Have you ever received a pirate CD through 3rd party Amazon seller?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Vinyl Fan 1973, Sep 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad" Thread Starter

A few weeks ago I ordered a Kate Bush CD through a 3rd party seller on Amazon, and upon receiving the CD today realised it was a cheap Russian or Chinese bootleg. The smell of the booklet almost knocked me out, and the graphics are downright cheap and crude. I've contacted the seller and I'm waiting for a reply.

I wanted a UK pressing of the CD so I ordered from a seller that ships from the UK, and I end up with this junk?! This has never happened to me before, so I was just curious if there are others on here that have experienced the same thing? Is this a growing trend that I'm just not familiar with?

2. raveoned

raveoned Forum Resident

The Beatles in Mono CD sets ended up getting the pirated treatment and lots were filtering through Amazon 3rd party sellers. I'm pretty sure anyone who experienced that were able to get a full refund.

3. stevemoss

stevemoss Forum Resident

I had this happen recently on eBay, with a CD by Chase. The legit CD is a Japanese mini-LP; when my order showed up in a jewel case I was suspicious.

4. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

I orderd the Beatles in mono from a 3d part seller at Amazon.com. It was a-admiteley well done counterfeit. Got a refund from Amazon without any problem. Kept the bootleg as well but now I have the real one. Guess things like that are bound to happen.

5. Dr-Winston

Dr-Winston Forum Resident

I got a pirated mono box & only ordered through Amazon because I thought it would be legit (I should have known better the price was indeed too good to be true). However I got a full refund and was told to keep the box. I gave it to a friend who could not afford to buy any of the reissues. Most of the CD's played fine but both Help! & Rubber Soul had digital noise on the end of them (the stereo tracks) and of course it was those two CD's I was really after. The artwork was falling apart before I even opened the box. I'm still waiting for the price to come down...the vinyl box now makes this purchase unlikely for me.

6. Vinyl Fan 1973

The first thing that struck me was the graphic lines going through Kate's face on the CD jacket. Never noticed that before on any CD pressing I've seen in the stores. Then when I started looking at the CD spine and barcode, I noticed how blurry it was, kind of like it was done on a cheap photocopy machine. Then the smell, OMG the smell is so bad, I had to put the CD in another room it stunk so bad. I am shocked, as I've stated I've never experienced this before.

7. avalanche

avalanche Forum Resident

Yes. It's happening more often, usually with used orders. I've whittled down my acceptable third party merchants to a small list because of this.

PROG U.K. likes this.
  8. KariK

KariK Forum Resident

I bought Madhouse - 8 cd few years ago and I Believe it's counterfeit because of the print quality of the booklet.

9. Walter H

Walter H Santa's Helper

I got an Asian pirate DVD from an Amazon marketplace seller. The legal release is a dual-layer video DVD; this one was a single-layer, pressed, data DVD. It actually looked quite legit.

10. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

Not an Amazon situation, but I "won" an auction on ebay for a brand new copy of the Grateful Dead "The Golden Road" boxed set for about half of the going price. The set arrived a few days later, from Barnes & Noble (where it listed for double what I paid). I contacted ebay and B&N because it all smelled badly, but they were of no help. Sure enough a few weeks later I received notification that MY B&N account had been suspended, because I received materials purchased with a stolen credit card. After a few phone calls they lifted the ban, but they didn't want the box back (not that I was excited about the idea of bearing the brunt of the rip-off, rather than them or the credit card company). I wonder how common such practices are.

11. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

Amazon is alright with this nonsense?

12. Vinyl Fan 1973

I have yet to hear back, I would imagine they are not. The interesting thing in all of this, is how these 3rd party sellers cannot answer any questions about product details regarding their inventory. 3 times I have emailed the seller to ask about specifics on the CD they have for sale (original, which country, reissue, etc...) and I kept getting emails back saying they are unable to answer specifics about their stock, as it's in a large warehouse and they cannot access it. This tells me they may be buying stuff in bulk and doing the best they can to match the description with the items on Amazon's site. They might never know that the stock they bought was unofficial. Who knows, maybe they are aware?

I'm sure if Amazon knew this was going on they would fight it, but how could they control stuff like that? I guess if they received too many complaints regarding the same seller, they could suspend them from selling on their website.

13. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

What was the title of this Kate Bush album?

14. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

I'm less, and less fond of Amazon every day

15. Vinyl Fan 1973

The Whole Story. I'm going to post pics tonight. It's funny because I found another seller on Ebay selling the same CD, with the same flaws in the graphics that show up in his pics of the CD. His disclaimer states they do not sell Fake CD's LOL, I think these sellers just don't realize it.

16. Happened to me with Crosby & Nash's Wind on the Water. :realmad:

I think Amazon is way to big to be able to catch problems like these before they happen, but they're generally pretty good about refunds on these issues.

Vinyl Fan 1973 likes this.
  17. Vinyl Fan 1973

This is very true, Amazon has always been very gracious in the replacement and refund dept. They usually always send a replacement allowing me to keep the original item, or offering a refund and telling me to keep the item in question. Also, it must be stated I did not buy this directly from Amazon, it was a 3rd party seller that I found on their site. I'll post the reply from the seller once I receive one, and in defense of the seller they have amazing feedback. Perhaps others are not aware when they receive pirate CD's? I placed the order with them as I had ordered vinyl from them and loved their service, so I decided to order the CD through them. Now I'll just find a UK copy on Ebay and be done with it.

18. HominyRhodes

HominyRhodes Forum Resident

When I got my "new" sealed CD copy of Bob Dylan's remastered Bringing It All Back Home, purchased from an Amazon seller at a discounted price quite a while ago, something about it didn't look quite right. The plastic CD case looked really cheap, the printing seemed to be slightly blurry, and -- most telling to me -- it didn't have that yellow sticker on the outside saying "Newly Remastered." I returned it and Amazon actually sent me the genuine CD by overnight courier, at a cost to them of an extra $15...no profit on this transaction for them. From now on, if it's something I really need, I'll pay full price.

Vinyl Fan 1973 likes this.
  19. mr_mjb1960

mr_mjb1960 I'm a Tarrytowner 'Til I die!

Is the Archies Essential Music Group's Made To Order CD-R's considered Pirated CD's as well? If so,Ron Dante is cool with them out,the Lead Singer,BTW
    ...He has them Plastered all over His Facebook Pages!

20. Bobby Morrow

I can't think why anyone would need to sell fakes of The Whole Story, or indeed, any of Kate's albums here. They're all still in print and are pretty cheap.

21. I notice this happens a lot. The sellers too have a mass quantity of items to keep track of. And it's not just bootlegs that slip through, sometimes the wrong edition (i.e. non-remastered version rather than its remastered counterpart) get sent out. I used to have the idea that these sellers just had the item in their closet or something and had good knowledge of it, but many sellers use warehouses so these problems do happen from time to time. But very rarely in my case and I've yet to be hassled for a return or refund. so I'm okay with their practices...for now...

Vinyl Fan 1973 and HominyRhodes like this.
  22. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

No, never through Amazon.

I got a fake Beatles mono box off eBay and a couple questionable looking Elvis FTD’s. I returned the mono box without any problems.

Other than that the people I’ve dealt with have been legit, but that might only be because I made the effort to check on the seller’s feedback before buying.

23. Vinyl Fan 1973

Totally agree, it's very weird. I remember reading a few months back of a huge bust in Germany of a counterfeit pressing plant, that produced hundreds of thousands of CD's, so you never know.

24. Bobby Morrow

The only reason I can think of for these counterfeits is that with Kate's UK tour in progress her albums have all been selling very well again. So maybe there has been a shortage of stock? I was thinking of getting The Whole Story myself, so I'm glad I read your post!

25. Vinyl Fan 1973

Good point, I didn't think of that. I did some research and it seems there is a version of The Whole Story that is being sold that includes a bonus DVD. It would appear this version is 100% counterfeit. Mine does not come with a DVD. It's a great compilation and I wanted it for the Ipod and car since I have her albums on vinyl.

Also I should mention that if you do want to buy it, get the one that was actually made in England, as I hear this is the best sounding version. If you look at the CD it will actually say made in England on the CD itself. Some will say Canada, US, Japan, or even Holland, but the UK is the one you want. It may be easy for you as you are actually in England :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.