Records that you have that were immediately withdrawn

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Larry Geller, Aug 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. McLover

McLover Senior Member

I have one, Jimmy C. Newman's "Future Farmers Of America". Offended many listeners and the FFA. Got pulled shortly after it hit the market. Tom T. Hall wrote the song. It's last line mentioning M.A.R.I.J.U.A.N.A is where the controversy hit the fan. 45 RPM only. Most survivors are promos.

2. slayerhatesusall

slayerhatesusall Well-Known Member

I have the Harry Nilsson ‎– Son Of Dracula Japanese cd from 1995, IIRC correctly it was removed from the market quickly after being released.

3. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

All on Sundazed: Ugly Ducklings LP and those Moby Grape LPs and CDs that got pulled.

4. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

First, unedited version of the S**t Spangled Banner LP that was released on one of Byron Colley's Father Yod sub-labels.

5. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam

I do have Michael Jackson's "Ben" in that ugly 'rat stampede' cover - but I've owned it twice now (and bought it cheaply both times), so I assume it was out a least a bit before being withdrawn.

I also have Twiztid's "Mostasteless" with the original Detroit tracklist, and with the withdrawn 'conjoined fetus' cover. Likewise, I have a Detroit edition of ICP's "Carnival Of Carnage" (with those two extra songs), and it's a misprint; whatever means they used to burn it missed most of the final song, which just stops.

Now, I don't have this anymore (I sold it for criminally less than it's worth), but I USED TO have a US "Sgt. Pepper" from a short run where 'Good Morning Good Morning' was an incorrect mix, with no horns and different animal noises in the ending.

6. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam

Oh yeah.... I also have a two-LP edition of the Beatles' "Alpha Omega Vol. I" in a rather bootleg-looking cover, with the cover image stamped (in pink and only pink) onto plain white. The seller claimed that was 'the original edition' pre-boxed set, but I'm not sure.

I have both boxed sets as well, both in rather lamentable edition sadly - but I see those used all the time, so I'm beyond considering them 'rare'. And they're always falling to pieces.

7. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

I have a 12" record of, Anarchy In The UK with the B side, I Wanna Be Me. Distributed by C.P.F/Barauay. I think it's made in France. Black & White cover.
    I've had this one since 1977.

8. Brian DeWitt

Brian DeWitt Senior Member

Traffic - Heaven Is In Your Mind

phillyal1 likes this.
  9. Easy-E

Easy-E Forum Resident

Also for Bob:

The HWY61 stereo with 1A matrices that has the alternate version of From A Buick 6

and (I dont think it was withdrawn as such but sold very few) the first press of Mixed Up Confusion

InStepWithTheStars likes this.
  10. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Chapel of Love single by The Dixie Cups with the bird pointing in the wrong direction.

11. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

That's the regular French 12" and was on sale with the 7" long after the EMI was deleted. In fact for many years the French pressing was the only way to get the single easily, it probably sold more copies in the UK than the EMI version.

12. NOS300B

NOS300B The Moon Queen

I'm not sure how long it was available before being withdrawn, but I have Happy Mondays' debut LP Squirrel and G-Man Twenty-four Hour Party People Plastic Face Carnt Smile White Out with "Desmond" which was later replaced with the single"Twenty Four Hour Party People" due to the fact that it borrowed heavily from The Beatles' "Obla-Di Obla Da" without permission.

13. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

As I recall this was released and I have a copy.

14. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

See here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Is_This_It#Promotion_and_release

A small number of finished CDs (i.e. not promotional copies) were circulated before 9/11, within the music industry, but the street date was put back after the attacks, so that the discs could be re-pressed, and the artwork reprinted, to replace "New York City Cops" with "When It Started". Previous stock was destroyed, and few of the original CDs made it into collectors' circles.

If you have a 2001 U.S. stock CD of Is This It with "New York City Cops" then you are extremely lucky; it certainly never had a commercial release.

15. rjp

rjp Senior Member

my mistake, sorry and thanks for the correction.

16. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

I HAD Negativland's "U2" CD single IN MY HAND.......... when, I noticed that there was only 2 songs on it, and Tower was charging 12 BUCKS for it...... I was outraged, and, instead.... bought "Nina Hagen Band/Nonsexmunkrock" instead.
    To quote the song, "How could I be such a fool"!

17. Remurmur

Remurmur Music is THE BEST! -FZ

I own the original Ramones -Leave Home LP that included the very soon to be removed Carbona Not Glue

Man at C&A likes this.
  18. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

I've got two of 'em: one to play and one that's sealed.

19. boggs

boggs Multichannel Machiavellian

How about Mike Oldfield's PLATINUM lp with the real 'SALLY' track on it.
    Even though current covers list the song as 'Sally', even the earliest releases play 'Into Wonderland' instead of 'Sally'.

20. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

Not sure how "immediate" that was. I've seen many, many more copies of the one with Flames over the years than the other.

I guess my best example would be Better Than Ezra's "Closer" fight with record label pulled it and it remained OOP until recently, shame as it's likely their best! A really great album!

[​IMG]

21. bibijeebies

bibijeebies vinyl hairline spotter

There is also a cd reissue from 1993 for French chain FNAC on their label FNAC Music with 12 tracks.
    https://www.discogs.com/The-Doobie-Brothers-Introducing-The-Doobie-Brothers/release/5963664
    What a pity this release is unheard by many, as it is not bad at all.

22. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I found this record from 1974 in a clearance bin a few weeks ago. Reportedly it was withdrawn shortly after release (my guess is that someone thought the cover was too similar to The Sting soundtrack) and reissued with a new cover with one song changed. It has a rocking version of the closing theme from side one of Tubular Bells.

[​IMG]

23. the sands

the sands Forum Resident

Paul McCartney - The McCartney Interview
    Prima Vera - Den 5te

24. fr in sc

fr in sc Forum Resident

This album I do not know of; details por favor?

25. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

If that was withdrawn, it wasn't before 1 million DJs exchanged their copies at the used record store for drug money.

InStepWithTheStars likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.