Vinyl Reissues To Avoid

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by iamthecosmos, Mar 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

As you can see in the previous history of threads on Simply Vinyl, a blanket condemnation of SV releases is as iffy as a naive embrace of their offerings, which include some notorious duds. And the picture is further complicated by the fact that there have been two different eras of the label, plus some counterfeiting. Also, Simply Vinyl has been cagey or silent about much of the sourcing for their releases. But I have nothing but nice things to say about a couple of terrific-sounding releases from the early 2000s: their versions of Crowded House's Woodface and Dire Straits's Making Movies are both superb. I've read good things about other releases as well. The situation is not as simple as you suggest.

2. firefoxussr

firefoxussr Dynamic Range Enthusiast™

I agree with that I have 3 Marilyn Manson LP sets and a Bush LP set which are all post-2000 and the best sounding issues available. (Also all on Interscope... coincidence, i think not).

3. Paul Saldana

Paul Saldana jazz vinyl addict

I am thrilled that they did not rip you off. What experience I have had with their reissues was all negative and consequently I have determined it is nearly always worth my while to seek out original pressings. Two eras? Bootlegs? I've heard enough to stay away even without this additional information.

4. M.Deutrom

M.Deutrom Forum Resident

I have yet to hear a good pressing of Tilt or The Drift by Scott Walker. These
    have all kinds of surface noise. Bish Bosh is also pretty awful. Any ideas about
    who 4AD is using for those ?

5. SimplyOrange

SimplyOrange Forum Resident

I have two Friday Music LPs. Deep Purple's Fireball and Mountain's Climbing. The latter was also done with Kevin Gray. Fireball sounds shrill and Climbing sounds great, except that some of the instruments sound as if they're missing from the mix (bad EQ?).

6. Marko K

Marko K Forum Resident

EU or US pressing? There is a huge difference between The Drift reissues - the EU reissue pressing is 180g and the US reissue pressing is 140g. The US pressing has scuffs and nonfill, the EU pressing is perfect. I have two copies of the US pressing and three copies of the EU pressing. I dont have the original which is supposedly the worst - a lot of surface noise.

The EU pressing of Bish Bosch is pretty much perfect too, i dont have the US pressing for that to compare.

I have only listened to couple of sides of both of the EU pressings (The Drift and Bish Bosch), and there was minimal surface noise if at all.

7. Alan2

Alan2 Forum Resident

No, not quite the only person here, if you mean the whole of SH forums. Stone Turntable has it about right, above. The best way to approach SV is on a case by case basis. They've done John Martyn: Solid Air not that long ago, from original tapes, for instance. :)

8. M.Deutrom

M.Deutrom Forum Resident

Looks like I need to seek out some EU issues. Thanks.

9. sgb

sgb Senior Member

I have only ONE Simply Vinyl LP, Getz/Gilberto, which was recommended by someone here in another thread. It's terrific! :righton:

10. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

Does the Mountain pressing have the original Windfall labels?

11. SimplyOrange

SimplyOrange Forum Resident

Yes. It has the original Windfall label except it might say something like "Friday Music" on the bottom. Not sure if it's the same pressing as the one in that video.

12. schelti

schelti Forum Resident

Which reissues are you talking about?

13. schelti

schelti Forum Resident

I have a few Elvis Presley records on Friday Music, sound really good to me.
    If you like Elvis, try From Elvis In Memphis.

14. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

let's hope not!

15. Geoffsterpiano

Geoffsterpiano ...Give me great sound, or give me death...

As someone who has also recently started rebuilding my vinyl collection, I've got a few questions about some particular reissues .. First, the 40th anniversary Back To Black reissue of Goodbye Yellow Brick Road. I've heard BTB reissues are treated with some suspicion, although this particular release claims - on the cover - to be a 2014 remaster by Bob Ludwig at Gateway Mastering from the original analogue tapes, and mastered for vinyl by Doug Sax at The Mastering Lab. In which case, how can you go wrong? Still, I'm curious as to whether anyone here has heard this particular version of GYBR and to know their opinion.
    Another I'm curious about is a Music On Vinyl 180gm reissue of S&G's Bridge Over Troubled Water. Any reports about that one?
    I've recently bought the reissues of Fleetwood Mac (the white album) and Rumours - the 33&1/3 RPM single disc versions, as I couldn't afford the 45rpm versions. Haven't had the chance to hear them yet as I'm waiting for my new turntable to arrive, but I'm keen to hear any opinions on those too...

16. falc0nwhit

falc0nwhit Forum Resident

I once found a mint copy of Television Marquee Moon reissue by 4 men w beards - sounded so bad compared to my original copy that I couldn't play it past a couple of song and got rid of it immediately. horrible.

17. celticbob

celticbob Forum Resident

My 33 & 1/3 of Rumours sounds good to me. I have the GYBR but have yet to play it. I have read good things about it. May spin it today. If I do I will let you know.

Geoffsterpiano likes this.
  18. davidshirt

davidshirt =^,,^=

The '70s and '80s Cohen albums that got reissued by 4men with beards? Yeah. They're not that good.

19. James_S888

James_S888 Forum Resident

They suck.
    The original "Various Positions" was a Europe only vinyl edition, mastered at Sterling, pressed in the Netherlands. It is fabulous sounding. The reissue is nowhere close. I had a listen at the record shop around the corner from where I work. It sounds digital.

20. James_S888

James_S888 Forum Resident

Bob Ludwig so far as I know only does digital. Which means he probably sent 96k/24 bit files to doug sax. or maybe 192/24.

21. cjp123

cjp123 Forum Resident

So I just heard back from Polysom about the Gal Costa lps--and this is what they told me:
    These 2 records were mastered from the original reel-to-reel analog tapes, by Ricardo Garcia, at Magic Master, in Rio de Janeiro.
    All the best,

Comercial
    Visite nosso site www.polysom.com.br

polchik likes this.
  22. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

Anything abridged.

23. maxheadroom

maxheadroom Senior Member

yeah, it's become a mixed bag since I posted that reply. Some more recent releases are being mastered from analog tapes.

24. southamorican

southamorican Forum Resident

They might be from analog tapes, but they are "Crosley-friendly masters"... :shake:

http://cultura.estadao.com.br/noticias/musica,producao-brasileira-de-lps-cresce-60-ao-ano,1672037

Another funnel for a comeback of the format in a larger scale are the record-players, a market that awakens slowly and still doesn’t produce equipment with a quality similar to the old brands of the ‘60s or ‘70s. That could be considered pretentiousness if such limitations didn’t imply in decisions in the manufacturing, in order to make the LPs compatible with these devices. “Polysom’s quality control is very rigid, but using high-quality equipment like Technics or Newmark. However, there are some really low-quality turntables in the market and everything that we conquered in terms of good sound in some records we had to change in order for them not to skip on these small record players. In the past, the plants didn’t care about this. The guy would buy a record and if it skipped, he would get a matchbox and place it on top of the tone-arm. Today these record players are so bad that that doesn’t work anymore. To cater for both kinds of devices, we have to alter the equalization, reduce the lows, reduce the volume, move the lows to the center. These are processes that we wouldn’t like to do. We didn’t hear any defects when we made the records, but the people would complain: “hey, it’s skipping on this track”. Still, according to João, only a comparison with an original on a good system would show the limitations of the reissues.

seasonsinthesky likes this.
  25. maxheadroom

maxheadroom Senior Member

Well I bought Gilberto Gil's last album (Gilbertos Samba) from them and the quality was very good. It was probably mastered from hi-res digital (because it was recorded digitally) but I have zero complaints about sound quality, quite the contrary in fact.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.