Bob Dylan's Basement Tapes - where we're at currently (Part 2)...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hodgo, Aug 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff Thread Starter

2. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

Best thread of the year, Part 2!!!

(....and the mice were squealin' in my prison cell.............)

DeeThomaz and HominyRhodes like this.
  3. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member

Yes, Sean, but no tears of rage this time.....

Maybe could all just holler, "coo coo!"

L.

Sean Murdock likes this.
  4. HominyRhodes

HominyRhodes Forum Resident

OK, I'll re-post this:

5. Dark Horse 77

Dark Horse 77 A Parliafunkadelicment Thang

Just felt like adding a :agree: to this finally happening. Jeff Rosen and company have made it good to be a Dylan fan.

AGimS, DeeThomaz and DmitriKaramazov like this.
  6. HominyRhodes

Old Triangle/Royal Canal, yes.

And I wonder if the Spanish Song, Teenage Prayer, et al, in hi-fidelity, will rival Frank Zappa on the goofiness scale.

7. gottafeelin

gottafeelin Forum Resident

8. voles

voles Forum Lurker

'Teenage Prayer' was available from Bobdylan.com for a time. Whether that's the finished version or not I don't know.

Incidentally, listening through the tracks in the new order, it is really astonishing how everything comes alive on CDs 3 & 4 - starting specifically with 'Million Dollar Bash (take 1). This is the section which produced most of the released songs. It is as if they suddenly got serious...

9. HominyRhodes

Absolutely, that's when they knew they were making demos that other people might hear, and they did get serious, instead of just jamming and messing around.

10. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Does the fact that "I'm Not There," "Minstrel Boy" and "Santa Fe" are simply listed as "previously released" mean anything? I would assume they enjoyed the same "restoration" as the other tracks, but "Quinn The Eskimo" and "I Shall Be Released" (the other two tracks released after BT75) are listed as "restored."

Bob M. and Claudio Dirani like this.
  11. HominyRhodes

They're cashing in on the material for the second time in the last forty years, and rightfully so, but think of all the extra money they could have made if they had simply issued this kind of "complete" box in the early '90s, before the internet made most of it free for the taking?

EDIT: That's assuming that they had all the tapes, which they may not have had access to until recently.

12. HominyRhodes

I'm anxious to hear what they've done with those tracks, as well as with Tiny Montgomery, which never sounded top notch.

13. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

You know, I think this box should have been released ages ago. But had it been, not only would they not (apparently) have had access to the same tape sources, but the sensibility about these things back then probably would have resulted in a much pared-down "curated" collection instead. This is probably the best possible time for this to have finally happened, ultimately.

JL6161, ronbow, Mr. H and 2 others like this.
  14. HominyRhodes

Sorry, I misunderstood your question. I think they may have gotten the original reels containing "Quinn The Eskimo" and "I Shall Be Released" from Garth, instead of sourcing them from the "Safety Tape" which was a 2nd generation copy (and now resides with Neil Young?)

subtr likes this.
  15. Dark Horse 77

Dark Horse 77 A Parliafunkadelicment Thang

I think they waited until they could get the best sources, decided they had as good as they were gonna get and finally said let's put it out already. Smart move of course doing 2 and 6 cd versions. I agree that had this come out in the early 90s there would have been way more editing therefore way less tracks for us. As for it coming out ages ago I've only been waiting on this about 15 years or so, I can't imagine those who've been waiting some 40 years!

DeeThomaz and HominyRhodes like this.
  16. subtr

subtr Forum Resident

I wonder if it's to do with original sources.... Quinn and I Shall Be.. may have come from the tapes used in 1975 - being shortlisted for the release initially. The tracks since released may come from the same sources used for this box set, so they're not restored as such (I'm hoping for new transfers - one of the bootlegs has a better sounding Santa Fe than the BS1-3).

Pure speculation, again.

GetRhythm likes this.
  17. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Well, sure, that's exactly what they did. They sat down and seriously cut some publishing demos.

18. subtr

subtr Forum Resident

Ok I was beaten to it!

HominyRhodes likes this.
  19. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

I agree. Up until the last few years the golden rule for record companies was to smelt their source material down to one or two discs. Only now are we seeing a consistent retail push of larger multi-disc sets. Moreover, it's only now that record companies are confident to release music of largely documentary quality: yes, we had The Beatles Anthology, but that was very much the exception.

DeeThomaz likes this.
  20. Moth

Moth fluttering by

Y'know, I wonder what prompted this set to come out now. It seemed pretty clear that #11 was supposed to be Blood on the Tracks thanks to that "Duquesne Whistle" RSD single, and it was even mentioned as the next one by some guy talking to Rolling Stone. Then, without a single word/press announcement, the Basement Tapes are being released as the next Bootleg Series. Now, Blood on the Tracks is going to be #12, it seems.

I wonder what happened in those couple of months. So bizarre.

21. subtr

subtr Forum Resident

I think there might have been a re-think on Blood on the Tracks, purely because next year it'll be a 40th anniversary for it, and that might boost some sales if they chuck in the original album as part of the package too.

DeeThomaz likes this.
  22. HominyRhodes

GetRhythm may have to give us a refresher course on the history of the tapes, but IIRC, until Garth and Jan Haust allowed them to be accessed recently, the only source material CBS/Sony had to work with were the reels used by Robbie Robertson and Mr. Fraboni in 1975 when they did the official album.

GetRhythm likes this.
  23. The Reasoner

The Reasoner Forum Resident

I've only been waiting about 8 years for this (80s-born Dylan fan here). Just trying to imagine what this is like for those of you that have been waiting 4 decades.

Anyone else planning to hop to a specific track as soon as they get this? Wild Wolf seems like a big source of curiousity. I'm dying to hear Blowin in the Wind, though.

24. Phlo

Phlo Formerly dave-o

I just saw a pic of Bob and Rick Danko in the new issue of RS (Robin Williams cover), described as being taken "just before the Basement Tapes sessions began." Looks to be from the same day as DeeThomaz's avatar. I'm getting more jazzed by the minute.

DeeThomaz likes this.
  25. hoggydoggy

hoggydoggy Forum Resident

Being a non-hardcore BT fan (albeit that I'm dipping back into ATWR frequently these last few days!), I'm curious: at what stage does the recording setup reflect the level of seriousness attached to the project?

One of the things I've noted from re-listening to ATWR with a little more of a critical ear is that many of the earliest recordings sound as though Bob is simply singing un-mic'ed along with the rest of the instruments and yet, by the time we get to the original material, he's clearly mic'ed and has that heavy, unmistakeable echo unit applied to his voice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.