Great Giant Killer Wolfsen DAC Dedicated CD player-Onkyo C-7030

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by The Beave, Jul 5, 2014.

1. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it! Thread Starter

There is the S5vl SACD player that was discontinued last year or so. I had one, and the slow DVD based transport literally drove me nuts it was so unresponsive. But that unit has one of those eanie tiny weenee digital power supplies that defeat the purpose of a better DAC.
    the beave

PhantomStranger and theron d like this.
  2. theron d

theron d Forum Resident

I joined the party and ordered one for $139. What the h@ll. ...Should be interesting comparing against my Oppo BD-83 original.

c-eling likes this.
  3. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Should have mine tomorrow, I have no doubt it will trump my Oppo 80, will relegate that for SACD/BR duties only, will be nice to have a dedicated cd player again, been decades :)

RonW likes this.
  4. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

Same here. I haven't purchased a dedicated CD player since my original SONY CDP-302 in 1985 - which is still in use to this day, and what the Onkyo will likely be replacing. :)

Brother_Rael likes this.
  5. cathare34

cathare34 Forum Resident

I have a friend who has one in his system but rarely uses it.(Gives me an idea to try some sacd's)
    My question :
    How is the best way to hook up the s5vl sacd player for plaing sacd's ? Using analog outputs to my Rotel amp or hooking him up to my Rega Dac

6. skriefal

skriefal Senior Member

Use the analog outputs. The optical/coaxial digital outputs are often force-disabled when playing SACDs due to the labels' copy protection paranoia.

mikeyt likes this.
  7. The Beave

What are you drinking theron?
    I'll pour you a glass!
    the beave

8. The Beave

to Both of you, have fun! Again, I went, over the past 4 years or so, 7 or so different players and I end up with the one that started it all-this Onkyo 7030. I've had it back in the main system now for about two weeks and the lesson I learned was 'be careful what you wish for'. But you know what?? Not only am I giddy at this budget priced deck giving me stellar audio, the lessons it taught me about 'more $ is of course better-it has to be' are invaluable. The NAD 565BEE deck (List is $799 guys!) I got in this on going lesson is the sonic equal to the 7030. Oh yeah, if I wanted to get REALLY ANAL on my listening, the NAD 'might' have a tiny bit here and there but when it comes down to 'living' with your gear, the NAD, for as nice a deck it is, is overkill. And again, if it was way better sonically than the 7030 I wouldn't have even started this thread. But it ISN'T!
    So I hope you have some fun getting back to what it all is about.....enjoying music. And especially at a good price to boot!
    My Best......
    the beave

DaverJ likes this.
  9. The Beave

I would try both.
    My friend Keef down in Oregon has the S5vl and loves the sound. But he can put up with the 'slowness' of the drive. So I would try both. But try it this way. Instead of
    sitting down and trying to over focus on the soundstage etc, put on a good sounding disc and listen to it while your alone in the house not too loud. Let the sound envelope YOU.
    then after the disc, give it about 30 minutes to reset your ears and play the disc again through the other dac. After a few minutes your ears will TELL you what sounds good and
    what doesn't. Go with that and trust your ears. Don't try to be too analytical with it or it will bite you in the butt.
    And have FUN with it! That's when you get the good stuff.
    the beave

10. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

I have my second round of comparisons finished folks. Bear with me, this is detailed. I'm bushed, this is a lot of work.

Onkyo 7030 VS Yamaha CD-C600 natural sound 5 disc changer still in production, mine is an 03/2010 unit list $380 I paid $250. Even now this unit is not discounted, selling for $299. FWIW my 7030 is a 02/2014 build. Both were built in Malaysia.

The Yamaha has Burr Brown 192/24 DACs, a large well shielded power supply, floating circuit boards, minimal wiring, use of heavy buss bars everywhere on the circuit boards rather than board traces. Final analog out is direct to RCA's from final circuit board, it has a fairly thick aluminum face panel, weight is about 2 pounds more than the Onkyo. No headphone jack, but it has USB input, removable power cable and a pure direct mode that completely shuts off all display & digital outputs.

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/hifi-components/cd-players/cd-c600_black__u/?mode=model
    • Frequency Response: 2 Hz-20 kHz +/- 0.5 dB
    • Harmonic Distortion + Noise: 0.003%
    • Signal to Noise Ratio: 105 dB
    • Dynamic Range: 96 dB
    • Weight: 13.7 lbs out of carton
    Onkyo 7030:
    • Frequency Response: 4 Hz-20 kHz +1.0/- 3.0 dB
    • Harmonic Distortion + Noise: 0.0029%
    • Signal to Noise Ratio: 107 dB
    • Dynamic Range: 100 dB
    • Weight: 11.7 lbs out of carton
    On paper/build wise both players are fairly equally matched IMO. The plus going to the Onkyo for it's now quite low street price.

The Onkyo has well over 70 hours on it now, I used the same very short half meter Monster interlink 800 on both players, VERY well made directional cables, and the short length makes their effect even more minor.

