Record stores in New York

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by ekymetal, Mar 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sethICE

sethICE Forum Resident

They are in the same location as the old Discorama store.

2. Hep Alien

Hep Alien Forum Resident

Count me in!

3. Peter_R

Peter_R Maple Syrple Gort Staff

Is this happening? I'm in NYC, and I'll be here until mid-August. I'd be happy to meet up with fellow SH.TVers

4. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

I'm glad I ran into this thread again, I will use it as as resource. The wife and I are visiting NYC later this month. We are coming up to see Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds (Prospect Park).

We are staying 3 nights in Williamsburg and 2 nights in Manhattan. From what I gather, Greenpoint is a good area for shops and fairly close to Willamsburg. I guess we can travel there by foot or Uber. Princeton Record Exchange looks to be good but I'm not looking at making a day trip out of it.

My goal is to see and experience the city (with just a little tourist stuff mixed in) and do some mild lp shopping. The main thing is to sit back enjoy good food and drinks and meet people. When I was in Japan for 2 weeks, I held myself to only 20 or so lps, so if I can pick up 4-5 nice lps in NYC, that would be cool. My main era and genre shopping will be 70s funk, r&b and rock along with 90s hip-hop.

My first assumption was that NYC stores would be pricey. It seems they are well curated and that is a huge plus. I'm not really a bargain bin shopper. I typically spend $10-$50 on new additions to the collection at this point. In ATL, we have some good stores but I always love to see what each city has to offer.

5. cc--

cc-- Forum Resident

be sure to make it to A-1, on E. 6th.

drasil and mikemoon like this.
  6. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

Thanks!

7. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

Out of curiosity, when did Discorama shut down? Man did I used to drop a lot on $10 cutout CDs at that place. I used to get lists of CDs to pick up for my friends in college (U of Delaware) when I went back home as the CDs were so much cheaper than we could get locally.

8. sethICE

sethICE Forum Resident

Discorama still exists, but at a different location - W. 8th St. between 5th and 6th, a few doors down from Electric Lady Studios.

jhm and drasil like this.
  9. JimC

JimC Senior Member

We'll be in Manhattan this weekend.

Peter_R likes this.
  10. JRM

JRM Forum Resident

Gimme Gimme relocated...to LA.

drasil likes this.
  11. Tone_Boss

Tone_Boss Forum Resident

You could take the train to Princeton Record Exchange.

Sneaky Pete likes this.
  12. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

Or you could take the train to Massapequa Park on the LIRR. Infinity is right across the street;

http://www.infinityrecords.net/

Mostly used LPs, good new vinyl section and great prices. They have a listening station. They also sell vintage gear. Best Record Store in NY imo.

drasil likes this.
  13. hornsz

hornsz Forum Resident

Hello,

Looking for some info to help the planning for a trip to Manhattan this weekend. Staying in Midtown and have never been to Brooklyn.
    Could anyone provide an approximate time via subway to Greenpoint? This will help organize the festivities....

Thanks
    Dave

14. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

Don’t know about mid-town, maybe add another 15-20 minutes to this, especially if it will be a first time. From 14th st/Union Sqr to Bedford Ave maybe 15-20 minute ride, maybe another 5-10 before catching a train. But to get to the Greenpoint record stores proper, count on another 20-30 minute walk.

Sneaky Pete likes this.
  15. hornsz

hornsz Forum Resident

So, if I'm thinking about this properly, it sounds like I'm catching a train to Greenpoint and then need to walk another 20 / 30 minutes once I'm there, which would be about an hour give or take altogether?

Don't you just hate newbies? :wave:

16. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

your best bet is to use google maps

17. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

Or just plan that with bin diving time you are spending, with lunch what, ¾ of a day on the whole thing and so just figure it out as you go. It is not the kind of thing you are fitting in between a museum and a Broadway show. You could pay attention to store hours; e.g., Rough Trade has some late ones, and fudge your time one way or the other to account for a significant other’s wishes.

18. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

pretty sure Rough Trade is open (for god knows what reason) until 11pm Monday-Saturday, and until 8 or 9 on Sunday.

bmoregnr likes this.
  19. hornsz

hornsz Forum Resident

so while I'm at it, I've read through this whole post and am wondering if there is a preferred store that would have decent vinyl selection of:

• 1960's Rock (Classic, Garage etc)
    • Soul
    • Rhythm & Blues

Understanding that everyone has their own preferences.

When in the City, I've spent almost all my time in the Village and thought it might be a good idea to try Greenpoint. But that was when I wasn't buying vinyl, just CD's.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2014
  20. edb15

edb15 Senior Member

click the subway icon on google maps for exact times (assuming trains are on time, also, leave a few minutes earlier than they suggest to account for turnstiles and stairs, so, google maps estimate plus 10 is almost always safe.)

21. ubertrout

ubertrout Forum Resident

Definitely check out the Academy Stores in the East Village and Greenpoint (not so much the E. 18th St. location, which is great for classical but not as good for popular genres). I could be wrong but I don't think you'll find Rough Trade terribly helpful, their selection is pretty hipsterish.

In terms of getting to Greenpoint, you've picked exactly the wrong weekend to come. The G train isn't running to Greenpoint and there's no other subway service right there (http://web.mta.info/nyct/service/G_GreenpointTubes_FixFortify.htm). This might actually be a case where a cab from midtown might be your best bet (especially from the east side, it shouldn't cost more than $15-20. On the flip side, the Bedford Ave. L train stop (the first stop on the L train in Brooklyn) is just under a mile walk away from Academy in Greenpoint, and the route takes you by Rough Trade, Pop Fuzz, and a number of other places in Williamsburg.

One dark secret of New York is that it's rarely worth taking a train if there's only 1-2 stops, since you can generally walk 1-2 stops in about the same time it takes to wait for the train and then ride it (with some obvious and some less obvious exceptions).

22. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

I am a cd guy, so take this with a grain of salt. I stopped by Academy in Greenpoint just to check it out and would guess that would be your jam. I think Rough Trade is pretty well curated but you are getting no bargains there. Permanent Records is ok but on the small size so probably leave that for only if you have time to spare. That is all I checked out on my foray over there. Hopefully some locals can chime in.

23. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

I was just at the Academy on 18th St yesterday and I think the selection improved a bit. The Jazz section hasn't recovered but Rock and R&B was better than I have seen it in quite a while.

I think they were short changing 18th Street in favor of the other locations for a while.

bmoregnr likes this.
  24. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

That is good to hear re Academy 18th St because I stopped bothering with it out a few years ago and just went for cds straight to Other Music and (now sadly closed or on its deathbed) Kim's when in that neighborhood.

25. hornsz

hornsz Forum Resident

First off....thank you to all who have been responding.....its much appreciated.

Am crafting a plan of attack that will probably combine a quick visit to the Ground Zero location (gotta keep the wife happy so I can spend some $$), stopping in the East Village to check out Academy, followed by Bleecker Street Records (its a tradition...have to go there) and then to Greenpoint. Probably have to find the Deli that was on Diners and Dives so that will be two feathers in the cap with the wife and then the stores in Greenpoint.

Don't mind riding the subway as thats part of the charm of the City.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.