What are the top 10 sounding half speed masters?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by STBob, Oct 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. STBob

STBob Active Member Thread Starter

You sound like a suck up now.

2. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

I have no idea why your quoting me nor can I decipher your writing. I already gave an explanation. Perhaps the answers you seek are to be found elsewhere.

3. STBob

Who are you talking to? Who is quoting you?

4. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

I do, don't I? I don't like to admit being wrong, really, really don't! But when I am, why hide it? I, as most of us are, am only searching for the truth. I appreciate all who lead me to it. Don't you? Well, this only leaves me with my JPN Mastersound press of WYWH to state as my go to. I also have an original UK press for comparison that I have done a shoot out recently on. I realize where the differences are yet still prefer the 1/2 speed on that title, although I spin both.

Simon A likes this.
  5. dogpile

dogpile Generation X record spinner.

I was never a fan of MoFi 1/2 speed pressings.

I do enjoy the 1/2 speed Stan Ricker mastering of The Black Keys Attack & Release.

6. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

Cool, did not know he did that. I find that one, one of the weaker releases.......go figure! Just checked, sure enough it has an "SR". Did not realize he was still in the biz at that time!

7. hazard

hazard Forum Resident

I love Stan Ricker"s mastering on ELO out of the blue. Is that half speed mastered? Dead wax includes SR/2 so I guess that it is half speed even though it is not marketed as such.

I also value the Canadium A&M supertramp pressings - Crime, Crisis, Quietest Moment. I consider them some of my best sounding records.

I also have a complete set of MFSL Beatles. I don't mind then, though I am gradually getting original UKs.

I also listen to my new Beatles mono box in stereo. So what would I know.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2014
  8. Jimbo912

Jimbo912 Forum Resident

The Speakers Corner version of Crime Of The Century is darn good

9. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

I have Led Zeppelin II and The Beatles White Album half speed from the early 80's, they sound real good. There's more bass on the Zep II then my original vinyl.
    The White album beats out the original pressing. I do have a newer half speed pressing of John Lennon's Plastic Ono Band, I think this one came out in the 2000'a.
    It does have to much highs, the original pressing is much better, not as good as those early 80's pressings.

10. TLMusic

TLMusic Musician & record collector

I am under the impression that is not a half-speed mastering.

marcb and john lennonist like this.
  11. STBob

I'll have to try to find a copy of that LedZeppelin II. In theory if done correctly they should be better.
    Another nice thing about 1/2 speeds is they hold their value. The three record stores near me always have a premium price on any 1/2 speed.

12. Partyslammer

Partyslammer Lord Of The New Church

The MFSL LZ 2 vinyl has the muffled bass most noticeable at the beginning of "Bring It On Home." I forget it at the moment, but isn't there a pretty bad story how the source tape used for that release got damaged in a hot car or something?

13. STBob

I did read a review about the MFSL new release, a guy said they compressed the sound vs the old one. He said his old Classic Records 200 gram vinyl release of this album (SD8236) was the best sounding of the two by far.

14. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Most of the original MFSL 1/2 speed masters I have heard I found disappointing but their Trick Of The Tale is one of the best versions out there. Some of the Anadisc 200 MFSL and the majority of the current 180 grm MFSL are pretty good to great. These certainly don't suffer the problems of earlier half speed records. The main downside on a few titles has been a very low cutting level meaning volume has to be turned way up. The recent Genesis 76-82 box set is half speed mastered and again these don't suffer the typical problems that SH highlights to my ears. Whether people like the remixing is another problem but overall quite impressed with these. I think the problem is a lot of 1/2 speed were just plainly badly mastered or from inferior sources just like a lot of regular LPs are.

Tommyboy likes this.
  15. STBob

Usually when i have to turn it up more is due to a wider dynamic range which i prefer. Most cds and some records have that compressed range which is louder but seems more in your face and distorts faster.

16. dogpile

17. dogpile

We sure dissected the OP initial thread :shake:
    Having said that, for comparitve reasons, the Ziggy Stardust MFSL (IMO) just sounds too polite vs. original UK and the recent 2012 reissue.

Is it possible that 1/2 speed MFSL Japan pressings are cut intentionally to sound this way?

18. Stefano G.

Stefano G. Ab alto, speres alteri quod feceris.

Despite all the technical details that someone has already listed here and someone else will list, the sound quality of a CD/record/cassette etc. mainly depends on the mood of the listener.

This is definitely not a technical or audiophile answer, but so it is...

19. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

1. Grover Washington: Winelight - Nautilus
    2. Earl Klugh: Crazy for You - Nautilus
    3. Cat Stevens: Tea For the Tillerman - MFSL
    4. The Bee Gees: Spirits Having Flown - Nautilus
    5. Quincy Jones: The Dude - Nautilus
    6. Chicago Transit Authority - MFSL
    7. The Moody Blues: On The Threshold of a Dream - Nautilus
    8. Herb Alpert: Rise - MFSL
    9. Earl klugh: Late Night Guitar - MFSL
    10. John Lennon/Yoko Ono: Double Fantasy - Nautilus

20. thestereofan

thestereofan Senior Member

Poco - Legend
    Klemmer - Touch

honestabe316 likes this.
  21. PostalBlowfish75

PostalBlowfish75 Forum Resident

Beck - Sea Change

22. katstep

katstep Professional Cat Herder

I love all the suggestions that say title (A) sounds best, but as compared to what? I hate to be the grumpy old man, but see my tag line.

marcb and Slick Willie like this.
  23. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

Steve seems to disagree, but I find a lot of warmth on the Steely Dan Aja MFSL lp, esp compared to the Cisco. Maybe my set up isn't as outrageous as his or others here, but it works quite well on my modest system.

24. katstep

katstep Professional Cat Herder

Wow, really? It must be system dependent, as I got my hands on a clean Aja MFSL, and it was positively shrill compared to the Cisco. All top end. Props to you for actually comparing it to the Cisco!

25. mknappe

mknappe Well-Known Member

Whatever speed it was cut at, I sure hear lot's of midband magic on the UHQR Crime of the Century. You can almost hear what color of paint was on the wall in the room they did the vocals in.

iloveguitars likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.