Advice: Pioneer Andrew Jones SP-BS21-LR vs SP-BS22-LR speakers

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Tim S, Oct 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member Thread Starter

SP-BS21-LR vs Pioneer SP-BS22-LR

I'm poor, but found myself with some unexpected money coming my way. I like all my components a lot, but right now I don't have room for my huge ADS speakers and I'm making do with some alesis nearfield monitors as main listening - which aren't bad at all, but I'd like to try out one of these pioneer Andrew Jones models.

The price is close enough where either would be affordable, so I'd like some opinions on which of these are preferred. I don't need tremendous volume at all. This is for a smallish room with some very basic treatments. What I like most in a speaker is balance and a silky top end.

I'll be listening to about any kind of music you can imagine.

If it matters, I will be playing mostly ripped flac files from a Schiit modi hooked up to either a Kyocera A-710 integrated amp (75w x 2) or a Kyocera r-461 receiver (40w x 2).

Eventually I will also hook up a kyocera PL 601 turntable with Stanton 681 (saving up for the Jico replacement stylus).

All opinions appreciated!

2. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

I have lived with the SP-BS21-LR's for a few months, and just last week picked up a pair of SP-BS22-LR's (currently on sale at Best Buy - I think I paid $99?). I liked the 21's a lot, but the 22's are substantially better - and mine aren't even broken in yet! For the record, I am powering them with a Yamaha CR-1020 (75 wpc).

I am hearing a lot more extension at the top and bottom, and greatly improved detail and imaging depth. The 21's have a slightly dark character, while the 22's are more airy. The small boxes produce more quality bass than one would expect.

Incidentally, I also had a pair of the SP-FS21-LR floorstanders, and the SP-BS22-LR's are superior to those as well. (I do not like the matching subwoofer, however.)

The Andrew Jones Pioneers are one of the best bargains in audio today.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2014
    SinnerSaint and Rockos like this.
  3. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

I have the SP-BS21-LR's and I think they sound great. But, based on everything that I've seen posted by people who have heard both, I would not hesitate to get the SP-BS22-LR's.

4. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member Thread Starter

Thanks guys! Exactly what I was looking for.

5. Patrick

Patrick Senior Member

There have been several threads, here is a long one on the first series including the 21's :

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...iller-bookshelf-speakers-from-pioneer.229040/

Andrew Jones stated somewhere in there that he thought the SP-C21 center channel was the biggest bargain of that series.
    I bought five of them for my 5.1 system. Yes 5 center channels.....
    I have not heard the new version (SP-C22 center) but notice it does use smaller woofers, don't know if that happened with BS 21 vs. 22 as well, but food for thought.
    I was under the impression the 22 series was downsized to cut costs compared to the 21's ?

6. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

I have three C21s and if I didn't already have two C41s for surrounds I'd have gotten two more C21s. As it is, I love having the sound match up as it pans across the front speakers. The only way you can get that is if they're identical.

SinnerSaint likes this.
  7. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

I have two pairs of the 22s and heartily recommend them. I scored my second set here on the forum with the Dennis Murphy modifications which five added realism to vocals, but have no issues with the standard product. IMO, do not worry about bass, the 22s are very strong in that area, you just need to position them away from the walls at least 18" or more as they have rear during bass ports. They do have a break in period before their true sound is revealed, expect it to take 20+ hours, when it happens you'll know. Buy them and enjoy!

SinnerSaint and bluemooze like this.
  8. action pact

No, the cabinets of the 21 bookshelves are identical to the 22 bookshelves, and the 22 floorstanders are taller than the 21. The current series is an upgrade.

Bass performance is very good - I believe they go down to 40k? I paired mine with an similarly inexpensive Dayton Audio powered sub from Parts Express, and the combination is shockingly good, and it all cost less than $250!

9. PearlJamNoCode

PearlJamNoCode Forum Resident

Would these speakers (the 22s) be a good match with my new Yamaha A-S500BL amp?

10. Your model numbers aren't quite right.

The original series had the 21 Bookshelf, 41 Bookshelf (bigger woofer), C21 center, and 51 floor stander.

The new x2 series drops the larger of the two bookshelf speakers. There no longer is a large bookshelf.

The 22 bookshelf is the new version of the 21 bookshelf.

11. action pact

Oops, I meant the 52 floorstander is taller than the 51!

12. Trapper J

Trapper J Senior Member

I need something that would not only play music, but also use as my front left and right in my home theater set up. Would these be good for that purpose?

13. DigMyGroove

I moved my Pioneers out of my stereo system some time ago for a major upgrade, but now use them for home theater and they're really good there too. In fact just today I took delivery of the matching Center Channel which Amazon had on sale for $67. In fact they were blowing out the whole surround system for under $400 last weekend, but now it's back to $549 for all. The only item I don't own is the subwoofer which is the only speaker component in the set I've read some negative reviews on.

Here's an article on them from theWirecutter.com, the Pioneers are their pick for a budget surround system:
    http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-budget-surround-sound-speaker-system/

Trapper J likes this.
  14. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

You might want to just double check what actives there are in your price range too. KRK, Yamaha, etc, might have something that would suit.

Trapper J likes this.
  15. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Trapper J likes this.
  16. Eric B.

Eric B. Active Member

Great for the price, as fronts you might need a sub for music, but great for movies.

17. DigMyGroove

I found no need for a Sub, but am curious to hear them with one. The Sub is the only part of the system that I'm put off buying due to people's comments on Amazon.

18. Eric B.

Eric B. Active Member

I actually didn't like the pioneer matching sub either, its down firing, so I use a cheap sony front firing front ported sub. You really don't NEED a sub with these speakers.

19. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

Lots of problems with that review. The first is his attempt at using them as near field desk top speakers, they are not. He does briefly mention at the end that they perform better as regular monitors, which is what they are. Another is the junk he has them sitting on, which is absurd.

With the way he has them set up that should not surprise anyone. They are too close together, the right speaker is jammed against the side wall and appears to be pretty close the rear corner, which is never good for a rear ported speaker. Therefore, his measurements are absolutely worthless.

It's not a poly, it's a mylar. Big difference.

That said, I picked up a pair of these on a lark. They sounded like budget speakers. I then performed the Dennis Murphy mods, which I turned up a few notches into a full blown mod. They sound much better now, but no one will mistake them for Joesph Audio Pulsars.

Eric B. likes this.
  20. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Now Andrew Jones has moved to ELAC, releasing a bunch of stuff that should be good.

21. Eric B.

Eric B. Active Member

The ELAC speakers seem to me the same speakers without the curved cabinets.

22. BeauZooka

BeauZooka Forum Resident

Andrew Jones claims they are a new design from the ground up. I would imagine that Pioneer would not allow a straight copy to market.
    The reviews of the B5 from the Newport audio show seem to indicate that the Elac's will be quite a step up from the Pioneer's.

23. Eric B.

Eric B. Active Member

Thats what they ALWAYS say isn't it? Marketing :tiphat:

24. action pact

You mean "new" isn't always "better?" :)

Eric B. likes this.
  25. BeauZooka

BeauZooka Forum Resident

The ELAC B5 & B6 are out on Oct. 1st, so we should be getting more opinions and reviews of them soon.
    Hopefully some good head to head comparisons with the BS-22's will occur too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.