Great Giant Killer Wolfsen DAC Dedicated CD player-Onkyo C-7030

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by The Beave, Jul 5, 2014.

1. Jerryb

Jerryb Senior Member

They do Sunday delivery now!

duvallite and RonW like this.
  2. RonW

RonW Forum Resident

Drones! Cool...:winkgrin:

Brother_Rael, c-eling and Jerryb like this.
  3. beavis

beavis Forum Resident

After having ordered it Sunday night from Amazon mine finally came by FedEx this afternoon when I was gone. I left a self-made release form with my signature on it and the deliveryman left the Onkyo. It is now in the process of breaking in with my Grado 'phones running (sounds excellent through these) and on repeat for at least 24 hours or more. Then it will go head to head with my Emotiva player in a death match using several different ICs until my imperial ears are pleased. Ave Caesar! Sorry, got carried away.......

Duvallite, maybe the FedEx drones will land with your Onkyo Sunday.....drones are non-union and certainly not affiliated with any religion...maybe. Part of our Dickensian-Jetsonian future.....

Let us know when the baby arrives!

4. RonW

RonW Forum Resident

What interconnects are you guys using? I need a new set for this player. I could raid my other systems for another set but I don't want to tear anything down. Right now I'm using the stock cables that came with the Philips player. They are not cheap at all but I'd like to do much better. I forgot all about the interconnects still the player sounds great. Maybe I can do better but only if it's noticeable. I don't know about budget lets see what others are using.

Thanks-

Ron

5. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Broke down and ordered one, thanks guys, I was looking at this model a few years ago but never really thought about actually needing it, will be interesting up against my Touch :) Thanks Frank for the photo, they look nice together!

RonW and Jerryb like this.
  6. RonW

RonW Forum Resident

I was looking at the 7030 as well back then. You will like it very much. I'm loving the sound of mine.

Enjoy!

7. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it! Thread Starter

Laughing out REALLY LOUD! You Hoffman guys Really sold them OUT! :yikes:
    BEAVIS.....MY BROTHER.....LONG LOST!
    the beave

8. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

This seems a bit odd, a $750 DAC mated to a cheap CD player? What gives? Certainly there are dramatically better transports for a few hundred dollars more, or better CD players for the total $750 + $139?

9. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

10. T'mershi Duween

T'mershi Duween Forum Resident

Transports? I have/had quite a few actually. I also have a Rega Apollo and an Oppo. What makes you think the Onkyo is inferior as a transport? I think as a cd player it is decently adequate and as a transport it is pretty much flawless.

I can tell you right now that the Schiit Gungnir DAC is a giant killer. It's the best DAC that I've heard under 5k. My Onkyo/Gungnir combo kicked the schiit outta of a Ayre CX-7 that I had in for evaluation. No contest. The Ayre sounded really nice (as does the Apollo) but the Schiit/Onkyo combo is vastly superior and surpassed the Ayre noticeably.

I;m afraid your premise is somewhat flawed...

Brother_Rael likes this.
  11. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

So, all the kilo buck transports need to take a lesson from this one?

Last edited: Jul 13, 2014
  12. moops

moops Senior Member

What's the scoop on the AKM D/A converters that Schiit favor for the Bifrost and the Gungnir ?
    Do they offer a level of performance that the Wolfson's don't, or maybe the AKM gear suits the overall goal that Schiit are aiming for ?
    I'm really tempted to do the deal on a Uber Bifrost one day.

13. duvallite

duvallite Well-Known Member

No drones landed today, but the local Post Office just delivered my C-7030 as I was leaving for the day :). Box is in great shape with no visible damage. Unfortunately, I'll now have to wait until after work tomorrow to check everything out.

14. The Beave

Congrats duallite!
    At least it made it there safe and sound!
    Likeakidinnacandystore!
    the beave

15. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I am using a pair of these...http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0010HFOCQ/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

RonW likes this.
  16. RonW

RonW Forum Resident

17. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

I'm just using some very short half meter old Monster interlink 800. They have a nice tight fitting split center pin and really tight fitting outer ground.

18. The Beave

Robert C likes this.
  19. RonW

RonW Forum Resident

Wow, glad I asked. Those are nice for the money.

20. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

Just a quick update. Over the last few nights I've listened to several CDs and hybrid SACDs on the 7030 via my dedicated headphone rig (see profile). I still haven't done any head-to-head comparisons with my Sony and Oppo players yet. I've been very satisfied with the sound quality of the 7030 in my system.

What I wanted to comment on is the on-board headphone jack on the Onkyo, and how surprised I was by how goof it sounded. I went back and forth between it and my dark voice tube amp, and I didn't notice a whole lot of difference.

For someone on a really tight budget, you may be able to get by with just the 7030 and a nice pair of headphones.

JeffMo and mikeyt like this.
  21. RonW

RonW Forum Resident

I thought the headphone output was very nice and was very surprised by it. I'm using a set of Grado's with the player and they sound great. I haven't done an A/B comparison but I like what I'm hearing.

22. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

Of course, I didn't mean it sounded "goof" - frickin' iPad...

23. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

It surprised me as well. I honestly couldn't tell much difference between it and the $350 Darkvoice with my Senn 650s. I only jumped back and forth for about 20 minutes, but nothing stood out dramatically.

kevinsinnott likes this.
  24. The Beave

No....it sounds GoofY!
    the beave
    the Goofiest sounding DAC under $200!!!!

T'mershi Duween likes this.
  25. The Beave

This is a good thing.
    the beave