Ikea Expedit discontinued. Has anyone has tried the new Kallax as LP storage?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by oregonalex, Aug 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oregonalex

oregonalex Forum Resident Thread Starter

Is it comparable in quality? The size and color range is not as extensive so far.

2. whaleyboy

whaleyboy Senior Member

I have a 2 x 4 which is a changing table. I confirmed that records will fit into it.

The build quality seems similar to the Expedit but I have not loaded mine up with records at all (or any kind of weight, just some clothes) so I can't say if it will survive a full load of records like my Edpedit shelves can.

3. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

4. Abbagold

Abbagold Working class hero

jfbar167, mooseman and c-eling like this.
  5. danner

danner Forum Resident

mooseman likes this.
  6. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

------------------
    They sure looks the same as my old 2 x 4 that I bought from Ikea. The $60 price is about the same as well. I may pick up one of those 2x2s. My 2 x 4 is holding my lps just fine.

This will save me a trip all the way to downtown Atlanta by Georgia Tech. I'll bet that campus is covered up with Ikea stuff.

ellingtonic likes this.
  7. whaleyboy

whaleyboy Senior Member

The one that I purchased is in a turquoise finish and the finish is surprisingly nice. I have a grey Expedit that I use for records and the finish is at least comparable if not nicer.

8. Mike from NYC

Mike from NYC Senior Member

Looks the same as the expedit just a name change

9. dianos

dianos Forum Resident

It's not just a name change. The outer walls thickness has changed and became thinner and the finish is also different. Looks better now :)

10. Mike in OR

Mike in OR Through Middle-earth...onto Heart of The Sunrise

OH SH$% seriously? Well, I can only hope the replacement is just as nice. I have about 12 of the long ones to buy after I move.

11. whaleyboy

whaleyboy Senior Member

They are more or less the same dimensions, the shelves where records go is exactly the same size. It is just the perimeter shelving that is a little thiner. The finish is more like the later Expedits (they had a shiny grey and red and maybe some other ones).

12. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Does anyone know if Ikea, or anyone really, sells a 13"x13" board to nail behind the openings to keep things pushing out the back of Expedit/Kallax openings?

13. TLMusic

TLMusic Musician & record collector

I don't know who sells 13" x 13" board specifically, that would be nice. I have seen people nail wood strips (2 by 4's or smaller) along the lower back edge of each shelf. That basically keeps stuff from sliding out the back.

sound chaser likes this.
  14. jkauff

jkauff Senior Member

I'd think any lumber yard could make them for you.

RonW likes this.
  15. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I'm thinking more like something a bit thicker than poster board that I could tack on with wire nails. Just needs to keep LPs, or my kids various-sized books from sliding out the back.

TLMusic likes this.
  16. Why individual 13x13 pieces and not one piece to cover them all?

17. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Some of my Expedits have gear with cords that have to come through, or things slightly deeper than the cube. If I had one big piece, I'd be cutting lots of holes for wire pass through :)

18. Which you could still do, but I also understand what you're saying. :righton:

19. jsternbe

jsternbe Senior Member

I have 2x4 set. It isn't completely loaded yet, but it seems as good as my Expedit shelves. I think the quality seems just a little bit better, also.

20. RonW

RonW Forum Resident

For just a few dollars!

21. jmobrien68

jmobrien68 Forum Resident

I looked at the BH&G shelves from that WalMart link and I've seen pictures of the two Ikea models... my question to those who have them... Do the weight of the albums eventually cause the shelves to bow?

John B Good likes this.
  22. RonW

RonW Forum Resident

Will an LP clear the upper lip on the top shelf or do you have to tilt it to place inside? The bottom shelf openings look bigger.

23. danner

danner Forum Resident

My 1x4 shelf has evenly sized cubes. Here's a picture of it next to my 4x4 Ikea Expedit. It's about an inch shorter. (That's an extra one in the big cardboard box.)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 4, 2014
  24. danner

danner Forum Resident

Whoops. Guess that's what I get for editing my image a million times. Let's try that again:

[​IMG]

Kubricker likes this.
  25. whaleyboy

whaleyboy Senior Member

Home Depot and Lowes will cut boards to any size that you specify and they have a wide variety of wood choices.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.