Live action Dumbo film from Disney (2019)*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Jason Pumphrey, Jul 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jason Pumphrey

Jason Pumphrey Forum Resident Thread Starter

Disney has now ran out of ideas, a live action Dumbo film!

I'll stick with the tried and true classic original animated film.

Found out the news here:
    http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=14428

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  2. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

If they want to continue the trend of poop jokes, this is a huge opportunity.

3. Jason Pumphrey

Its being written by guy who wrote The Transformers, POOP INDEED!

4. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

It also mentions a live action version of Cinderella and The Jungle Book. Uh, huh... Okay, Cinderella, no problem. The Jungle Book? That sounds completely impossible unless the Disney animatronics people have been secretly working on planting electrodes in orangutans.

5. Jason Pumphrey

Next in line, live action Bambi, PETA will have a field day.

MikaelaArsenault and McLover like this.
  6. frankfan1

frankfan1 Some days I feel like Balok

So I guess Disney is pretty much out of ideas...all sequels, remakes, an occasional new idea that looks like a remake or sequel...

7. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

The circus-poster stylization of Dumbo is among its key qualities. Until seeing/hearing something compelling otherwise, a live action film version won't be on my to-see list, but then perhaps I'm not in their sights for that.

By this point the folks in charge at Disney appear at least as inclined towards sequels, prequels, reboots, re-imaginings, franchise acquisitions, merchandising etc as Walt Disney was disinclined; while both deal in creativity and exploitation, they are primarily about the latter whereas Walt was primarily about the former. So the current Disney may be seen to be oriented to cashing in on the past (inherited concepts in IP, resort properties etc, acquiring others' i.e. Lucas, Marvel and bringing in outside creativity i.e. the Pixar folks) and investing according to what is intended to assuage investor confidence while bringing comparatively little that's original or of lasting value to the table. Popular formula of the times, need one say.

They already did.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0110213/

Nevertheless, according to IMDB they're doing it again and Andy Serkis (an actor in the 2011 Rise of the Planet of the Apes) is evidently co-producing and directing. Perhaps this time they mean to better capture the spirit of the novel. Or not...

8. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Horrible idea.

9. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

I'm sure our opinions about what Disney is doing with Dumbo is irrelephant!

10. crimpies

crimpies Forum Resident

Not a horrible, horrible, horrible idea?

11. jkauff

jkauff Senior Member

Walt Disney had a great respect for nature. Now that we know what high-order, intelligent creatures elephants are, I can't believe he would have condoned using them as performers. Isn't that practice exactly what the Dumbo story indicts?

12. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Seen it!

[​IMG]

Or if you prefer...

[​IMG]

MikaelaArsenault and Vidiot like this.
  13. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

I'll go see this.

Guess I'm dumb.

14. Michelle66

Michelle66 Senior Member

It would only be a horrible, horrible, horrible idea if they ended the movie on a freeze-frame and played Journey's "Don't Stop Believin'" over it.

15. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I'll wait until I see it to determine the number of horribles. So far, just horrible.

They could also remake every other Disney animated classic in live action, and it'd be just as stupid an idea. I'd have the same problem if they wanted to make an animated version of Mary Poppins or Old Yeller.

16. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

geez, give it a chance!.

17. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

You don't F with a classic. How well did the sequels to Casablanca and Gone with the Wind do? Disney has just run out of new ideas.

18. Michael

I could agree with you if they were doing an updated animated remake...live action? nah...if it good fine...if it stinks the smell will dissipate.I'm very curious of the outcome.

19. AKA

AKA Senior Member

Here's an exclusive sneak peek at the movie. Looks good!

MikaelaArsenault and Bryan like this.
  20. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

I really hate modern Disney.

MikaelaArsenault and Tom Perry like this.
  21. sons of nothing

sons of nothing Forum Resident

I think it might be time to defrost walt...

22. Michael

23. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I run hot and cold with them. Some stuff is great, and I think (with the exception of Cars and Planes) Pixar was a terrific match for Disney, and Marvel has been great so far. The trick is going to be in trying to sustain those successes and get new stuff rolling, and that's gonna be a problem. I'll say this: what they're making now is a lot better than the last few movies former CEO Mike Eisner made, like Treasure Planet. Good god, that was a stinker... :eek:

24. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Ah, memories...

25. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

For everyone who hates modern Disney, I'll remind you just how terrible 70's Disney was in both animated and live-action movies.

MikaelaArsenault and AKA like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.