Bob Dylan - Bootleg Series Vol. XII "The Cutting Edge"*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Abbey Road, Oct 16, 2014.

1. Abbey Road

Abbey Road Well-Known Member Thread Starter

So we've gone from the Bootleg Series no one thought they wanted (but most wound up loving) to the Bootleg Series we all wanted but some of us never thought we'd see.

What would you want to see in Volume 12? Personally, I'd love to see something that documents the Never Ending Tour, maybe something like a "Live: 1994-2014."

Dylan is probably the only artist out there whose "Bootleg Series" are immediately canon. Incredible.

2. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Complete Blood on the Tracks. But they'd never do that on the heels of the Basement Tapes. Maybe 14?

3. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

"How can I answer that if you have the nerve to ask me?"

Seriously, though, I need to get the upcoming one and properly digest it before I can think about the next one. And I'll be happy with any of the ideas that have been mentioned as being worked on.

warewolf95, Matt Ellers and Mooserfan like this.
  4. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

1966 Tour Films Blu-ray/DVD.
    Complete concert (acoustic/electric) assembled from available footage,
    plus Eat The Document & Something Is Happening + outtakes.

^ Totally possible, since a year ago I'd have bet Basements would never be released!

5. Tim Wilson

Tim Wilson Forum Resident

Agreed COMPLETELY re: canon. My list of all-time favorite Dylan albums now includes Tell Tale Signs at the very least. I know others here have mentioned the renovated Self Portrait, which I won't argue with either.

20 years feels like too long a span. The Supper Club tapes from 1993 were professionally recorded, and are stunning. YouTube has a bunch of clips. That'd make a great box. I can think of other years that deserve their own live boxes, especially 2002 for my money. I do think Bob is a criminally underrated bandleader, though, and his latter day bands are ace.

There were quotes in the first Basement Tapes announcements that BOTT was in fact what the were thinking of. Check part 1 of that thread-stravaganza.

I'd rather see more from 1965-66, basically the 60s Big Three for me: Bringing It All Back Home, Highway 61 Revisited and Blonde on Blonde. As has been firmly established, I'm not being some revisionist hipster to say that the stuff that's been circulating over the years is in some ways more compelling than some of what's been released. Being reasonable here. Not like Self-Portrait or something, but no kidding: a revelation.

Heck, the Newport shows from 64 and 65 have circulated. I'd love clean versions of those -- not just the main stage, but the workshops. (He started alienating affections when he introduced Mr Tambourine Man at the TOPICAL songwriting workshop. People generally liked it, but were steamed that it wasn't even vaguely topical. It felt insulting to them, and it was surely meant to be. GREAT performance though.)

So that's it for me, in order: BOTT, 65-66, 93 Supper Club, 2002 NET, and Newport. Any of those would be a thrill.

6. serge

serge Forum Resident

I don't know that they will have the balls to ever do the Never Ending Tour Live bootleg series......I'd love for them to do something out of left field.. like 1996-1999 live "Jam" Bob....after Jerry passed on some nights he'd play three Dead songs! I loved those shows were Bob still played guitar and would really go for those two note solos AND Larry Campbell was in the band...BUT I think it would have limited appeal...

warewolf95, majorlance and Tim Wilson like this.
  7. George P

George P Notable Member

Newport 1965, complete (with no compression, please)

8. Abbey Road

Between Biograph and Bootleg Series 1-3, how many takes are still unissued? Not that many, me thinks. I think so much (of the best stuff) has come out already, that it would be an injustice to release as a bootleg series volume, and would be better treated as a stand-alone BOTT Deluxe.

bonus, majorlance and dino77 like this.
  9. jimjim

jimjim Forum Resident

Vol.12: Dylan in the 80s?

alchemy, JRM, ZoomBob and 2 others like this.
  10. serge

serge Forum Resident

Rough Cuts is pretty awesome in it of itself.....

I'd also love to see a born again live release....those concerts were something...

11. jsb!

jsb! Forum Resident

Gospel Years live box, for me.

Alternatively the Supper Club stuff.

(I agree that the mooted Blood on the Tracks stuff might be delayed by this one's focus.)

