Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #60)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Sep 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George P

George P Way Down Now Thread Starter

Continued from here.

Welcome!

This thread (and the 59 that have preceded it) is for all things that relate to Classical Music. Feel free to post what you're listening to, recordings you recommend, recent classical purchases, classical concerts, classical works, classical composers or classical performers.

Please discuss audio hardware and music formats in threads dedicated to those topics.

Beginners are especially welcome. Feel free to post any questions that you may have about classical music and/or classical recordings. This includes requests for recommendations for recordings of particular works/composers, etc. We have lots of friendly, respectful and knowledgeable members who will be glad to help you out.

And as always, I would like to extend my sincere gratitude to all of the regulars (you know who you are) that continue to make this thread an enjoyable, civilized and informative experience! You guys are still the best!

:wave:

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  2. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

Listening again to Richter's Rachmaninov. Recorded Salzburg Sept 1971. Licensed from Olympia.
    Richter
    Rachmaninov: Preludes & Etudes-Tableaux.
    Alto, 2010.

[​IMG]

Bolero, AxC., Soulpope and 4 others like this.
  3. Bachtoven

Bachtoven ^^ Yes, that’s me!

I was in the mood for some thorny British music, so Tippett's 3rd and 4th String Quartets nicely filled the bill! Great playing and sound.

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  4. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Delightful music.

5. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

BTW, the following recording played by J.A.W. is miles ahead of the one recorded by Hilary Hahn on DG. I have the SACD in my JS Bach collection ...

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  6. drh

drh Talking Machine

Boy trebles: back when they were in vogue, in the good old days of cruddy nutrition, boys matured later, and hence their voices broke later, too. That gave them more time to develop artistry and some degree of musical maturity than is the case today.

I've mentioned it before, but my favorite Spem in Alium is by the Clerkes of Oxenford with--sopranos!

kevinsinnott likes this.
  7. coopmv

At least I have yet to hear any Handel Messiah with an all male cast, HIP or not. Indeed, soprano voice adds so much more to choral works ... :righton:

Mr Bass likes this.
  8. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

The Hogwood/Schroeder recording of the Bach violin concertos was among the very first group of (5) CDs I ever purchased. I still listen to it frequently.

J.A.W. likes this.
  9. George P

[​IMG]

Now listening to this set. Beautiful playing, but the outer movements aren't lively enough for my taste.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2014
    bluemooze and ToddBD like this.
  10. jukes

jukes Forum Resident

Now listening Schumann's A-moll quartet op. 44 (1) (that's with the Mendelssohn D-Dur quartet op. 44/1).

Just wanted to thank Soulpope of his recommendation concerning the Gewandhaus-Quartett's Mendelssohn-Schumann Op. 44 releases. Yep, I got them all three - gee, even the SACD-hybrid of 44/3's is still available - and am getting to know them. Just checked that the (Mendelssohn) recordings are the same as the ones in the "Sämtliche" 4 cd-set. Haven't paid much attention to sound quality, yet. Therefore, can't be that bad...

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/classical-music-corner-thread-59.374946/page-19#post-10978172

Mr Bass and Soulpope like this.
  11. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

The Schröder/Hogwood recordings were leading HIP performances in their day, but I prefer Standage with Pinnock and especially Podger in these works.

bluemooze likes this.
  12. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Just got this one and am listening to it now: Händel: Water Music; Music for the Royal Fireworks - Jordi Savall/le Concert des Nations - AliaVox

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  13. john greenwood

I got the Pinnock box set with Standage quite recently. So far only one listen, but I liked it.

ToddBD likes this.
  14. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

For those who like minimalism, this looks like it will be an interesting release

jfeldt and CMcGeek like this.
  15. drh

drh Talking Machine

Small world department: after a long, long hiatus, I just bought an SACD from Amazon (or, more properly, a reseller), and it also presented these two Handel scores. The one I chose, however, is by L'Arte dell'Arco under Federico Guglielmo on CPO. I heard the overture of the Fireworks Music from that recording on the radio and thought it an uncommonly exciting account. Haven't heard any more yet. Question: in the Savall, how's the percussion work? Does it include "side drums" (relatives of what we call "snare drums") and, if so, do they play a prominent role? Robin will cringe at the memory, but the Telemann Society recorded a pioneering period instruments account for Vox at the turn of the '60s, and although the brasses are sadly out of their depth most of the time, those side drums are thrilling. I've yet to hear another account to match in that one respect. My new CPO did not have any in the overture, but it did have good work from the tympani.

And oh, by the way, does Savall opt to include strings?

bluemooze and Mik like this.
  16. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

My listening session was interrupted; all I can say is that Savall does use timbales (kettledrums), a caisse claire (snare drum) and strings.

17. coopmv

Absolutely! AAM with Monica Huggett and Catherine MacKintosh among its ranks plus Christopher Hogwood on the harpsichord set very high reference standard for these works that most subsequent recordings simply cannot match ...

Mik and bluemooze like this.
  18. coopmv

I have the English Concert/Pinnock set as well and it is excellent ... :righton:
    I added this SACD to my Handel collection a few years ago but have listened to the recording only once. IIRC, the opening movement just sounded a bit more dramatic than any other versions of Water Music I have ...

19. coopmv

Now playing CD2 from the following box for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

kevinsinnott, Mik, ToddBD and 2 others like this.
  20. john greenwood

McGegan is very good with this,

Mik and Robin L like this.
  21. Bachtoven

Bachtoven ^^ Yes, that’s me!

No 45-47 today. Aahhh....

[​IMG]

Mik, bluemooze and J.A.W. like this.
  22. AxC.

AxC. Forum Resident

Found this at the SA today still in shrink

[​IMG]

Going to take a long time for me to listen to the whole thing.

Soulpope, vanhooserd, ToddBD and 2 others like this.
  23. coopmv

Just completed playing CD3 from the following box for a first listen. My impression is largely positive so far, though the tempos are a bit fast but the style of this French ensemble is quite different from MAK or the Freiburg Barock ...

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  24. coopmv

This looks like an older release ...

25. George P

[​IMG]

Listening to more of this set this evening. As I suspected, his playing works well at night.

bluemooze likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.