Record/CD Stores in South Florida?

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by teaser5, Dec 20, 2011.

1. teaser5

teaser5 Cool Rockin' Daddy Thread Starter

Going to visit mom and pops in Boynton Beach, FL over the holidays. I will have my car.
    I got tons of great places to get my eat on (John G's, Snappers, Flakowitz, 3 G's, Bens in Boca) but no place to cop tunes. Help!

Happy Holidays!!
    Cheers-
    Norm/t5

2. JPagan

JPagan Generation 13

In Ft. Lauderdale / Broward County:

CD Heaven on University Dr in Tamarac (Forum member; ask for Bruce)
    CD Trader on Sheridan St in Hollywood
    Radio Active Records on Sunrise Blvd in Ft. Lauderdale
    FYE at the Sawgrass Mills Mall.

In Miami:

SPEC's (the original) on US 1 near Sunset Place
    Museo Del Disco on SW 70th Ave just south of Calle Ocho
    Yesterday & Today Records on Bird Road & SW 92nd Ave

In Palm Beach County:

Outside of FYE stores in the Boynton Mall and the Boca Town Center Mall, I don't know of any. The big SPEC's on Okeechobee was closed a while ago. That used to be my go-to store when I lived in West Palm. Good memories.

3. teaser5

teaser5 Cool Rockin' Daddy Thread Starter

Hey Thanks!

When I was down there last week we had dinner in Boca I think at a place called Nestors. Anyway there was a CD store nearby that I peeked into while my pops was gassing up the car. Looked like a head shop. More bongs than cd's. Still I'll be down that way for over a week and will be able to ditch the family for at least a couple of hours.

Happy Holidays!
    Best-
    N/t5
    :wave:

4. Tjazz

Tjazz Breakfast at (a record store)

Radio Active Records on Sunrise Blvd in Ft. Lauderdale

Overpriced LPs.

5. hitmanhart408

hitmanhart408 Forum Resident

Just went to Specs. They are going out of business. 20% off vinyl

6. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

Will be in Miami this week. Actually more like Surfside, so even yesterday & today is a 30 minute drive. Anything closer?

7. JPagan

JPagan Generation 13

Sorry for the belated answer... Uncle Sam's in SoBe is closer, but I never bother with the place – overpriced and kinda dumpy.

I'll take this opportunity to update my post from above:

In Ft. Lauderdale / Broward County:

CD Heaven on University Dr in Tamarac - CLOSED :cry:
    CD Trader on Sheridan St in Hollywood
    Radio Active Records - MOVED: on US-1 just south of Sunrise Blvd in Ft. Lauderdale
    FYEs at the Sawgrass Mills, Pembroke Lakes and Coral Square Malls.

In Miami:

SPEC's (the original) on US 1 near Sunset Place - CLOSED :cry:
    Museo Del Disco on SW 70th Ave just south of Calle Ocho
    Yesterday & Today Records on Bird Road & SW 92nd Ave
    Uncle Sam's Musicafe on Washington Ave & 12th St, South Beach

In Palm Beach County:

FYEs in the Boynton Mall and Wellington Green
    FYE in Boca Town Center - CLOSED

8. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Thanks for the update! Dunno when I'll be in FL again, but that should come in handy...

9. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

Unfortunately I am now out of the country and no longer in Miami, but I appreciate the tips. (Any hints on record stores in curaçao? Hahah)

I did find on google maps a store called Cd traders or something to that effect, which was very close and dealt in used vinyl, however after seeing the street is on I realized It was a street I had been warned was a real ****ty neighborhood, so I never made the trip.

10. JPagan

JPagan Generation 13

:confused: CD Trader is not in a ****ty neighborhood at all. I mean, it's not the Beach, but it's not some low-rent hell hole either. It's quite safe to go, I assure you. The store itself is small but has lots of decent stuff at reasonable prices, and the people who work there are real sweethearts. It's one of two places I still bother making the trip to (the other being Museo Del Disco).

11. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

Wish I was better informed :( I almost went anyway in spite of the obviously false information. I really should have.

12. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

Update:
    Uncle Sam's Music in Miami Beach still has some new and used LP's but not many. Their new address is 939 Washington Avenue

Radioactive Records in Ft. Lauderdale and Yesterday and Today Records in Miami are the best places for used LPs. Radioactive Records also has a small selection of new LPs.

The place with the best selection of new indie LPs is Sweat Records located at 5505 NE 2nd Ave. in Miami. They have a small selection of used LPs--maybe 500 total.

13. Tjazz

14. white wolf

white wolf Forum Resident

CCD Heaven went out of business over a year ago. There is a really good Record Store in Lake Worth. Although he has some CDs, most of his store is geared toward selling vinyl. He doesn't do ebay or any online selling and buying.

15. white wolf

white wolf Forum Resident

I have been to CD trader a number of times. He has a good location. He is in a rather large shopping center with a very large Publix Food store for one of the anchors. He also turns his stock over pretty well. He has a lot of customers, probably since hes the only used CD shop that is any good in South Florida. He also has a lot of DVDs. Not much vinyl though.

16. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

It's funny that you revive this thread now, at this particular moment I'm in Miami again and I just made a visit to Sweat records... ****ty area so I made it quick but I scored some studio 1 goodies and I'm alive so I can't complain

17. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

Made it to y&t records, a long drive away and a bit of an iffy area but one of my best record buying experiences ever. Highly recommended

18. steelydanguy

steelydanguy Forum Resident

I lived in South Florida -- in the West Palm Beach area -- from 2011 until earlier this year. I have to admit that I was disappointed by the independent record store scene in the region, especially considering that it's so highly populated (5 million-plus people).

It's not that the area didn't have any options, but I just expected to see some more comprehensive stores for one of the largest metropolitan areas in the U.S. CD fans especially might find the area disappointing. Some others have broken down the region pretty well on this thread already, but here are my thoughts:

Radio-Active Records in Fort Lauderdale: Probably the best store in South Florida. Mostly used vinyl, with separate bins for new arrivals. Seems like there's a fair amount of turnover in the stock, which is always a plus. They have a small section of CDs -- mostly or all used if I remember correctly.

Yesterday and Today Records in Miami: Small store that's packed with mostly used vinyl but some CDs as well. Stock trended toward older stuff ('60s and '70s). The proprietor seemed like a good guy.

Sweat Music in Miami: This store/cultural center in the Little Haiti neighborhood was pretty small. Its stock was mostly, if not all, vinyl. Had a fair amount of new, still-sealed indie vinyl.

Uncle Sam's on Miami Beach: Great location for a store, but I didn't find much there. Had CDs and vinyl.

The Record Rack in Pompano Beach: Cool town and an OK little store. Again, nice owner. Had vinyl and CDs.

Top Five Records in Lake Worth: Under-the-radar, meticulously organized store. Someone mentioned this place in this thread. The owner/operator, John, is a nice guy. Mostly vinyl -- much of it from the '60s and '70s. You can find some interesting titles. Has a new arrivals bin, too. Carries some used CDs, but the majority of the floor space is for vinyl.

Those are the independent stores that I tried when I lived in South Florida. There was another store in West Palm Beach called Music, Movies and More that closed while I lived there. The store was often criticized on online message boards for poor customer service, but it actually did have some collectible CD items in stock.

By the end of my time living in West Palm, most of my CD purchases from brick-and-mortar stores were made at Barnes & Noble, Best Buy, Target and Walmart! Again, not a very good region for CD lovers. Vinyl fans have it a little better off.

For comparison's sake, there were three stores elsewhere in the state that I liked better than any store in South Florida. Those stores were Bananas in St. Petersburg (the regular store plus the massive vinyl warehouse) and Rock and Roll Heaven (good mix of oldies on vinyl and CD) and Park Ave. CDs (nice selection of new CDs with some vinyl) in Orlando.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2014
    jfeldt, DM Curator and Daddy-O4 like this.
  19. JPagan

JPagan Generation 13

CD Trader is the best used CD store in South Florida now, especially since CD Heaven closed a while ago. Those looking for used CDs shouldn't bother with Radio Active – their main focus is on vinyl, and their CD section reminds me of Goodwill... it's really lousy.

When I lived in West Palm, the big SPEC's on Okeechobee Blvd. was a great place for used CDs. It was gone by the time you moved in, I think.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2014
  20. JPagan

JPagan Generation 13

Good store for vinyl and very friendly staff; I recommend it too. BTW, the store itself is on Bird Road, a main commercial artery with lots of traffic. It's quite safe to go. The only reason not to is if you have problems going up steep staircases.

21. steelydanguy

steelydanguy Forum Resident

I wish I had known about CD Trader while I was living in South Florida; I definitely would have checked it out.

One place I didn't mention in my previous post that I did try was Big Apple Bookstore (or Big Apple Books, I've seen it listed both ways) in Fort Lauderdale. They sell used books but also used CDs and used vinyl. The prices are cheap, and I did find some used CDs that I liked.

22. Tjazz

Kinda like a thrift store. They scan the CDs/books and sell the higher priced items elsewhere. Buyer beware on purchases. All sales final, no returns. Condition of cd/dvd/LPs are random.
    Big Apple prices;
    CD $2.50
    Books $4
    DVDs $2.50
    LPs $4
    monthly sales : everything priced at $2 (multi-set priced higher)
    Books are organized somewhat. CDs are only organized slightly, (not alphabetized)

23. AnotherEargazm

AnotherEargazm Forum Resident

There is also Confusion Records in Lake Park. Plenty of used vinyl and CDs. Used LPs start at $5. They also carry new vinyl.

24. JPagan

JPagan Generation 13

Thanks, I'll check it out when I'm in the area. I was a loyal patron of Easel Art Supplies, so I know exactly where this is.

25. black sheriff

black sheriff Magic City

There's an elevator in that building.

Iffy? Not sure what you mean by that. If you would have driven about a mile South of the store you would have driven by one of US News Best High Schools in the US.