‘Lost In Space’ series reboot in the works

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Deesky, Oct 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident Thread Starter

I watched reruns of this show when I was a kid and if memory serves, I recall that the first season or so was pretty good, but as it went on, it became increasingly cheesy (even at my tender age), but I still watched it for the robot, Will & Dr Smith.

Fun fact I wasn't aware of before, the theme music was composed by John Williams.

So, now it seems that the Robinsons will be heading back to space once again. Legendary TV has put in a development for Lost In Space, a remake of Irwin Allen’s 1965 cult TV classic. Feature writers Matt Sazama and Burk Sharpless, who penned Dracula Untold!!!

Oh, the pain, the pain...

EdogawaRampo likes this.
  2. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

No **** pain. Make it stop.! Two new hack writers
    go push crappy commercials. Nobody really cares
    about Lost In Space. The movie tanked. what else is there?

3. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Billy Bob Thornton as Dr Smith. :D

4. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

so it will be a gritty drama with a murderess Dr Smith who tries to kill the family at every turn! or will it be a coming of age story with lots of teen angst ?
    either way it won't be worth watching !

5. Deesky

Yes, the movie was horrible, but I think the original premise of the TV show has potential if handled properly (which seems unlikely given the writers). As in the original, the ship should be limited in capability and the family should rely on their wits and cooperation to get by. The subversive element would be, of course, Dr Smith, to add conflict and alliances with potential enemies for personal gain. If they leave out the camp and 'magic' tech, it could work.

6. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Make the Robinson family real disfunctional and Dr Smith the devil's advocate. Make it Cape Fear in Space.

7. Mirrorblade.1

I enjoyed the black & white re-runs but everything went weird
    when color tv came about?

SandAndGlass likes this.
  8. Mirrorblade.1

Come , out, wherever? you .. are...

9. Deesky

I didn't realize there was a prior stab at a reboot, back in 2004 by the WB network, which obviously wasn't picked up. Can't say I'm surprised, it's pretty dreadful. Check it out here.

It's like watching a soapy like Brothers & Sisters but without Sally Field, Rachel Griffiths, Calista Flockhart or Rob Lowe, and with much worse dialog!

Michael likes this.
  10. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

It won't make a season...no interest...what ever happened to the Munsters TV remake?

klockwerk likes this.
  11. Michael

I loved it all the way to the last episode! it looked fabulous in color! the colors popped off the TV screen back then...loved those purple suits!

12. Michael

Jonathan Harris told me he was pleased with Gary Oldman's take on Dr. Smith...

SandAndGlass, Dennis Metz and alexpop like this.
  13. Michael

nothing...leave it alone!

14. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

God, let's just hope it's not as horrible as the 1998 movie written by Akiva Goldsman. Man, that thing was bad, bad, bad. I'd rather see the Carrot-head man than watch that thing again...

[​IMG]

There's actually been several Munsters TV remakes -- the 1988-1991 syndicated show, and the Mockingbird Lane pilot movie from 2012. Both were haaaaaaarible.

15. Michael

I saw the first one, but i thought it was announce there was going to be new series...I guess the pilot did not take off...
    Yes, Carrot man was pretty far out.

16. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

It it's everything the movie wasn't, it might be good.

17. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I thought the Mockingbird pilot was pretty interesting. At least it tried to be something different. The syndicated remake was haaaaaarible.

Michael likes this.
  18. Michael

I missed this...I was waiting for the series...never happened. Curiosity man...

19. Michael

yes, I watched this on youtube...agreed it was atrocious!

20. DesertChaos

DesertChaos Forum Resident

Can't these people just let some classic things be? The ratio of doing a good remake vs the original has got to be overwhelmingly against putting $ down yet somehow there always seems to be someone willing to waste there money (is it for tax write-off?).

Shawn and Vidiot like this.
  21. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

The innocent , the cute and the pain.
    Can't see them topping the original series.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2014
  22. Deesky

The logic is opposite to that. 'Classics' have a built it recognition factor and thus a built in audience, which reduced the risk of doing something completely new. Of course, I wish this wasn't so - think how many new 'franchises' could have sprung up like Raiders Of The Lost Ark, Terminator, Alien, Star Wars, as from yesteryear.

No, for tax writeoff purposes, they incorporate movies.

23. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

Again.....can't they leave anything alone? I sense another flaming turd on the horizon......

klockwerk likes this.
  24. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

A lot of times, they incorporate the production company so if anybody sues (as with an injury or a copyright problem), in theory it applies only to the production company and not the studio. But in big cases -- I'm thinking of the Twilight Zone deaths -- the studio usually gets dragged in anyway.

I do think it's a drag that too often studio execs can't come up with a new idea and have to do a "reboot" of an old idea, like Lost in Space. It's even worse in a case like this, where this was tried 15 years ago and done very badly. If they kept the same spirit of the old show, only with a better budget and modern VFX. But does the world really need a better Lost in Space?

lightbulb likes this.
  25. Remurmur

Remurmur Music is THE BEST! -FZ

They need to lock the writers in a room , make them watch the best Star Trek originals series and best Battle Star Galatica reboot episodes one after another, then tell them:

"Make the stories revolve around the Robinson family, but try to match the writing quality of these shows and remember....this is the kind of intelligent Sci Fi that will make people truly appreciate what we are trying to do here."

Then , play them the Lost In Space episode "The Great Vegetable Rebellion" and tell them "Do not anything even closely resembling this." :)

SandAndGlass and kevintomb like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.