Star Trek Continues (the series)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by JRM, Oct 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JRM

JRM Forum Resident Thread Starter

Any fans of this Web series? There have only been three episodes so far, but I'm shocked at how well done this is. It really looks and feels like TOS. Lighting, camera angles, props, dialog are all spot-on IMO. They are working on a fourth episode for release in 2015, and are launching a Kickstarter to do even more. Can't wait for more of these!!!

They also bring back original characters and continue plot lines from TOS, like what happened to Kirk on the "Mirror, Mirror" episode.

http://www.startrekcontinues.com/episodes/#.VEMUQ52COrU

Also, Chris Doohan, son of James Doohan, plays Scotty...

2. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I think it's terrific. Well done. I contributed to the Kickstarter for the last two. Wish I could appear in an episode.

JRM likes this.
  3. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Yes, the sets, lighting, audio, props are all first rate. However, the characterizations apart from Kirk (who is excellent both in looks & mannerisms), and maybe Scotty, are less than impressive. There's some very poor acting techniques on exhibit, particularly from Grant Imahara and the scripts & dialog are variable, sometimes good, but often poor.

Having said that, overall, I think it's the best fan remake out there (and there are a few).

sunspot42 and JRM like this.
  4. JRM

Yes, I think Grant Imahara is the weak link in the cast. I think Todd Haberkorn as Spock improved over the three episodes, but that may be partly because I like the third episode, Fairest of Them All, the best. And I agree that Vic Mignogna (who is also Executive Producer) makes an excellent Kirk.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2014
  5. DreadPikathulhu

I agree that Grant is the worst member of the cast. They need someone that is a little more gung-ho and ebullient. Other than that, Paramount ought to start funding the series and making it more available.

Spencer R likes this.
  6. Royce

Royce Senior Member

I just finished watching "Lolani", and I have to say, as an original Star Trek fan, this is one of the neatest things I've ever seen. I can't believe what a good job they've done recreating the 60's lighting, color and camera angles. Captain Kirk is really good. They've done such a good job of recreating everything that there's a certain weirdness I'm getting watching it where it seems odd that the voices are different. I hope this series continues, so the actors can become more confident in their roles. With some time to grow and improve, this concept could really be something. It's already off to a good start. Thanks for starting this thread and bringing this to my attention! :)

7. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

This has been done before with Star Trek: New Voyages or Star Trek: Phase II. I don't know if it's any better of worse than Star Trek Continues as I haven't seen any of them. Star Trek: Phase II had guest appearances from original cast members George Takei and Walter Koenig.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek:_Phase_II_(fan_series)#Episodes

Star Trek: Phase II-World Enough and Time with George Takei.

8. JRM

That is far from the look Star Trek Continues is going for.

9. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

Good grief, those sets are amazing. Thanks for the heads up.

10. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

My only question is why does Captain Kirk have to sound like Ferris Bueller?

sunspot42 and Vidiot like this.
  11. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Yes, that's the only chink in his armor - compared to the Shat, he sounds a bit whiny/nasally. I guess he's got a higher register, but he put so much effort in everything else, he should at least try to speak in a slightly lower voice.

melstapler and Jerry Horne like this.
  12. Royce

Royce Senior Member

The voices are the main thing I'm having trouble with at the moment too. I do understand that the actors are in a hell of a position on this though. William Shatner and Leonard Nimoy have such resonant voices, each with a unique delivery, that they have both been called upon for a lot of narration/voice-over work through the years, where I can't see that happening with these actors. No matter though, this web series is already my favorite amongst all of the other versions of Star Trek after the original TV series.

13. DreadPikathulhu

The sets are amazing. Many of the extras were Kickstarter funders, and it must be wild to step into something so accurate.

JRM likes this.
  14. JRM

I think because everything else is so well-done that the voices stand out as less authentic. Plus, as Royce mentioned above, Shatner and Nemoy have such recognizable voices, they are big shoes to fill.

But, regarding other audio, I think they nailed it. Sound effects are perfect. The background music is also exactly right, they use the right themes in the right spot.

Royce likes this.
  15. DragonQ

DragonQ Forum Resident

Heh, never heard of this before. Seems like a very cool project. Wish they didn't opt for 4:3 though...the lighting, style, writing etc. are all artistic choices, whereas TOS being 4:3 was only because it was the norm. Why not use 16:9 now?

16. Actually they look quite similar in their attempt to recreate the look/feel of the original series.

17. DreadPikathulhu

I'm sure there'd be complaints if they did it in 16:9. It would be interesting to see, though.

18. JRM

Similar in look. The music and the special effects don't sound or look as much like TOS as STC does...

19. Royce

Royce Senior Member

Right on JRM!
    You just managed to put my feelings about this into words better than I was able to. :)

Jerry Horne likes this.
  20. JRM

Agree, it would be almost surreal to walk through this set!

21. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Because they're going for a faithful recreation, and indeed, a continuation from where the original series left off. The 4:3 aspect ratio is definitely a part of that aesthetic.

Really? They sounded pretty faithful to me. Can you expand?

22. JRM

Music - The music in Phase II isn't TOS music, right from the beginning at minute 1. Phase II went with music that sounds more like a movie soundtrack and is not authentic TOS.

Special Effects - Back view of the Enterprise doesn't look TOS. Some "energy field" effects don't look TOS. The screen next to the bed in sick bay does not look TOS. The photon torpedo look and sound is different from TOS.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Phase II is not Star Trek Continues.

24. JRM

Yes, I am well aware of that, that was the point of my post. wayneklein stated above they both "look quite similar in their attempt to recreate the look/feel of the original series." I replied that the PII music and special effects were not always like TOS. You asked for examples of that, they are above.

25. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Ah, apologies. I had not carefully read the context of your reply.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.