Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #59)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Aug 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Continued from here.

Welcome!

This thread (and the 58 that have preceded it) is for all things that relate to Classical Music. Feel free to post what you're listening to, recordings you recommend, recent classical purchases, classical concerts, classical works, classical composers or classical performers.

Please discuss audio hardware and music formats in threads dedicated to those topics.

Beginners are especially welcome. Feel free to post any questions that you may have about classical music and/or classical recordings. This includes requests for recommendations for recordings of particular works/composers, etc. We have lots of friendly, respectful and knowledgeable members who will be glad to help you out.

And as always, I would like to extend my sincere gratitude to all of the regulars (you know who you are) that continue to make this thread an enjoyable, civilized and informative experience! You guys are still the best!

:wave:

2. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Thanks. Still, that pales in comparison to the forest of mics in most of today's recordings.

3. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

This is a 2005 reissue of the 1983 & 1979 recordings of Prokofiev's complete Cinderella plus the Classical Symphony. It came recommended, but I am not sure this will be my favorite version until I hear some other recordings of the complete ballet.
    Andre Previn
    London Symphony Orchestra
    EMI, 2005
    2 CDs
    [​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  4. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

Dear George,

Not knowing your tastes very well, I could only give arbitrary advice. On top of it I only have the Chilingirian on vinyl and have never heard the CD so I can't even assess the relative digital sonics between them and the Doric. Also the Chilingirian only recorded 1 and 3. #2 is a bit more Viennese gemutlich musically and if you really like that style then only the Doric will do.

However, if your additional questions are prompted by some dissatisfaction with the Doric Qt samples then I would just bite the bullet and get the Chiligirian. Otherwise I don't think it is a big deal either way.

5. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Arggh! I waited to long to register for the Beethoven sonata class at Juilliard, and it was full. So I registered for a class on the romantic symphony. I don't know anything about the teacher. Fingers crossed.

Joe071 likes this.
  6. George P

Thanks again.

7. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I do not have this particular twofer but enjoyed the complete Tchaikovsky Ballet box by Previn on EMI ...

[​IMG]

Joe071 and bluemooze like this.
  8. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

I don't know about "Most" recordings, but the recordings I witnessed didn't involve a "Forest of microphones." More than seven but less than "a forest", more like eleven. I'm not saying that there aren't orchestra recordings that have too many spot mikes, I'm saying it's not the norm. More of that sort of thing happened in the seventies when multi-tracked/multi-miked recordings were a happening thing. Mind you, the microphones developed in the forties and fifties have a very different sound character. I have owned/used Schoeps 221b's into an Ampex MX-10 for recording classical music, the character of the sound was radically different from that of 1990's microphones and microphone preamps.

Collector Man likes this.
  9. drh

drh Talking Machine

I, for one, would be most interested if you'd elaborate. If you care to and this isn't the appropriate venue, I'd be happy to follow to a new thread--just give us the cross reference.

10. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Now: Franck: Symphony in D Minor - Pierre Monteux/Chicago Symphony Orchestra - RCA "Living Stereo" SACD, CD-layer

[​IMG]

11. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

Do you have a link to these? They sound interesting.

12. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

If the discussion gets overly subjective/judgmental in tone things could head south fast. Let me think on it. There's a discussion as regards the history of recording Classical music in there somewhere, but the history of the development of recording and its effect on sound and the performance of music would rapidly expand beyond the concerns of the CMC.

Short version—before Rock, the standard was live acoustic music. After? Not so much. So the fine-tuning of the parameters of the gear being manufactured adjusted accordingly.

13. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

14. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

Tomorrow's NYTimes has a review by Anthony Tommasini of two new issues of concert performances by famed American teachers (not as well known as performers), Leonard Shure and Howard Karp. AT admits he is "biased" in favor of Shure, as he was one of Shure's students in the late 70's at Boston University, but even adjusting for that "bias," his effusive praise for a 1960 recording of Brahms's First Piano Concerto with Bernstein is quite an endorsement.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/17/a...ard-shure-and-howard-karp.html?ref=music&_r=0

15. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

john greenwood likes this.
  16. drh

drh Talking Machine

Understood. Thanks, and let us know if you figure out how to start a thread on the subject, not doomed to rapid escalation into World War III, elsewhere.

Robin L likes this.
  17. drh

drh Talking Machine

I'll confess that I'm not terribly familiar with Shure and not at all with Karp. I do have a couple of Shure recordings: Epic LPs, one with Beethoven's Diabelli Variations and one with Schubert's Moments Musicaux and C Minor op. posth. sta. Not sure that I've ever played either--perhaps something to do today. :idea:

Edit: Oh, yeah, I forgot: my LP cartridge--perhaps appropriately, a Shure :D--needs remounting before I can spin any LPs--one channel way weak. :cussing: I'm pretty confident the headshell is the culprit. That's one reason I've been hewing mostly to 78s of late.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2014
  18. autodidact

autodidact Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    The performance is fine, but this is an early early digital recording. 14 bit PCM. The high frequencies are sort of blurry, and if you ever want to know what bad reverb decay sounds like, there isn't a lot of reverb on this CD to start with, but it trails off to a point and then disappears down a black hole once it reaches the digital event horizon. Still, all the notes are there. It just doesn't capture the detail one would wish for. I'm fairly convinced that the US LP added artificial reverb in mastering, so it wouldn't sound so weird. At least my recollection is that the LP has more reverb, whereas this is fairly dry (and foggy).

bluemooze likes this.
  19. George P

We'd love to have you, Sean!

SBurke likes this.
  20. drh

drh Talking Machine

And speaking of 78s, last night my 9-yr-old daughter, who is taking voice lessons, asked a perhaps somewhat fraught question about how boys' voices change as they get older. :help: Not entirely as a diversionary tactic, I pulled down from the shelves 78 RPM generic storage album no. 8 (I'm now well into the 300s, with most containing either 10 or, more often, 12 records), which contains in sleeve 6 a very late 78 (rec. 1949) of Boris Christoff in "Ave Signor" and "Son Lo Spirito" from Boito's Mefistofele. The former, in particular, is a terrifically vivid recording, and my word what a deep, black voice that man had. Not a mean whistler, either! Now, in sleeve 5, I have the same two arias sung by Fyodor Chaliapin, and the comparison was interesting, at least to me. Chaliapin, at least on this record, did not have the same kind of powerful, deep voice, and his recording, predating the War, is rather dim by comparison, but he had it all over Christoff in the "excitement" department--I know which devil I'd prefer to see on stage. Yet another example of how what matters is not just the natural endowment, but how the artist uses it.

21. Joe071

Joe071 Forum Resident

That should be very interesting. Have fun! :righton:

john greenwood likes this.
  22. coopmv

Now playing the following CD, which arrived two days ago for a first listen. Lazar Berman was one of pianists that I started to follow when I first got into classical music ...

[​IMG]

bluemooze, Bachtoven and Joe071 like this.
  23. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

I count 10 mics for this DG piano recording! (Pierre-Laurent Aimard's new Bach CD--comes out August 19th in the US.)

[​IMG]

yasujiro, bluemooze and SBurke like this.
  24. coopmv

Now playing the following CD from my Grieg collection for a second listen. I probably bought this CD a decade ago ... LOL

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  25. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

I was lucky enough to see/hear Berman on his first US tour (and once again a few years later)--he was a force of nature! His legendary set of Liszt Transcendental Etudes just got re-issued on CD:

[​IMG]
    The sound is awful, but his playing is jaw-dropping!

bluemooze and George P like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.