The "Official" All Purpose Heavy Metal and Hard Rock Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodShifter, Jul 3, 2014.

1. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member Thread Starter

So I’ve been thinking of a creating a something that is pretty much an all purpose heavy metal and hard rock thread where people can talk about whatever they want. However, I thought I’d add a little structure to it by contributing a review of a band, album, or song I like about once a week or so. (Fair warning: I like a lot of stoner rock and alternative metal stuff that originates from the 90’s; so be prepared to read (or scroll through) some stuff that might not always be your cup of tea). But, yeah, maybe you’ll catch onto something that you haven’t heard before or something that interests you; maybe not. I guess that will part of the fun of it. (My reviews, however, are just to add some content to the thread; do not feel they must be the guide for where the thread goes in terms of topics).

I also intend to find new releases of stuff and review them when I have time or have the ability to do them justice. I might pick a new title from, say, a progressive metal band or a death metal act or a black metal album that has caught my attention - whatever. It will just depend (WARNING: not every review will be POSITIVE). But while there are lulls in my submissions, I encourage everyone to talk about whatever they want as long as it loosely relates to heavy metal or hard rock. I have no problems with talking about industrial, post-punk, noise, or whatever else. Just don’t come in and want to discuss a band that isn’t remotely related to heavy metal or hard rock. If you do, I will not be pleased, ha ha. ;) But, yeah, feel free to review stuff you want people to know about. It doesn’t have to a formal review, either; info on a band you discovered, an album you’ve always loved, etc.

Also, another thing: please, please do not use this thread as a dumping ground for posting YouTube videos of a band (or bands) you like. I mean, you can always post a video of a band you discovered or dig, but if you do, please add some narrative on the video or some info on the band; what you know about them, the album from which the song/video originates from - something. Please.

So, this should hopefully be fun. It’s something I’ve been thinking about doing for sometime, but have not because a) I’ve been pretty busy and b) I didn’t know how well it would be received by others. I guess even if it isn’t embraced by many, I can use the thread for my own interests and post about stuff I like and we can go from there. If nothing else, I’ll get some entertainment out of it. So metal and hard rock fans, let’s get to it, shall we? :)

So, with that said, I introduce the thread with my first submission below which is a brief review of Lid’s 1997 album In The Mushroom which appears on Peaceville Records. A relatively obscure record, admittedly, but one I've always liked quite a bit.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2014
  2. GodShifter

[​IMG]
    LID
    - In The Mushroom (1997)

Lid
    Mary Agnes
    The Dream Is Over
    In The Mushroom
    Window Pain
    Rx
    You Are Here
    Randy Scouse Git
    Alive
    For All My Life
    Don’t Let Me Down

Formed in 1997 by Trouble vocalist, Eric Wagner (then out of his band) and Anathema guitarist, Danny Cavanagh, Lid was a one off project with Wagner and Cavanagh exploring lighter psychedelic rock. (Brothers Tim and Tommy Reeves rounded out the band on bass and drums, respectively).

While there are definitely still elements of the heavier side of spectrum (the title song in particular), Lid definitely explores a looser, more experimental vibe for the two doom veterans. The song “Mary Agnes”, for example, is jammy and sounds like it’s almost about to fall apart at several junctures. With Wagner singing. “Mary Agnes made me space cakes one day” and “I can feel the grass grow” it definitely feels like it’s running off a loose structure while being recorded as it just seems to come to a lackadaisical end with the drummer audibly putting down his sticks and Cavanagh noodling in the fade out.

Other tunes like the title song, “In The Mushroom” and “Window Pain” are psychedelic in nature, but retain a driving heaviness to them. “Rx” and “The Dream is Over” are melodic and reflective, while “Alive” and “You Are Here” run off a more positive, life affirming vibe which is in contrast to the afore mentioned title track “Lid”. On this track,Wagner sings lines like, “we’re at the last stage of evolution, where man speaks with his gun” which seems the closest in terms of vibe to his old band, Trouble. Wagner hits his trademark screech several times here and alternates between singing and speaking through out the song, while Cavanagh adds some blissful wah laden heavy guitar to the song.

For fans of lighter fare, Lid covers the quirky, light Monkees tune “Randy Scouse Git” and a Beatles tune in “ Don’t Let Me Down”. Wagner is obviously a fan of both bands as evidence on Trouble’s 1995 release, Plastic Green Head, where both “The Porpoise Song” and “Tomorrow Never Knows” are tackled on that record.

I’d definitely recommend 1997’s In The Mushroom for fans of heavy psychedelic music and for those that like a good dose of melody and whimsy with their heavy music. While In The Mushroom is definitely a heavy outing, it explores enough other aspects of the musical spectrum that there is a little bit for everybody. Though fair warning: while the music might appeal to many, Eric Wagner’s vocals do not. He’s one of those guys that you either love or hate; he can be shrill and off key at one moment and tuneful and spot on the next. In The Mushroom does seem to meander a bit and, at times, seems a bit ragged in terms of the performances. That being said, it’s still a favorite of mine and I listen to it quite a bit. Check it out and see what you think.

[​IMG]

3. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

You're right. Love the music, not sure about the vocals.

4. old school

old school Senior Member

Very cool Jason love the guitar parts. As soon as I heard the guitar it reminded me of the band Earthless.

kanakaris and GodShifter like this.
  5. sons of nothing

sons of nothing Forum Resident

Ha! I loved how you reviewed Lid. 3 or 4 years ago, I had the pleasure of seeing Blackfinger, Eric Wagner's current original band, belt out the tracks "Lid," and "Mary Agnes." They alsodid "My Tortured Soul" that night. I'm pretty sure that happened only 2x, as i don't think Lid ever toured, let alone do a show.

