Records that you have that were immediately withdrawn

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Larry Geller, Aug 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. onionmaster

onionmaster Tropical new waver from the future

Simple Minds' The Early Years 1977-1978 CD, apparently available for one week and then withdrawn because nobody knew who originally financed the recordings. It is pre-Life In A Day material collecting their second demo tape as Johnny And The Self Abusers, and their first demo as Simple Minds. I got really lucky on eBay and got it at a reasonable price because the final bidder withdrew.

[​IMG]

dino77 likes this.
  2. Cousin It

Cousin It Senior Member

Cold Chisel - Razor Songs original version pulled same day allegedly.

3. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

That's a nice item to have with provenance as the original purchaser.

I have the two-pocket Concert for Bangla Desh that was cancelled - mine is sealed without any "cut out" marking, which is nice. Strangely, I've seen a number of copies of this record over the years, but have actually never seen an open one - they've all been sealed.

4. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam

I USED to have "Monty Python's Contractual Obligation Album", with 'Farewell To John Denver' and the backing track out of sync on 'I'm So Worried'.

I stupidly gave it away to Half Price Books at one point.

5. Melllvar

Melllvar No Matter Where You Go, There You Are!

I was working at a Borders when that album came out. The music manager had a stack of Live Scenes on the counter that were marked to be sent back. I convinced her to sell it to me, as she knew I was a Dream Theater fan.

6. vinyldreams

vinyldreams Forum Resident

Heart - Magazine
    The unfinished version released by Mushroom Records that wasn't authorized by the group.

7. D Schnozzman

D Schnozzman Forum Resident

How about Australia the Lucky **** by TISM with the Ken Done parody cover? Would love to get my hands on one of those.

Original cover.
    [​IMG]

Reissued as 'Censored Due to Legal Advice'
    [​IMG]

Poison_Flour and Mylene like this.
  8. ranasakawa

ranasakawa Forum Resident

Gregg Allman - One More Try The Anthology
    I brought it then it was gone.........

9. D Schnozzman

D Schnozzman Forum Resident

Heh. I've got one of those. It has the best runout groove messages ever:
    Side 1: EXCUSE THE PAUSE BETWEEN SIDES. WE'VE JUST NIPPED OUT TO THE PUB FOR A PINT. PORKY.
    Side 2: DEAR MUM, PLEASE SEND ANOTHER CUPPA DOWN, STILL CUTTING THE PYTHON L.P. LUV PORKY

10. peteham

peteham Senior Member

I have that 94 Baker Street comp with the extra tracks. Apparently, mine was sent accidentally by Amazon.uk just before they were all withdrawn.

The Bish likes this.
  11. DaveinMA

DaveinMA Some guy

I have the "Shelley" version of Hot Rocks and UK's "Concert Classics Vol. IV".

Giorgio and Adam9 like this.
  12. socorro

socorro Forum Resident

All Beatles.

XEX 606-1 Revolver
    Australia "blood cover" Abbey Road
    Frank Ifield portrait cover (not exactly withdrawn, but was only sold for a few weeks before VeeJay's license expired)

EasterEverywhere and DavidFell like this.
  13. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

I'm sure I have others, but the first one that comes to mind is the original Mushroom Records edition of Heart's Magazine LP with the "contractual dispute" disclaimer on the back cover, from 1977.

14. Summer of Malcontent

Summer of Malcontent Forum Resident

The Imposter's 'Pills and Soap' 7" was a similar 'limited period only' release to coincide with the '83 election, though I think it was subsequently re-pressed. Don't know if there's any noticeable difference between editions, or what version I've got!

As with The King, the single was readily available for ages, so these examples are probably more like a lot of RSD releases: single print runs, but with plenty of stock available.

15. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

I have this - yes a real one, not a fake one - though honestly, I never have been able to determine if this was a mistake that was immediately withdrawn or some sort of very limited edition French only thing. I'm inclined to think it was an error:

[​IMG]

Paul L and Sentient Six like this.
  16. rednoise

rednoise Senior Member

Interesting! I have the LP with "Qu'ran" but I didn't know it was rare. I bought it from a cutout bin, so I had assumed it was a later common pressing. The song is a highlight of the album - I can't quite imagine the album without it.

