Guns N' Roses - Chinese Democracy - Discussion

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Uly Gynns, Jul 18, 2014.

1. PopularChuck

PopularChuck Senior Member

Lol. Ok. You're right. The current lineup is the best thing since blowj0bs and beer and Axl is not a controlling megalomaniac.

2. PopularChuck

Three decent songs and a pile of steaming excrement by the Axl Rose Ban... Er, Guns n Roses.

3. When 'Chinese Democracy' was released, a local music store in the mall (no longer there) played it in it's entirety for people to listen to. So, as a curious person old enough to have witnessed the whole G'n'R phenomena, I sat & listened to the whole thing. I was incredibly unimpressed, to say the least.

The whole album was just to 'un-groovy', ya dig? And the whole reason I liked G'n'R in the first place was because 'Appetite For Destruction' was heavy AND groovy. Not too many rock'n'roll bands back in '87 were either, if memory serves. The groove disappeared with the 'Illusion' albums IMHO, never to be seen again & was instead replaced with some type of grandiose progressive hard-rock vibe. God bless Mr. Rose for his ambition, but the direction he took G'n'R in just isn't my cup of tea. My 2 cents...

Fullbug and pablorkcz like this.
  4. vinylphile

vinylphile Forum Resident

I actually quite like Use Your Illusion. I could do without some of the grandiose, as you put it, songs...like November Rain and Civil War. Sure, it could have been an absolutely awesome single album, on par with Appetite. But it had some tremendous rockers - in a less heavy and more classic rock vein. Many of the songs reminded me of the Stones' better work.

But Chinese Democracy is - well, is fully deserving of all the scorn. It is bombast without the songs.

HotelYorba101 likes this.
  5. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

thats not the same thing at all.

6. Well said.

7. Matthew Tate

thats what makes a band great. some people think chinese democracy is the bands 2nd best album and others here think its terrible

Vinyl_Blues likes this.
  8. Baba Oh Really

Baba Oh Really Certified "Forum Favorite"

If it were a natural progression where a member quits, a member is replaced, and so on and so forth, and if the music sounded the same, then sure, why not?

Hey - Page/Plant tickets were sold in the paper classifieds by scalpers as Led Zeppelin tickets. Remember that.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  9. Baba Oh Really

Baba Oh Really Certified "Forum Favorite"

My point is clearly and obvious to anyone (else) that there's a "double-standard" at work here when it comes to Guns N Roses and Chinese Democracy. Can't believe I had to spell that out for you.

10. Matthew Tate

i showed the lineup changes. only 3 guys left the band during the 1998-2014 period, buckethead, robin fink and bryan mantia. josh freese was never technically in the band but hired to lay down some drum tracks. fink left to return to NIN. buckethead wanted to go back to his solo career. funny from 1986-1997 the band had 9 different members and was a 6 piece band on stage not counting the extra touring musicians. from 1998-current the band has had 12 different guys and was an 8 piece band. hopefully you can do the math and see from 1986-1997 the band was smaller yet went through a larger % of members in a shorter span. we are comparing 11 years to 16 years.

Vinyl_Blues likes this.
  11. Rodz42

Rodz42 Forum Resident

Axl ruined a great band. That is the end of the story.

12. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

so axl rose is a scalper. got it.

13. botley

botley Forum Resident

Fixed that for you.

Dudley Morris likes this.
  14. vinylphile

I don't see that at all. There are people in both situations with varying opinions. You're just making an issue out if it.

15. vinylphile

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Guns_N'_Roses_band_members

That's not a band, that's Axl Rose solo. Again, nothing wrong with a solo act. But I don't have to like it.

HotelYorba101 and PopularChuck like this.
  16. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

A train wreck waiting for years to happen.

17. PopularChuck

Switching gears here, I've always thought Izzy is vastly under-rated as a guitarist, Slash is over-rated and of all the guys in the band, Duff is the guy I'd most like to hang out with.

18. PopularChuck

The album, or this thread?

Vinyl_Blues likes this.
  19. ...whoops. Wrong thread. I was actually looking for the Roger Water/David Gilmour = Pink Floyd discussion. :p

20. spintheblack72

spintheblack72 Forum Resident

I own it on vinyl, I've played it once I doubt I'll play it again, it's not very good.

I don't think the Illusion albums are masterpieces but they have enough contribution on them to still call them GNR albums despite Rose taking a more dominant control of the proceedings. Democracy is comparison is just an Axl ego trip that has no right to be labeled a Guns'n'Roses album.

Having the wheezing vocals of one original member of the band does not justifiably convince me they are that band, especially when no one else had nothing to do with the original incarnation.

21. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

How many times have you listened to Chinese Democracy?

Vinyl_Blues likes this.
  22. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

No worship on my part. Just pleased that a band with a singer with powerful pipes and unmistakable Axlness released such a marvelous album in 2008 and is excited about making new music for GNR fans. After playing the CD five or ten times, Chinese Democracy finally clicked with me. I look forward to much more enjoyment from the CD and flowing freely with the beautiful and drum machined goodness.

23. vinylphile

I'm glad you enjoy the album. You are perfectly entitled to this opinion. But that doesn't give you the right to attack those who don't share it. Opposing opinions on the album are just as legit as yours.

We don't "worship" their classic late 80s / early 90s lineup anymore than you "worship" Axl or their current lineup.

SwollenGoat likes this.
  24. Matthew Tate