DCC Archive Has anyone listened to Dylan's new album?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Todd Fredericks, Sep 20, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member Thread Starter

I haven't picked it up yet. How is it?

Todd

2. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

I like it a lot. It's not your 70's or 80's Dylan, but it's very good. A lot of people are picking up the vinyl, and saying very good things about it.

3. Unknown

Unknown Guest

It's on my list of things to buy this weekend. too bad "Things Have Changed" isn't on it.

4. JPartyka

JPartyka I Got a Home on High

It's a very fine album, with some musical surprises (some jazz-ballad-type tunes that bring "If Dogs Run Free" from "New Morning" to mind ... can't get the hook from "Po' Boy" out of my head) and, of course, brilliant lyrical turns of phrase (there are some very funny moments!). Dylan's road band sounds fantastic in the studio ...

I got the 2-LP set. Quite nice ... I definitely recommend picking it up if you're into Dylan at all.

5. Todd Fredericks

I'll definately pick it up. I'm a big Dylan fan. I'll see if I can get it on vinyl while I'm in Montreal.

Todd

6. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

I actually like this one more than his previous one. It's nice to pick up an album where the song are so diverse. If you collect Dylan there is a special version with Bonus Disc with two rare early tracks.

7. Unknown

Unknown Guest

Tommy, where'd you see the special disc?

8. Paul L.

Paul L. New Member

The special disc is available only in the deluxe CD package (easy to tell by its double thickness and in a digipack instead of jewel box). Extra material is not available in the vinyl, which is 2 LPs of 3 songs per side.
    "Love and Theft" is an incredible work. Sixty-year-old rock stars are not supposed to be supremely confident and inventive, but the phrasing, lyrics, and groove of this album show otherwise. After 500 songs or whatever, Dylan is still coming up with new stuff. I'll be surprised if this doesn't win album of the year.

Carserguev likes this.
  9. MikeD

MikeD New Member

The deluxe version may be the only one available at this time. I haven't seen the jewelbox version anywhere.

Chip

10. JPartyka

No, all 3 versions (jewelbox CD, deluxe 2-CD set, 2-LP set) are readily available, at least in my neck of the woods (Boston). I got the vinyl first, but yesterday just picked up the 2-CD version as well. Sonically it's a very, very pleasing sounding disc (for digital). Haven't listened to the bonus disc yet ... I was distracted last night by Sundazed's latest mono Dylan LP reissue, Times They Are a-Changin' ... an absolutely revelatory reissue.

11. J Epstein

J Epstein Member

I was under the impression (but I forget where I read this) that here is a release of the 2-LP set with a bonus 45 of the two rarities.

I've been enjoying this album quite a bit - it's not as deep as TOOM but it's more fun. The rockin' songs ROCK, the ballads are quite sweet and poignant.

-j

12. Unknown

Unknown Guest

Well, I never got out last week to pick it up, but when I do I'll look for the double-secret probation issue.

13. J Epstein

J Epstein Member

I stand corrected - there is a giveaway 45 but it doesn't have the two bonus tracks of the special CD edition, there are two LP tracks on it.

14. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

I scoffed the LP version. 1st time I brought it home, the pressing had a boo-boo on "Tweedle Dee" on side A where the pressing got scorched from sloppy pressing and handling. (looked like someone tried to light the edge of the pressing with a cigarette lighter. Bad, bad, Sony!) I exchanged it for another and it's great.

I first listened to the album with all doubtful feeling a week ago. The feeling vanished instantly (first experince was just a Liquid Audio rip of it on the newsgroups. Good for a hold-me-over). It's a very good album lyrically. I love it. People who like Dylan should buy it with all speed. It won't dissapoint. My vote for album of the year, so far. LP pressing is recommended.

I might pickup the newest Garbage Lp set sometime soon. Supposedly it's brilliant.

[ September 29, 2001: Message edited by: Sckott ]

candidviews likes this.
  15. Unknown

Unknown Guest

Rats! I only saw the one-desc jewel box. So I snarffed it up.

Is the bonus disc material worth searching out?

16. JPartyka

I didn't find it all that exciting ... interesting, but I probably won't be re-listening to them much. The alternate take of "Times Changin'" in particular is kind of dull, I can see why they passed it up ...

17. J Epstein

J Epstein Member

I'd say the two bonus tracks are interesting but not essential. They are both Dylan solo recordings (guitar/vocals) from very early on, 1963 and 64 if I remember it right.

It's not essential obscure Dylan like "Can You Please Crawl Out Your Window."

-j

18. Todd Fredericks

I wasn't able to find the vinyl version in Montreal. NYC stores don't seem to have it either. Next week I'll order it via internet. Thanks for the comments about it. I can't wait to hear it...

Todd

19. J Epstein

J Epstein Member

I got mine in NYC on Christopher Street in the West Village (I forget the name of the store though.) I also saw it at another store nearby - Subterranean Music near the West 4th Street subway station. Subterranean had a wide variety of Dylan bootleg CDs, too. Look around, it's out there.

-j

20. Todd Fredericks

Thanks J! I'll check out those stores... I know which ones you're talking about.

Todd

21. Unknown

Unknown Guest

Well, I've gad the chance to listen to the disc a few times now, and I like it a lot. Not nearly as depressing as "Time Out Of Mind". Seems to be recorded/mixed differently, too. The soundstage is a lot more "crowded" than on TOOM.

22. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

it's alright

23. Jerryb

Jerryb Senior Member

12 years later.

24. candidviews

candidviews Well-Known Member In Memoriam

I agree that this is a truly exceptional album. Like hearing a Dylan we don't know on many songs. Some achingly good.

25. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

It's a bit good innit

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.