DCC Archive Bruce Springsteen-poor handling of back catalog

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dr. Winston, Sep 20, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr. Winston

Dr. Winston New Member Thread Starter

Why? There was talk around the time the boxset "Tracks" was released that the back catalog would be remastered. I distinctly remember serious talk that they would be straight reissues with no bonus tracks. Even though I didn't like that approach (good grief-Bruce has tons of amazing unreleased stuff) I would gladly have taken it as opposed to nothing. Now the reunion tour is over and the DVD of the live show is coming out soon--- why not get these remasters out?

2. Unknown

Unknown Guest

According to Bob Irwin, Springsteen (or, more likely, the "Springsteen organization" a/k/a John Landau) nixed the remasters. I can't imagine the label was happy with that decision, since the E Street Reunion Tour would not doubt have boosted sales of a remastered catalog. I wish I had a good explanation for why Springsteen doesn't want his catalog remastered, but I don't.

3. mikenyc

mikenyc New Member

Does ANYONE know what's the "final word" on those Japanese, limited mini-lps and, eventually, jewel case reissues, that were released not so long ago ?

Were they actual remasters or were they just jerking our chain again and trying to move, for want of a better term, "product" ?

4. JPartyka

JPartyka I Got a Home on High

Good question on the Japanese remasters. The only one I bought was "The River," but I can't compare it to the stock U.S. CD, I've never heard it. Compared to the LP, the Japanese CD is pretty good, slightly more shrill but not too badly.

"Born in the U.S.A." was the one I was really interested in ... the standard CD is horrible (the LP isn't much better). I too am bummed out about the cancellation of the remasters ...

5. Roger Meadows

Roger Meadows Active Member

13 years later ain't bad.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.