Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #56)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, May 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I also have that RCA set, but I prefer the Boston performances: the playing is tighter and sounds better to me.

By the way, Davis recorded a third set, live with the London Symphony Orchestra for the orchestra's own label.

2. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I have all 3 sets, including his new RCA Legacy box and a few RCA singles ...

Last edited: Jun 29, 2014
  3. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

No violin concerto in my set. (I have Heifetz and Oistrakh) Also missing several other works.

4. ToddBD

ToddBD Forum Resident

On the turntable tonight...
    [​IMG]

EasterEverywhere and Joe071 like this.
  5. coopmv

Now playing CD23 - Buxtehude's Organ Works from the following box for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

Joe071 and bluemooze like this.
  6. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now listening to "Prokofiev - Violin Concerto No. 2/Sonata For 2 Violins Op.56/Sonata For Violin And Piano Op.80" performed by Janine Jansen/London Philharmonic Orchestra - Vladimir Jurowski/Boris Brovtsyn - Violin/Itamar Golan - Piano, on Decca.

[​IMG]

PH416156 and John S like this.
  7. coopmv

I have a few CD's by her, an excellent violinist ...

Andrew and bluemooze like this.
  8. AxC.

AxC. Forum Resident

Trying out some organ music

[​IMG]

bluemooze, ToddBD and Joe071 like this.
  9. Collector Man

Collector Man Well-Known Member

I am fast coming to the conclusion that the record labels' 'new gold rush' to put out and release 24bit/96Kz remasterings of anything they think , might sell.....are in many cases, something to take with a grain of salt.
    I;E : One kept seeing (and still do!) the raves about RCA's 'Living Stereo' of the 50's and 60's , as if it was the absolute 'ants pants' of recording. Too often, one only has to listen intently some of those recordings with electroststic or acute dynamic headphones to hear what is the truth
    What would appear....(when normally sonically masked when listening in a listening room through speakers)... are in some cases, areas of over modulation of the recording tapes ...and /or the types of microphone used, unable to fully handle the sudden sonics demands, that were placed on them. One quietly accepts the age of such particular recordings , grateful -one has a copy , and ignores what could be called, momentary flaws.
    The above illustrated cover for this even more ancient Walter Geiseking Debussy SACD release is a great example... outlandish claims about "High Definition Sound" , on the cover ???!!! What time era.... might they really be, suposedly be talking about?

10. Collector Man

Collector Man Well-Known Member

Now we are talking common sense .. The Gordon Fergus- Thompson Debussy set on Brilliant is something both truly satisfying and worth treasuring

11. John S

John S Forum Resident

I see her "violinist's neck" has been airbrushed a bit. Pretty woman though, with great taste in music. :thumbsup:

12. coopmv

:righton: I bought that set probably about a decade ago ...

13. Boris75

Boris75 Forum Resident

I fully agree that Gieseking's Debussy SACD box is not high-definition sound by any means. However, this box is by far my favourite recording of Debussy's piano music owing to the caliber of his interpretation.

J.A.W. and Robin L like this.
  14. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Yes, to me, interpretation always wins over sound. Lucky for me, some of my favorites for Debussy preludes (Arrau, Michalangeli and Zimerman) are in fine sound. Others, like Cortot and Richter, are in much worse sound, but the interpretation is so enjoyable the limitations of the sound are easily transcended.

Robin L and Joe071 like this.
  15. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

It may take me awhile to appreciate this CD. It is supposed to be an excellent interpretation of the spiritual madrigal (Italian), this one composed 1593-1594 by Roland de Lassus. 7 voices.

Lassus
    Lagrime di San Pietro
    Philiippe Herreweghe
    Ensemble Vocal European
    Harmonia Mundi HMC 901483
    [​IMG]

16. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

Two Japanese CDs of Mahler that feature excellent remastering of subpar CBS LPs. One is the Ormandy Sym 10 and Das Lied von der Erde with L;ewis and Chookasian. The other is a 2 CD issue of Walter's Das Lied with Ferrier and Patzak. The 2 CDs feature vocally spotlit mastering vs a more natural orchestral balance. Not sure why they did that unless Japanese want spotlit vocals.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

The Ferrier/Walter/VPO "Das Lied von der Erde" is from Decca. My LPs and CD have spotlit vocals, it was the way it was recorded in the first place some 60 years ago.

Joe071 likes this.
  18. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

My mistake as I was thinking about the later one with Haefliger and Miller. As for spot lit it seemed boosted from what I remember on the LP but maybe my system is better. Did you make a direct comparison of the Opus Kura with the others?

19. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Don't have the Opera Kura but have owned about six different pressings/masterings. The original LP has the vocals unnaturally forward. The vocalists on the later, NYPO recording were fairly well recessed, have the original Columbia 2-LP set plus the Odyssey reissue on LP of that one as well.

20. kevinsinnott

kevinsinnott Forum Coffeeologist

I started hearing Bernard Herrmann when you invoked the quotation from Sorry, Wrong Number! ;)

Further, I agree with you regarding overly echoey acoustics for symphonic recordings. Obviously, it's a case by case situation, but overall I prefer less liveness for most symphonic recordings. On the other hand, I just heard this recording the other day, which has been condemned by such publications as American Record Guide as being a swimming acoustic mess and it sounded superb through my system.

[​IMG]

jukes and Joe071 like this.
  21. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Do violinists ever suffer left ear hearing problems as time goes by?

22. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now listening to "Prokofiev/Stravinsky Violin Concertos" performed by Patricia Kopatchinskaja with the London Philharmonic Orchestra conducted by Vladimir Jurowski on Naïve.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

John S and Joe071 like this.
  23. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Piano Tuners do.

bluemooze likes this.
  24. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Why not their right ear, or are you joking with me? :)

25. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Both ears, but piano tuning appears to drastically up the chances of tinnitus.

bluemooze likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.