Pink Floyd - "The Endless River" -- New Release October 2014 (Part Two)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mark, Jul 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Didn't the deceased member of TG work for Storm for a short period as an assistant?

2. Baba Oh Really

Baba Oh Really Certified "Forum Favorite"

Indeed:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Christopherson

Peter Martin Christopherson (also known as Sleazy, 27 February 1955 – 25 November 2010[1]) was a musician, video director, commercial artist, designer and photographer, and former member of British design agency Hipgnosis.

This "Rabbit Hole" keeps getting deeper and deeper..

3. pink-nice

pink-nice Member

It is a Fake-Cover from Amazon.

4. botley

botley Forum Resident

Haha! It's interesting you would read it that way. I'm not sure the line "leave [as] a pocketful of stones and not believe in other lives" necessarily indicates an atheist interpretation of the universe, but I do read the song as humanist.

5. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

That doesn't stop it from being discussed as if it were real. Not on the internet. :laugh:

Kim Olesen likes this.
  6. Maybe the most hideous fake album cover ever.

I alternating love and hate it, and continuously love hating it.:p

Smiths22, driverdrummer and dirie like this.
  7. Hawklord

Hawklord Senior Member

I don't know much about it. I hope it will be AAA.

Lownote30 likes this.
  8. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

Without reading through 2 threads, has there been a definitive date set for the release yet?

9. Carserguev

Carserguev Forum Resident

Yup, November 10th. :goodie:

10. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

Seriously?
    the October release is nov 10?

11. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Yep. When this thread was started...on July 5th, October was expected.

12. Spacement Monitor

Spacement Monitor Forum Resident

Pink Floyd was worried about competition from the new Yusuf album. :)

13. tommyball

tommyball Forum Resident

I apologize if I missed a post but is there any other source for this November date besides that Billboard Fall album page?

Between the official site and the fan sites I follow — Neptune & Brain Damage — there have been no dates mentioned. There really hasn't been much at all since July except for the pictures from The Mastering Lab.

14. Smiths22

Smiths22 Well-Known Member

This:
    https://www.jpc.de/s/pink floyd endles

15. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Free Four from the NPF forum just picked up the November issue of Uncut mag which features David and Nick on the cover and reveals the following about the album....

FreeFour wrote:
    It is not based on The Big Spliff

Only a few seconds of the original Big Spliff (which was created by Andy Jackson) appear.

It does not contain any source from The Soundscape (Pulse Cassette)

Rick Wrights original recording from playing the Organ at The Royal Albert Hall during afternoon rehearsals in June 1969 has been mixed in.

The LP is based on four different pieces each taking a side each.

There is one song with lyrics called "Louder Than Words". This song is concerned with providing a full stop to the Pink Floyd saga, embracing the full history of the band. Gilmour sings ;

We bitch and we fight
    But this thing that we do
    It's louder than words
    The sum of our parts
    The beat of our hearts
    It's louder than words

It focuses on the more atmospheric and digressive aspects of Pink Floyd and includes snippets of conversation.

Phil Manzanera played a key role throughout the project which started in August 2012 by Gilmour asking him to listen to the jam sessions.

Nick Masons drumming was the first element to be recorded in November 2013.

Gilmour and Mason spent in total 30 days over dubbing guitars and recording drums.

Apparently a very interactive and positive experience with Mason and Gilmour playing together again

Release date is 10th November.

There is much more context in the article, but hopefully this gives you an insight.

[​IMG]

16. mestreech

mestreech Forum Resident

Thanks for the news

17. I hear the cover will have the image of Kenny Loggins on it.

[​IMG]

18. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident

The Endless River (Deluxe CD/Blu-Ray Casebook Edition)
    Pink Floyd; Audio CD
    Sold by Amazon.com LLC

$31.98
    (or less)
    Why?

19. xXFloydianXx

xXFloydianXx One Slip, and down the hole we fall

Nothing appearing on Amazon search, or from the original link you had up (404'd). Hmm.

20. LarsO

LarsO Forum Resident

Thanks for the info. I'm slightly confused about one thing. Phil Manzarena started listening to "the jams" in 2012. I assume this is the 1994 jams leading up to The Division Bell. But the album is not based on "The Big Spliff"? I thought that was a nickname for a large part of the unused jam recordings that was even more ambient/atmospheric than what ended up on DB...

21. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Thank you Rontoon; much appreciated :thumbsup:

....looks like we'll have to buy this issue of Uncut. I see there is an article about Kate Bush too :D, so no reason not to purchase it

22. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Cheers for the update, Rontoon!

That bit about 4 side-long tracks is intriguing. Looking forward to it.

23. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

Absolutely intriguing. Nov 10th can't come soon enough.

24. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Thanks for the update on the matter, Rontoon!
    Really looking forward to this release and all this that I mention earlier here:

25. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Back at Amazon. This is IT folks!

http://www.amazon.com/Endless-Deluxe-Blu-ray-Casebook-Edition/dp/B00NQKWAIQ/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1411380214&sr=8-6&keywords=pink floyd endless river

http://www.amazon.com/Endless-River-Vinyl-Pink-Floyd/dp/B00NQKW98C/ref=pd_rhf_dp_p_img_1

http://www.amazon.com/Endless-River-Deluxe-Casebook-Edition/dp/B00NQKW94G/ref=pd_rhf_dp_p_img_2

I told you so! Some more from Uncut.

Arranged across four sections (called "four sides"), it is an instrumental album-with one song "Louder Than Words" embedded within Side Four – that largely privileges the band's spacey, ruminative qualities. Reassuringly, the elements for which they are best known- ethereal synths, acoustic passages, melodic guitar solos, exploratory digressions, sweeping organ- are all very much to the foreground. But critically, there is also another story here. The Endless River is a splendid tribute to one of their fallen comrades, the band's co-founder and keyboardist, Rick Wright, who died on September 15, 2008, aged 65. Indeed, the source of The Endless River lies in material originally recorded in sessions for The Division Bell by Wright, Gilmour and Nick Mason. "When we finished the Division Bell sessions," says Gilmour, "we had many pieces of music, only nine of which had become songs on the LP. Now with Rick gone and with him the chance of ever doing it again, it feels right these revisited tracks should be made available as part of our repertoire".

Mr. H, Shak Cohen and Billy Infinity like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.