Un-Grateful Thread - What Are You Listening to Instead of the Dead?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tom H, Sep 24, 2014.

1. Tom H

Tom H Forum Resident Thread Starter

We have a thread for Deadheads to discuss what Dead-related music they are listening to. But we can't listen to the Dead all the time, right?

....RIGHT?

So those of you who usually listen to the Dead, but aren't right now, what are you listening to today?

I'm taking a break today with the new U2 album and Miles Davis' complete Seven Steps to Heaven box.

2. Mad Dog

Mad Dog Forum Resident

I'll play....

Spanish Gold - South of Nowhere - an LP that Los Lobos could/should have made.

Also going to buy Tweedy - Sukieria, today so I'll spin that one too.

3. JimSmiley

JimSmiley Team Blue Note

Bobby Hutcherson-Mosaic Select 26......followed by 08.27.72.

4. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Today I listened to Starless and Bible Black by King Crimson. In fact, I might listen to it again. I haven't listening to the Grateful Dead lately, so I guess in a few months I will have a great Dead fever again.

5. brew ziggins

brew ziggins Forum Prisoner

6. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

Haha, fun topic.

Yesterday, listened to Revolver (U.S.) and Hey Jude when I was at the gym. And also played some early electric Dylan, though that's not too far off the Dead, is it? LOL

7. AnotherEargazm

AnotherEargazm Forum Resident

Well I just got this Garcia, Saunders, Kahn and Vitt Live at Keystone double LP.

8. BillG

BillG Forum Resident

The new Analogue Productions Bag's Groove SACD.

JRM likes this.
  9. JRM

JRM Forum Resident

I've been getting more familiar with Art Tatum lately. Jerry raved about him in different interviews over the years...

"Art Tatum is my all-time favorite. Yeah, he’s my all-time favorite. He’s the guy I put on when I want to feel really small [laughs]. When I want to feel really insignificant [laughs]. He’s a good guy to play for any musician, you know. He’ll make them want to go home and burn their instruments. [Laughs.] Art Tatum is absolutely the most incredible musician – what can you say?"

10. Olias of Sunhill

Olias of Sunhill Forum Resident

Right now, I'm listening to Bernstein conduct Sibelius' "Pohjola's Daughter," but I feel some '73 Dead coming on next.

11. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

Lately, lots of Dylan, Fairport, Sandy Denny, some Beatles.... but mostly The Dead

12. Emmett66

Emmett66 Forum Resident

Kiss, Bowie, Blackfoot, Procol Harum, Buck Owens, Rolling Stones, Pretty Things, Thin Lizzy......

13. smoke

smoke Forum Resident

The new Lucinda Williams...again...

Clonesteak likes this.
  14. unravelled

unravelled Forum Resident

I'll second the

I'll second the Spanish Gold - South of Nowhere recommendation. Surprised this release hasn't recieved mire acclaim. I also keep returning to the war on drugs LP.

jeffrey walsh likes this.
  15. smoke

smoke Forum Resident

I'm liking The War on Drugs' new one, too, although I can't decide whether I like or dislike how much his voice sounds like Tom Petty, Mark Knopfler and 80's Dylan.

16. dajokr

dajokr Classical "Mega" Box Set Collector

I run hot and cold. I will listen to the Dead for weeks, then I need a palette cleanser. Right now, I am listening to Leonard Cohen's first album. Been spending a lot of time with baroque music on the Vivarte and Seon labels, too.

TonyACT, johnaltman and PhoffiFozz like this.
  17. DLeet

DLeet Forum Resident

Anything but them. Just haven't checked them out yet and I am not sure whether I should..

18. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

The allmans Fillmore box

19. Lil' Brian

Lil' Brian Forum Resident

Lana Del Rey "Ultraviolence" from Target on Saturday afternoon. I never go in there but there it was and now it's mine. :)

20. Matt Ellers

Matt Ellers Senior Member

Been listening to the audiobook version of Tune In by Mark Lewisohn (the new bio on The Beatles up to 1962) and also listening to pretty much EVERY song he mentions as a formative influence (Youtube is very handy) or songs they played live but never recorded as well as all the early and pre-historic Beatles recordings. Nights when it's too late and too loud for the Dead I have been listening to early Bee Gees and Zombies. And a bit of Queen coinciding with the new Rainbow '74 release. And the Kinks Lola Versus Powerman Deluxe. All British stuff now I see it written. Hanging out for the Bob Dylan Basement Tapes Complete in November.

tug_of_war, Eyes74, Scopitone and 3 others like this.
  21. Scopitone

YouTube is a wonderful tool when reading music books.

I found it to be indispensable when reading the punk history Please Kill Me, for instance.

Eyes74, nbakid2000 and Matt Ellers like this.
  22. Matt Ellers

Matt Ellers Senior Member

Amazing times we live in. Used to read books and have to imagine what they were talking about. That's if somebody else hadn't checked the book out of the library in the first place. :)

23. Scopitone

Indeed. YouTube in particular is one of those tools that has changed life as we know it in a way that I can't imagine the original designers ever envisioned. And it's only been around for what, 9 years? :yikes:

Eyes74 likes this.
  24. *Zod*

*Zod* Forum Resident

samthesham likes this.
  25. brew ziggins

brew ziggins Forum Prisoner

Rico Amantio likes this.