Doggiedogma likes this.
  6. GodShifter

Interesting!

Eric is a Facebook friend of mine (I don't know him at all), but I've seen he is doing the Blackfinger thing now as well The Skull with Jeff "Olly" Olsen where they do Trouble songs. Funny thing is, The Skull has as many original Trouble members in it as Trouble does! Last I saw, Trouble had released a new record and have a new vocalist, with Exhorder's Kyle Thomas at the helm. I haven't heard the new record, but its title is The Distortion Field.

As far as Lid, I think you're right: they never did tour. There was talk of them doing a new album sometime back, but it never materialized. I think Danny Cavanagh is too busy with Anathema these days.

7. sons of nothing

sons of nothing Forum Resident

^^Forgot to add that Blackfinger did, and still do, Trouble songs. during one of those two shows, Bruce Franklin joined in for a song or two. Im pretty sure Bruce and Ron Holzner were there for the other show as well.

JCM800 and Doggiedogma like this.
  8. GodShifter

Yep, Eric is definitely an "acquired taste" vocal wise. From what I've gathered, he can be great one night and just horrendous another. In truth, he's not a gifted vocalist, but certainly has his own sound. As I said, most people either love his approach or hate it. I'm kind of middle of road. With Lid, I like what he does, but as much as I love Trouble, sometimes his vocals grate on me a bit.

9. GodShifter

Cool. Solace's old bass player, Rob Hultz (also of Godspeed) is Trouble's newest bass player. They've gone through quite a few over the years. Holzner, at one time, was in like three bands: Trouble, Place of Skulls, and another which escapes me. I'm not even sure what he's doing these days. Still in Place of Skulls, perhaps?

10. GodShifter

Glad you dig it, William. We'll hit upon a lot of stuff like this when I do more reviews. I plan to dig pretty deep with some of the stuff I want to spotlight. I've got a bunch of stoner rock stuff I want to bring to surface (a lot from Sweden, Belgium, and such) so maybe you'll like some of that, too. :)

SwollenGoat and old school like this.
  11. old school

old school Senior Member

Man I'm going to love it. Bring it on!

Clanceman, Gary and GodShifter like this.
  12. old school

old school Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Earthless From The Ages

Violence of the Red Sea 14:46
    Uluru Rock 14:08
    Equus October 5:42
    From the Ages 30:55
    ( 2013) Tee Pee Records

Earthless formed in San Diego in 2001 Guitarist Isiaha Mitchell Bassist Mike Eginton and Drummer Mario Rubalcaba consider there sound a hybrid of Krautrock and Japanese Psychedelica. Citing Japanese bands Blues Creation and the Flower Travellin band as influences. And don't consider themselves Stoner Rock. As Earthless are primarily an instrumental band, their music has no vocals by default, although Mitchell has sung vocals for the group on the few songs that need them. Earthless toured in support of From the Ages along the western coast of the United States in October 2013, and with the Shrine in Australia from December 2013 to January 2014, and the east coast of the US in August 2014.

13. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Pretty cool William. I like Blues Creation & The Flower Travellin' Band. Is this their best album?

14. old school

old school Senior Member

They have three studio albums and one live album, Live at Roadburn. I think this is there best.

15. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I might have to check these guys out. I like instrumental music quite a bit as often the vocals are a turn off even if the music is good.

old school likes this.
  16. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

Great idea for a thread! I had actually thought of starting a similar "discuss all things metal" thread as well, but never got around to it.

While I'm not prepared to contribute a full fledged review just yet, I was digging The Obsessed and "The Church Within" tonight. "Wino" is God. \m/

17. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

One of my favorite "newer" (very loosely used in this sense) is CKY. People not in the know may write them off as for the MTV crowd or for their association with Bam Margera, but this is actually a very solid group who haven't put out a bad album. They've got their own unique, creative style and they always have something cool going on with the vocals. 'Carver City' is IMO their most accomplished album yet.

18. GodShifter

Earthless are a great band. They're absolutely mind blowing in terms of their ability to improv. If you like them I'd also recommend the band Tia Carrera who do a similar kind of thing.

Mario Rubalcaba, the drummer for Earthless, has been in a ton of great bands. Most notably Hot Snakes and Rocket From the Crypt. I think he was also in Sea of Tombs which I liked pretty well.

19. GodShifter

I love the Church Within! "Skybone" is massive from that record. Have you checked out any Spirit Caravan? Jug Fulla Sun is a landmark heavy rock/stoner record, IMO.

Also, reviews aren't mandatory in the least. They're just something I thought would provide something tangible for the thread. I certainly don't expect everyone to do them.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2014
    SwollenGoat likes this.
  20. GodShifter

I have Infiltrate, Destroy, Rebuild from this band. I can't remember much about it, but I remember liking it.

21. old school

old school Senior Member

Tia Carrera thanks for the tip. Must check them out.

John Fell and GodShifter like this.
  22. nbakid2000

The Company Band is a rock supergroup featuring Clutch frontman Neil Fallon, Fireball Ministry frontman James Rota, CKY drummer Jess Margera, guitarist Dave Bone, and Fu Manchu bassist Brad Davis.

You'd think they'd have their own "sound" but really, they sound like Clutch very very closely (not with as much "groove" though). I've got everything they've put out (album/EP/EP/single) and haven't been disappointed yet.

23. nbakid2000

Don't know what you use to stream music, but the entire thing's on YouTube and Spotify.

GodShifter likes this.
  24. GodShifter

I definitely like Clutch and The Bakerton Group which Neil Fallon is a part of both. I bought The Company Band (2009) sometime back, but haven't had a chance to listen to it yet. Too much music; too little time.

Joel Zerns likes this.
  25. nbakid2000

Well, that's on my list now.