Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #56)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, May 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Here's a piano tuner with another problem.

http://92yondemand.org/william-trevor/

bluemooze likes this.
  2. tinpanalley

tinpanalley Forum Resident

Since writing this post, it's become essentially impossible anywhere near me to find the Thomas Tallis anniversary disc without it having this horrible CD artwork referencing the fact that 'Spem In Alium' is referenced in the book of the as-of-yet unreleased film of "50 Shades of Gray". I don't buy books with film posters on them in place of the actual cover and I sure as hell am not going to pay money for a rerelease of the disc when its beautiful cover art is ruined for the purpose of helping to sell a crap book. So, if anyone can think of something similar I can buy, I'd appreciate it. Maybe another Tallis compilation? I love the John Passion disc set idea from before but 30-ish dollars is out of my price range, unfortunately so I'm a bit back to square one. My backup is the Tallis Scholars Christmas disc. But if any of you helping me a couple of weeks ago remember what I was looking for, I'd appreciate other options.

3. john greenwood

That's pretty tacky. Is the sticker attached to the cellophane or the actual disc sleeve?
    If you want to venture beyond Thomas Tallis, there is "The Essential Tallis Scholars." You could also consider their two disc sets of Palestrina and Josquin Desprez, arguably the two greatest composers of the Renaissance. I have the Desprez, and an out of print Palestrina box set by them.

Or if your budget reaches to $22.50 (plus shipping from mdt.co.uk), you can get one of the 4 disc compilation sets they recently released.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2014
  4. Boris75

Boris75 Forum Resident

You were very lucky that the damage affected your speakers rather than your ears.

ToddBD likes this.
  5. tinpanalley

Yeah, I could stretch to 22.50. Maybe I should explore those sets. The Essential Tallis Scholars looked interesting to me as a cross section of various composers. But I liked the idea of one person's work being examined. Any of those sets in particular you're thinking of?
    Unfortunately, there is no way to know if the disc has a sticker on the case, if it's something printed over the artwork, if it's a sticker on the cellophane and I don't want to deal with a return if it's the wrong thing. Additionally, asking Amazon directly to confirm the actual look or a feature of a product in the past has gotten me wrong answers even when a member of the customer service swore I'd be getting one version and it ended up being another.

6. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

That's a bargain!!

7. john greenwood

On the $22.50 - I don't know how VAT figures into it.

As for the Palestrina and the Josquin, the recordings I have of theirs are wonderful. Palestrina is more soothing; Josquin is more varied. Josquin was the composer that first got me hooked on Renaissance music.

8. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

If the price of $22.50 includes 20% U.K. VAT, it's $18.75 with VAT deducted.

9. john greenwood

But since I am located in the USA, the price quoted may already be VAT exclusive. The person looking to make the purchase is in Paris.

10. tinpanalley

It's perfectly fine if the price hovers in the 20s. Which were the 4disc sets you were referring to, I couldn't find any on mdt.

11. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Just checked the MDT website and noticed that they quote both the price including VAT for customers in the European Union and below that the ex-VAT price for customers outside the EU.

12. john greenwood

http://www.mdt.co.uk/catalogsearch/result/index/?composer=1771&order=most_viewed&q=tallis scholars&t=general
    http://www.mdt.co.uk/sacred-music-in-the-renaissance-4-gimell-4cds.html
    I would go for volume 3 as it contains music by both Palestrina and Josquin.
    On my screen the price and the price ex vat are the same as their server may recognize I am logging in from the U.S.

13. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

On my screen the price of the first set on the first page you linked is 19.78 euros ($27) including VAT and 16.49 euros ($22.50) ex-VAT. The Sacred Music in the Renaissance box has the same prices.

14. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

I wouldn't think it would affect their playing if it did. The violin goes up to about 4kHz and is not played loud continuously. The sound is projected in many directions, not focused into the ear as headphones or buds do. Most hearing loss is high frequency and at least an octave above that(8-20kHz). Almost all adults have little hearing above 16 kHz. In addition since the violin is close to the violinist they should be able to hear it well even with diminished sensitivity. I think the woodwinds have the worst problem in the orchestra since they sit right in front of the brass.

John S, bluemooze and kevinsinnott like this.
  15. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

The same reason he had against the Schumann 2nd or Shostakovich symphonies (except the 10th) - he didn't like it. All conductors have preferences . It is better for them not to force it and play something they don't like although they often feel required to, particularly for the top 6 0r 7 composers.

16. kevinsinnott

kevinsinnott Forum Coffeeologist

I've hardly played in a symphony, but playing clarinet in high school band showed me this. Man those horns! haha. I met several lifelong friends from that section though.

bluemooze likes this.
  17. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

We're out of space. Let's continue here. :wave:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.