Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #58)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Jul 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

The sound is quite good for a 1962 analog recording ...

2. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

His "Gaspard de la nuit" doesn't quite eclipse Ivo Pogorelich's (it's very good, though), but it's very interesting to hear the excerpts from Daphnis et Chloe on the piano. Excellent sound.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  3. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

There are some box sets of music by Delius, each of which has its own merit.
    And I would like to recommend the one on Heritage for the sound (recorded by Tony Faulkner, Bob Auger and others) and the authenticity of the performances.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B008MKQ518/

kevinsinnott and bluemooze like this.
  4. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Looks very promising!

bluemooze, Manelus and Joe071 like this.
  5. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

This set arrived today. Some criticize Arrau for a lack of "sparkle" in Mozart, but I think his weighty tone and slower tempos add some needed gravitas. They were recorded from 1974-1990, so undoubtedly there will be some variation in sound (I haven't listened to all 6 discs yet, but I did compare a 1990 to a 1974 recording: the newer one had slightly more body in the lower registers, but a bit more "glassiness" in the upper registers.) Overall, though excellent sound.

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  6. Joe071

Joe071 Forum Resident

Indeed. :righton:

7. coopmv

Interesting box ... :righton:

8. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Indeed. The main downside is the extremely spartan packaging: 6 cardboard slipcovers crammed into a small sleeve and no notes. The price was right, though: US $23.87!

9. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

Isn't that kind of like saying that a person is quite fast for being an Olympic gold medalist sprinter? :confused:

Robin L likes this.
  10. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

I knew Gerry when he conducted the New York Chamber Symphony.

11. Manelus

Manelus Forum Resident

Interesting, both recording technique and performance.
    I'll give it a try as soon as it is released.

12. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

(Altus Japan ALTSA026 SACD)

ToddBD likes this.
  13. coopmv

Liner-notes printed on glossy paper and a nice box may actually cost more than the CD's ...

14. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

I have a few of his Hovhaness recordings with the Seattle Symphony and like them a lot. I just bought the Delos Hanson double and he conducts every piece with three different orchestras. I haven't listened to it yet.

15. coopmv

Now playing the following CD, which just arrived yesterday for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

Soulpope, ToddBD and J.A.W. like this.
  16. john greenwood

Both Giulini in America boxes are available on Spotify.

Soulpope likes this.
  17. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

(DG Universal Japan UCCG-90368 SHM-CD) - therefrom Symphony 9

18. john greenwood

In this case I was able to listen to 3 recordings of the opening of "Pictures at an Exhibition" (horn fanfare and strings) performed by the CSO conducted by Giulini, Solti and Reiner (redbook). I listened through a pair of Sennheiser 650s connected to an oldish Creek headphone amp. The source was a Squeezebox Duet. The Solti and Reiner were lossless. The Giulini though Spotify was purportedly at 320 kbps, so not that far from lossless. I would rate the SQ in this order:

1. Reiner
    2. Giulini
    3. Solti

19. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

I suspect that the key element in the SQ of the Reiner/CSO recording of "Pictures" is the way the ensemble extends to the farthest dynamic extremes in this performance. That is to say, it's the way Fritz Reiner and the Chicago Symphony Orchestra play full-out in their performance that makes the difference sonically.

Soulpope, kevinsinnott and ToddBD like this.
  20. john greenwood

In the limited excerpts I compared, the superiority of the Reiner was the sound of the strings. Sweet, not wiry.

21. ToddBD

ToddBD Forum Resident

Now playing...Symphonie Fantastique and the Overture to Les Francs Juges, Chicago Symphony/Solti. I love the crescendo at the end of the March to the Scaffold. Epic.
    [​IMG]

vanhooserd likes this.
  22. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Thanks for the Reiner recommendation--I just ordered the SACD version. It's amazing what those engineers could accomplish with just 3 mics!

23. ToddBD

ToddBD Forum Resident

What also amazes me is that some of the greatest stereo recordings in history were made at the beginning of the use of that technology.

24. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Yep. Here is a review of the SACD version that perfectly captures my opinion of current/past recordings: "Just how hard can it be, in this age of digi-techno miracle machinery, to make a recording of a major symphony orchestra that sounds natural? They could do it at RCA Living Stereo (and Mercury Living Presence) in the 1950's with only two or three microphones and analog tube equipment. Today, with all the gizmos, most orchestral recordings are over-processed, over-equalized, over-mixed and blended, pasturized and homogenized into grating sterility.

This recording is wonderful. The performance is magic. The SACD layer is even more natural sounding than the CD layer. Keep your 5.1 multi-channel surround sound, I'm hooked on Living Stereo."

ToddBD likes this.
  25. ToddBD

ToddBD Forum Resident

There is no way for me to like this post enough :edthumbs:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.