DCC Archive Live at Leeds DE

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by John Buchanan, Oct 16, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

John, I think you right. At the time iirc I had the Midas touch boot. And was probably thinking that mfsl got a hold high quality master tapes- crackles and all!

2. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

MFSL without a doubt.

3. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Oh, and one more thing John. Isn't it time for a new avatar? You haven't aged a bit since 2001:D

4. Hellfrick

Hellfrick Forum Resident

Having been raised on the original LP, I'm still partial that that version, complete with the edits, the crackle, the incredibly quiet audience and (especially) the backwards guitar in "Magic Bus." I have an early Polydor CD (1987, printed in West Germany, 825 339-2) and to my ears, it's always sounded great. Does the trick. I also have a CD boot of the whole show, and it's the only other version I listen to, when in the mood. All the others, from '95 on, never floated my boat.

But here's my question: Why has there not yet been a Japanese SHM of the original Leeds LP version? I thought after the SHMs from 2011, when they went back to the pre-90s remasters, that a Leeds LP reissue was imminent. Instead, it's just been more releases of the Deluxe Version, which still falls short for me (mostly bec. of the mix, but also bec. the songs are edited and therefore it is NOT complete).

Odds are, no matter what other versions come out--even if there IS an SHM version--I'll still crank up the ol' 825 339-2!

5. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

The Japanese wanted to release a newly remixed, complete LAL a year or two ago. Alas, that didn't happen.

6. rbp

rbp Forum Resident

He wouldn't look the same without the koala ears. :)

7. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

Drats. They could fix Tommy.

I once compared the WG CD to the Jpn for US (which I believe is the same as the US CD), and I did prefer the (Jpn for) US CD. The WG CD is EQ'ed differently. Can't remember what I didn't like about it though!

8. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

^^^ I half wonder if the Japanese were told no, because if they did, then it would *really* come out how bad the Tommy portion of the DE sounds ...

9. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Doubtful, since the Japanese have already gotten all kinds of other unique stuff, often better than the releases already available. Plus, there would be no guarantee that the same thing wouldn't happen in a new remix.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.