Guns N' Roses - Chinese Democracy - Discussion

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Uly Gynns, Jul 18, 2014.

1. vinylphile

vinylphile Forum Resident

Minor role in that album and no songwriting credits. Who cares either way?

Not sure why I continue to waste my time with someone with such limited capability of understanding that sometimes people just see and hear things differently.

"Time machine fantasy". Sheesh. It would be funny if it weren't so infantile.

Carserguev likes this.
  2. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

Keep trying to keep Dizzy down. Wouldn't want him to get in the way of your fantasies.

3. Will that make Chinese Democracy sound better?

theshape likes this.
  4. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

He didn't post anything "trying to keep Dizzy down", he posted exactly what Dizzy did with the Illusions.

And the only fantasies in this thread I see is someone who is deluded to think that opinions either don't or should not exist. Some people do not consider the current group as the same band regardless of the name - get over it. Using straw man arguments and projecting your own "fantasy" or "worshipping the past" BS arguments onto posters here is a feable attempt at stifling said opinions. Get over it man and move on....

Carserguev, vinylphile and mace like this.
  5. S. P. Honeybunch

He didn't take the time to discuss what Dizzy actually played on and Dizzy's solos. He just said, "minor role". That is keeping Dizzy down like a red headed step child.

We love you, Dizzy Reeduhhh! Yowzaa!

6. S. P. Honeybunch

No, it is a car driving album. Everybody know that. Don't drink and drive.

7. vinylphile

He doesn't have to. He has no real opinion on Dizzy. The dude was a bit player on that album in comparison to what was then the core band.

But he's glad you like Dizzy.

8. Well it is the same band whether you consider it the same or not. It's a fact - this band is Guns N' Roses. What IS different is that it is a different lineup of the band Guns N' Roses, but the fact remains that it is the same band.

Why this has to go on for 9 pages is beyond me when it's a pretty simple distinction. It doesn't matter if you accept it or not - you don't have to accept that the Earth is round because it remains a fact whether you accept it or not. It's Guns N' Roses, period.

9. HotelYorba101

Well the thing is opinions regarding a band go beyond a sheer name in a legal sense which is what has been made a clear distinction these past 9 pages. Sure it may be GNR by name, doesn't mean we have to view it as the same band, which a lot of folks don't

10. Well, if the Earth imploded and became a large bloated mass of gas and fragments - rather like GnR these days - it would still be "Earth" as it's a planetary orb occupying the same orbit, but it wouldn't be the same planet.

11. old time fan

old time fan Active Member

Minor role, or whatever you want to call it, Axl isn't the only link to the past as you erroneously implied.

12. vinylphile

Right - that changes EVERYTHING!!

So, of the current band members, one had an active role, one had a very limited role...and the remaining 5 or so (hard for me to remember how many of them there are now - they used to be just a 5-piece but now the arithmetic is more difficult) no role at all in the previous album 18 years ago.

And some people wonder why not everyone can see them as GnR in any way other than their name??

13. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Nothing having to do with GNR is simple.

14. Smiths22

Smiths22 Well-Known Member

I bought it two months ago finally, the album is NOT bad but the rest of the band is missed.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  15. HotelYorba101

I like many of the songs off the album, I just think that if they laid back on the heavy use of protools copy/paste the songs would have a bit stronger sonic sound to them. The songwriting isn't as strong as the old band, but still worth a listen in its own right IMO

16. 905

905 Senior Member

I like it. I do think it should of been called Use Your Illusion III. The title Chinese Democracy had too many expectations to it, and it wouldn't of pleased everyone no matter how good the music was. (And the music is good.)

Last edited: Aug 22, 2014
    Vinyl_Blues likes this.
  17. 905

905 Senior Member

Axl and drugs ruined a great band.

18. 905

905 Senior Member

I think Sugar Pie is making some great points.
    And for all of the complaints about Chinese Democracy, I think a lot of it has nothing to do with the music. It's just that some old GnR fans miss the old days with Slash.

19. vinylphile

Honestly - I really only care about the music on its own terms. And to me it is a lacklustre, overproduced, portentous mess. The fact that it is Axl the megalomaniac with a different band that is still using the name Guns and Roses is secondary. If the music were stronger I don't think the other stuff would really be of much concern.

20. kohoutek

kohoutek Forum Resident

Thread moved me to play "Catcher in the Rye" again, which I totally dig. Though the mix and overall sound of the record is out of my comfort zone, I appreciate the hard work that went into making this record. The challenge would have been to do the songs unadorned, with a stripped sound, minimal, just the voice and a piano, drums, three-track mix--now that would have been interesting. The songs would have held up to this, I believe, and would have showcased Axl's strongest suit--melody and vocal.

Vinyl_Blues and 905 like this.
  21. Smiths22

Smiths22 Well-Known Member

yes i agree not as strong but it is not bad.

22. old time fan

It doesn't change anything, only your credibility suffers.

23. vinylphile

It's not a question of credibility. Dizzy Reed's minor involvement in Illusion or not, GnR v2.0 has little to no connection with the past other than name and is basically Axl solo from a musical standpoint, in my opinion. I don't care if you disagree with me.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2014
  24. old time fan

It has already been established that there is a connection to the past, contrary to your previous claims. Whether you choose to call it 'minor involvement' or 'little or no connection' is irrelevant. The sooner you come to terms with this reality and embrace it the more heartbreak you'll save yourself from in the future.

25. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

can't be the same band with a different line up. same BRAND? sure. but not same band.

vinylphile likes this.