Only caveats for test was the Yamaha was run in pure direct mode, and the stock 18 gauge 250 volt power cable had been replaced with a 14 gauge 300 volt cable.( I did that when I got it, I had that power cable laying around so I used it). The Onkyo display was dimmed to it's lowest setting & headphone was turned all the way down.

I listened to varied music, pop, rock, jazz, classical, blues, folk, fusion, speed metal, pretty much everything. Standard CDs, some 24 bit, as well as some blue spec CD2, Hendrix Electric Ladyland to name one. Even my own CD's of my band.

It took some time to sort out the differences, it was not day or night by any stretch of the imagination.

In the end, the Yamaha has a bit more heft, pace and feel to the bass, it's high end has more air, but the Onkyo though lacking that air presented a smoother top end, hence probably why folks comment on its "analog sound".

In the end I like both players, the Onkyo is a no brainer for it's now drastically low price, not sure why it has plummeted, but good for us!

Here's a few pics of the Yamaha, can't see much inside due to the 5 disc carousel:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And if anyone doubts the quality of those interconnects, look at the RCAS:
    [​IMG]

Next, we pit the Onkyo against a few classic $1000+ players from the late 1980's early 90's.

MultiMan, dirtymac, bluemooze and 6 others like this.
  11. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Good reviews, Guild. Call this one a tie. Look forward to the next round. Funny, I found a Denon CD player for 99 cents in a thrift store this week. For a buck I couldn't resist buying it. A Denon DCD-425. It blows. Overly harsh, made my ears hurt. PCM1712U Brown Burr D/A converter. Avoid that one. It's going in Fridays trash. Even the headphone out of my iPod video kills it by a mile. Just goes to show, the march of time... Plus the ipod has a wolfson. That's why I'm still watching this thread. If you have a 5th gen iPod video on hand...

Last edited: Jul 17, 2014
    GuildX700 likes this.
  12. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

The Yamaha line is not to be discounted, even the lower price stuff. I have their recent R-S700 Receiver , and for it's $500 price it's an astounding unit. Has a massive transformer and really clean overall build, sounds wonderful.

[​IMG]

swampwader and bluemooze like this.
  13. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

Thanks.

Yeah, that old Denon is a 16 bit budget machine. yuck.

14. The Beave

Nicccccc innards!
    Good to know Yamaha is still a quality product!
    the beave

15. The Beave

Excellent review! And gorgeous pics! Good work.
    the beave

16. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Wolfson Meet Woolfson :D Thanks Ron and everyone for bumping me on this, great player, very happy, Handles pre-emph nicely-New Order's Low Life (Fact100) sounds fantastic :)
    [​IMG]

HiFi Guy 008 and RonW like this.
  17. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

I have it hooked up two ways: the analogue out (RCA) to the amp; the digital coax to my Rega DAC (and thence to the amp).

I've listened to SACD playback both ways, and hear no significant difference. For CD, Rega DAC makes everything sound great!

18. RonW

RonW Forum Resident

I'm happy for you man! I'm loving mine more every day. I had a good feeling about this player and I'm definitely enjoying some new sounds here.

Enjoy!

Brother_Rael and c-eling like this.
  19. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

Hi I also have the dx-7555. I think there may have been a thread on it before but does your unit produce the humming noise? Mine does but I'm not sure if it has done it all along or I just noticed it recently as it is not loud and does not seem to effect the sound output. Also I wonder how the subject of this thread compares to the old dx-7555. I wonder if they sound about the same or if one is superior to the other. I think I paid $400 for mine in 2009.

20. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Can you please describe the humming and the conditions under which you hear it? Thanks :)

21. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

Yes. When my head is close to the unit I can hear a electrical type hum or buzz faintly coming from the left side of the player. I assume it has something to do with the power supply but I don't know much about electronics. I think there was a thread on the issue I will search for it.

22. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Very well made but a constipated sound.

23. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Doesn't seem like anything to worry about then; can you hear it when you play music?

24. The Beave

dont need to search......here's what you do. Carefully remove the side and back side screws holding the cover on the 7030. Carefully lift the back end UP then pull it toward you (your at the BACK of the 7030). With the cover off and of course before you do all this you unplug the AC cord and RCA cords, get a good medium Phillips head screwdriver and find the four screws securing the power supply to the chassis. Turn each screw 1/2 turn to the left-unscrew-and when all four are in that state, re tighten them snug but not too hard to strip the screws. Next. Before putting the cover back on, and you don't need it connected to the stereo at this point, plug the AC cord back in and power up the unit and listen. You should hear nothing. If you still hear the buzzing AND you can hone in on the ps as the offender, carefully put the cover back on, pack it up and send it back to Amazon for a replacement. But.....with my experience, at this point you very well could have fixed the problem. Let us know how it goes.
    the beave

Brother_Rael and bluemooze like this.
  25. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

Not to worry, I soaked them in ex-lax as a break in ritual. Now they have a very liquid, smooth sound.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2014
    Metralla, c-eling and ddarch like this.