Life With Lucy

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Mirrorblade.1, Sep 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

Sounds to me like the mistake was that Lucy should have BEEN one of the Golden Girls, instead of this series.

milankey, Matthew Tate and Jrr like this.
  2. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Maybe it's just because I think everyone was perfectly cast on Golden Girls but I just can't see her working as any of the character's in that show. I think she should have just quietly stepped out of the spotlight after doing the TV specials in the 70's.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2014
    Vidiot and bartels76 like this.
  3. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I'm all for the compete "Life With Lucy" box set with episode commentary from Vidiot. Who do we call to make this happen?

fr in sc, Matthew Tate and Jrr like this.
  4. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Okay, that I would buy in a heartbeat!

5. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

What is that?

6. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Oh, the famous Digital Laugh Filter. Amazing invention. It makes even bad comedy shows funny. I'm told they use a musical version of the same thing to take tone-deaf modern performers and make it seem like they're capable of singing.

krock2009 and pdenny like this.
  7. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Yeah, Lucy's comic persona just was not one that could be aged well. She played an lovable goofball who always screwed things up and got herself into physically precarious situations. When an elderly person screws things up you don't laugh, you just feel sorry for them. And if they're in a physically precarious situation it's worrisome rather than funny. There's no way to make an elderly version of the Lucy character work, and I don't know that audiences would have accepted her playing a completely different character either. Some comic personas can age, others can't. Groucho's character aged very well and he was still funny when he was old. By contrast, when you watch some of Harpo's final appearances and see an old man trying to do his physical comedy, it doesn't work so well.

fr in sc likes this.
  8. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

GSN has "All Star Super Password" on right now with "Star of Life With Lucy" Lucille Ball and "Star Of Golden Girls" Estelle Getty and Betty White.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  9. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Golden Girls still does great in syndication all these years later- even new generations are getting hooked on the show!

Matthew Tate likes this.
  10. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

I know. I just thought it was ironic to see them all on a game show stage together the day after the discussion in this thread related to both shows.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  11. Benno123

Benno123 Forum Resident

I wonder if this is the Password appearance taped the day Desi died?

12. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

I did not know that.

It probably was as I doubt Lucy made many other appearances on that game show.

Today was the "Monday" episode so she will be on the next four weekdays at 11 a.m.

13. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

As much discussion as this series gets on SHF (I think it comes up every six months), I would love to see it again. I'm pretty sure I checked out after the second episode during the original broadcast.

At the time I was working nights, but I'd eat my lunch every day to an I Love Lucy episode on our local station.

14. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

I have never seen this thread before. Sorry to participate in a subject so old and tired.

15. Benno123

Benno123 Forum Resident

Thanks for the heads up! I could not find the show in our listings so knowing what time helps out a lot, thank you.

Betty White has talked before about during the taping Lucy's concentration was not there. She said you could just tell she was thinking of Desi. Then during a break in taping she said that Lucy told her something along the lines of "I didn't think I would be this upset. Just like that he's gone." This was December 2, 1986 ... she last talked to him two days before on November 30th, that would have been their 46th anniversary.

tonyc likes this.
  16. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Co-star Donovan Scott is the guy who knows all the Lucy stories, and he's still around and active in LA theater. He stayed in touch with Lucy all the way to the end. He told me she'd call him once a month, he'd ask her how she's doing, and she'd sigh and say, "well, I checked the obituaries today and I wasn't listed, so I figured I was OK." :sigh:

Matthew Tate likes this.
  17. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

Apparently, GSN has changed their program listings again. "Deal Or No Deal" is now in this timeslot.

18. Benno123

Benno123 Forum Resident

Our cable guide has Password on sat and sun both days @ 9am. Hopefully they show more Lucy and Betty :)

19. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Maybe Cozi.tv will air them and then we will get commentary from Vidiot between commercials.

20. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Doh! I thought I would never see the day. For the first time, some of the rarely-seen 1986 Life with Lucy shows are being released on DVD! Noted comedic actor Donovan Scott was pretty much the best thing in the entire show. (I disavow the color correction, because it was one of my early sitcoms. I got better over time, particularly when we finally got tape-to-tape going in 1990.)

[​IMG]

Only 4 episodes are included, but trust me: there aren't even 4 good episodes among the 12 that were shot. This was a haaaaaaarible show, but I concede it's historically important and a curiosity today for fans and collectors. I'm 99% certain they did not go back and rescan and reassemble all the original negatives together, because of the massive cost and time involved; I think they just grabbed the 1" analog videotape masters and used those.

Lucy: the Ultimate 12 DVD Lucille Ball TV Series Collection - Time Life

MRamble likes this.
  21. jjh1959

jjh1959 Senior Member

Only available as part of the $100 set. I've re-bought Lucy too many times to buy this just for 4 episodes of Life With Lucy. If it somehow becomes available as a separate volume, or I find the set extremely discounted, maybe. They screwed up I Love Lucy on blu-ray by making it so prohibitedly expensive that it stopped after 2 seasons.

22. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Wow... I'm kind of shocked to see this being released at all. If they'd release the whole series on DVD in a standalone set I would buy it just for the train wreck factor.

23. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I defy you to watch more than 3 episodes in a row. Most of the weeks we worked on the show, we just stared at the monitor and shook our heads, open-mouthed, at the profound lack of funny. Not a good show. Everybody tried very hard (most of all Lucy), but the story ideas and characters were very "1972", I think.

24. stereoguy

I tuned into one episode for one reason only....I wanted to see Gale Gordon and he did'nt dissapoint:

"That Woman is a MENACE...I'm moving INNNNNNNN".....

Vidiot likes this.
  25. stereoguy

By your comments , one would think Lucille Ball had no real talent. Even at an advanced age she had more talent than most female comedians. And I say that as a guy who never really liked all her shows.....but I know super talent when I see it.
    Lucy would have been GREAT on The Golden Girls as part of an ensemble, not responsible for getting all the laughs, ,and it would have been a much better vehicle for her than the pressure of having her "own" show.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.