And as much as I'd love something official from the last decade or so of concerts, I don't know how they do that at this stage. Seems like no choice is good - one complete show would be underwhelming, a fake show assembled from multiple would leave nobody happy, and a massive box of one show from each year or something would be completely implausible. What I'd actually like at this point would just be a standard, non-Bootleg Series, live release of a show from the last year or so. That'd be nice. He hasn't done a 'proper' (ie, recent) live album since Unplugged (if you count that) or Real Live. A far cry from the glory days of the late 1970s to '80s, wherein a baffling live disc would come every couple of years at most...

12. Shem the Penman

Shem the Penman Forum Resident

Born Again. 78-83. Three discs of outtakes/alternates, two disc live show.

13. #OneOccupation

#OneOccupation Well-Known Member

I would love a live show from 1999-2000 when Bob was co-headlining
    with Phil Lesh

14. John Rhett Thomas

John Rhett Thomas Forum Resident

It has been a while since we've had a straight-up live release. My #1 choice for that would be Toronto 1980. But I'll take anything: 1974, 1976, 1978, 1984, 1986; of course, the Never Ending Tour would be miraculous, as would some sort of new way of looking at the 1966 tour.

I think it'll be Blood on the Tracks, though.

joshm2286 likes this.
  15. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Here's the quote from the Rolling Stone article that announced the Basement Tapes set:

Now that the Basement Tapes are finally being released, the Dylan camp is considering its next archival project. "We're thinking we'll revisit the 1975 era and Blood on the Tracks," says the source. "The unheard stuff from there is crazy. You can hear the first day of recordings before they put all that echo on. It's amazing."

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/n...legs-released-november-20140826#ixzz3GMYkNjOS

16. Moth

Moth fluttering by

This thread seems a bit early, considering 11 hasn't even been released yet.
    That said, my holy grail is the Blonde on Blonde sessions. I doubt that's how they would follow up BS 11, though.

17. HominyRhodes

HominyRhodes Forum Resident

That would a superb choice, except for Like A Rolling Stone, which is kind of stumbly, since it was brand new at that time, and proved to be a little too tricky for the rhythm section. But Maggie's Farm...Phantom Engineer/It Takes A Lot To Laugh...Tambourine Man and It's All Over Now, Baby Blue (probably my favorite version ever) would be nice to have in perfect quality (with no compression, of course). And I wouldn't squawk if Rolling Stone was included -- this was, after all, an important event, even if Bob didn't realize he was playing a million-dollar Fender that night.

I have to believe that Blood On The Tracks will be the next box set release. After that, who knows? It seems that the last two Bootleg Series editions were issued after certain tapes came to light that had been misplaced or lost for many years (Another Self Portrait and The Complete Basement Tapes). So something out of left field may be coming at us circa 2015-16, after BOTT: live shows from 1974, or 1978, or 1980-81, Rundown Studios recordings, 1992 Dylan-Bromberg sessions, Infidels sessions, live NET, live Supper Club, Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid sessions, Blonde on Blonde sessions???

Only the man in the long black coat knows for sure. And Jeff Rosen.

joshm2286 and Dave Hoos like this.
  18. George P

George P Notable Member

And don't forget the daytime acoustic stuff. :agree:

Why it came out on DVD, but not CD, I'll never know.

HominyRhodes likes this.
  19. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

I trust you've read this (*drool*):

http://theband.hiof.no/articles/mystic_nights_tmobob.html

(For folks who don't care to follow the link, it's an article by Sean Wilentz that details the BoB sessions in forensic detail, after he was allowed to listen to the archive of sessions tapes. It was later adapted into a chapter for his book Bob Dylan In America.)

Last edited: Oct 16, 2014
    JimD, Solaris, belardd and 1 other person like this.
  20. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Supper Club was very close to being released as BS9, only to lose out to the Witmark Demos. Have to imagine it's still in the running, and probably the most likely avenue for them to spotlight the NET.

bonus, coniferouspine and majorlance like this.
  21. HominyRhodes

HominyRhodes Forum Resident

Let me be the first to step forward and volunteer to act as the SH Forum representative to listen to that same archive of session tapes. I promise I'll tell you all how they sounded. (It sure is nice to have the proper academic credentials when an opportunity like that comes along.)

Maranatha5585 and DeeThomaz like this.
  22. Moth

Moth fluttering by

23. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

You'll need an assistant. *cough*

HominyRhodes likes this.
  24. Abbey Road

I agree, Supper Club would also be awesome. Even my lossless copy has sporadic glitches, which I confirmed are in the source. :(

25. jimsumner

jimsumner Senior Member

You only like the even-numbered years? :)