam. With their long shows, they needed moments like this, just to recharge their batteries and play a good old 4 minute rock n' roll song.

SOONERFAN, Erik B. and Crispy Rob like this.
  18. DrLunchbox

A big YES to both of these suggestions. Ladies and Gentlemen is a SUPER SOLID release. I can't say enough good things about it. And SSDD, well, just trust us. It's money well spent.

ianuaditis and johnlightning like this.
  19. DrLunchbox

I'm not saying I don't like Chuck or the Stones (just to clarify), I just think the Dead WAY overdid the Chuck Berry tunes.

I actually really like their version of The Last Time, although It's All Over Now it a bit monotonous to me.

ianuaditis likes this.
  20. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I see your point. As with the Dylan covers, more than one per show can be a bit too much. I am fine with a high Dylan quotient in the solo Jerry, though.

Funny, I feel pretty much the opposite re: Last Time vs. It's All Over Now, but the era when they started playing the former probably has a lot to do with it,

21. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

It was also done in the 60s, except Bob sang it. We know this from interviews. No tapes unfortunately

ianuaditis likes this.
  22. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

7.16.90 Rich Stadium

Killer summer...

Set 1

Hell In A Bucket
    Mississippi Half-Step Uptown Toodleloo
    Blow Away
    Mama Tried ->
    Mexicali Blues
    Loose Lucy
    It's All Over Now
    High Time
    Let It Grow ->
    Don't Ease Me In

Set 2

Sugar Magnolia ->
    Scarlet Begonias ->
    Man Smart, Woman Smarter
    Ship Of Fools
    Truckin' ->
    Jam ->
    Drums ->
    Space ->
    The Wheel ->
    Gimme Some Lovin' ->
    Wharf Rat ->
    Around And Around ->
    Sunshine Daydream

Encore
    Brokedown Palace

23. JRM

Deadbase lists it on 1/7/66 at the Matrix, but it is not posted on the Archive. Dylan had only released it 10 months earlier on BIABH. Once Dylan got out of the "folkie" stuff and into electric is when he apparently grabbed Jerry's attention...

“I never used to like Bob Dylan until he came out with an electric music. And I’m not sure why I like that more. I sure liked it a lot more. Boy, when Bringing It All Back Home came out. Yeah, lovely. Very fine guitar player. [Bruce Langhorne] It just all of a sudden had something going for it. And Bob Dylan was getting a little less heavy. He was having a little more fun…and that was a nice change. And I remember another thing that turned me on a lot was when I saw Bob Dylan on television, on the Les Crane show. [February 1965] When he went on there and sang those songs, you know, and just rapped insanely. Beautiful mad stuff. And that turned us all on, we couldn’t believe it.”

“I dug his stuff really from Bringing It All Back Home. Back in the folk music days I couldn’t really dig this stuff, but on Bringing It All Back Home he was really saying something that I could dig, that was relevant to what was going on in my life at the time.”

24. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

ianuaditis likes this.
  25. Ellsworth

Ellsworth Forum Resident

Any general comments on this show and the SQ of this release? I have been eyeing this for a while but still have it gotten to it. 76 is a different animal so I am pretty curious about it. I am sure I am forgetting something but other than One From the Vault, I can't think of another release with Crazy Fingers on it.