17. geo50000

geo50000 Forum Resident

Here's a few that I have:
    Ramones - "Leave Home" ABC issue w/ "Carbona"
    Moby Grape - S/T w/ finger
    Skynyrd - "Street Survivors" w/ flames
    Bob Dylan - "Blonde" w/ Cardinale ...although these seem to be pretty common.
    Bob Dylan - "Blood on the Tracks" mural cover
    Black Flag - "Damaged" MCA/Unicorn "Anti-Parent" issue
    Roxy Music - "Country Life" Models jacket

and 45's...
    Paul McCartney/Wings - "Jet" w/ "Let Me Roll It" as B-side
    Lou Christie - "Rhapsody In The Rain" "dirty" version

bluemooze likes this.
  18. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

Ok I see them locally here. Does it SOUND any good? And what label is it on, "music for nations"?

19. martinb

martinb Senior Member

Manic Street Preachers - The Masses Against The Classes.

Deleted on the day of release, it still got to number 1. Easy to find copies.

20. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

What you're seeing locally is a pirated version - at least 99% chance. So I would stay away from it.

Nope, Bernett was the label that distributed Metallica in France at the time. Music For Nations does have their logo on the rear, though.

21. Craig

Craig (unspecified) Staff

Little Roger & The Goosebumps - Gilligan's Island (Stairway) - 45 on Splash Records

Bought it in a store before it was "recalled".

DavidFell and EasterEverywhere like this.
  22. jmcinnis

jmcinnis Forum Resident

Introducing The Doobie Brothers - pre-debut demos on Pickwick label 1980 [includes 'I'll Keep on Giving' - different lyrics with the music of 'Another Park, Another Sunday']

23. Surly

Surly Bon Viv-oh-no-he-didn't

This is what I was going to post as well. I bought mine for regular price off the internet back in 1998 - in fact, I may have bought it from an internet retailer that was linked on SM's site.

And while never released and then withdrawn, I do have a handful of DVD-Rs from Sony from when they were planning on releasing DualDisc versions of some of their We Are The '80s hits packages. These were a tie-in with VH-1 Classic, and each disc represents what would have been on the video side of the DualDiscs. They planned them for A Flock Of Seagulls, The Romantics, Scandal, The Bangles, and Bow Wow Wow. Not sure if there are any others. Each disc has a handful of videos mixed in with band interview clips, and hosted by Lynn Hoffman - they all look like special editions of the "We Are The '80s" shows from the early '00s.

24. rednoise

rednoise Senior Member

I have a Bob Dylan single in a picture sleeve that is labeled "Positively 4th Street" b/w "From a Buick 6, but the A-side is actually "Can You Please Crawl Out Your Window".

I have the first release of Zappa's "The Best Band You Never Heard in Your Life" with the actual band pictured on the cover. Not sure how long this cover was in circulation before they replaced it with the blank picture.

25. Glennza

Glennza Londoner, lost in the back of beyond

I've got the original Zappa in New York on vinyl (DiscReet UK) with Punky's Whips. Also got a copy which list it on the cover but it's not actually on the record.

From Wikipedia..

Zappa in New York was first released in early 1977 with Zappa's original intended track listing. A small number of LP copies reached stores in England before the album was quickly withdrawn. In 1978 some original cassette copies also appeared in the United States, though, apparently this was by mistake. Before re-issuing the album Warner removed one of the longest songs, Punky's Whips. This reduced the playing time of side one to a mere ten minutes. Warner also re-sequenced some of the remaining songs and edited Titties & Beer. This also violated Zappa's contract, which gave him complete artistic control over album content.

When Zappa's distribution agreement with Warner ended in 1982 all release rights reverted to him. Zappa re-issued Zappa in New York as a double CD in 1991 with the addition of 4 bonus tracks. The CD reissue was remixed to feature guitar overdubs that were recorded at the time of the album's issue but not included on the original vinyl, and contained a different recording of Punky's Whips and the full-length Titties & Beer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.