Un-Grateful Thread - What Are You Listening to Instead of the Dead?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tom H, Sep 24, 2014.

1. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Are there still the edits?!

2. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

"cornhole." Okay, I'll take a chance .... what's "cornhole?"

3. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

Pat Metheny Unity cd leading up to his concert on the 23rd.

4. superstar19

superstar19 Authentic By Nature

I believe so based on what resident leeds expert lukpac said on the dedicated thread. I know he mentioned though that with this release he is flying in the missing soundboard sources to the new hi-res files to form his complete show rather than vice versa. Lukpac has endorsed this edition so that's good enough for me!

5. originalsnuffy

originalsnuffy Socially distant and unstuck in time

It would appear that the short covers during the longer songs are still missing on Leeds

6. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Cornhole is a lawn game where two players alternately toss bean bags (underhand, typically) toward a slanted platform with a hole in it. 1 point for landing on the platform, 3 for going through the whole. You can also knock the opponents bag off the platform, negating their points.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornhole

Fullbug likes this.
  7. rockinlazys

rockinlazys Forum Resident

Great game. You are having to much fun in your wonderful and over looked town of residence (or hometown?). I have never posted on this thread because I do not listen to The GD that often. I must say that has been changing in the past number of months thanks to you folks. Any how on the play list for today. Chili Willi & the Red Hot Peppers in "Bongos over Balham" (great pub rock with on hell of a line up), The Teardrop Explodes "Kilimanjaro", Merle Travis & Joe Maphis " Country Guitar Giants" , The Reggie Workman Ensemble "Altered Spaces" (an expansive piece of protest music!) and finally 12/28/83 ( great "electric" Stranger )...

8. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Town of residence, since '95 (except for a brief Novato interlude). You're in the East Bay, too, if I recall correctly, so I'll mention that the Lost and Found beer garden (new place behind the Paramount Theater) has a cornhole setup, as well as a ping pong table. Fun place. I'll need to check out some of the music you mentioned.

9. rockinlazys

rockinlazys Forum Resident

Left Berkeley/Oakland to trek up north around 2000. Bodega Bay then many years in Yreka. Now back East in Little Rhodie near the place of my first JGB show and my wife's first GD show Providence '79. I am wondering if Peter Apfelbaum & The Hieroglyphics are still gigging? Used to work with a few of the guys in the band and had a blast hanging in their practice space. Then the curse of opening for the BOYS on New Years! Aw, The Oakland Rose Garden,The Oakland Museum( used to people there before shows at The Oak. Aud/ Kaiser), the food and the mix of humans!

PS, Sorry folks now I will get back on track. Thinking about spinning Lester Bowie's Brass Fantasy "Serious Fun" (Saw them in Oakland at some now defunct venue).

10. JRM

JRM Forum Resident

Now listening to Wha'ppen? - this has always been my favorite EB album. This 4 CD set is $18 at cdImports...great deal, they sound great plus bonus disc of alternate takes etc...

[​IMG]

wavethatflag and notesofachord like this.
  11. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

12. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

The 27-disc Starless boxed set arrived today. So, until Hofheinz '72 shows up, I've got plenty of new KC to listen to (well, not all of it is new).

13. Terry

Terry Senior Member

Played the HD versions of Woodstock 1&2

14. JRM

JRM Forum Resident

I'd give all three albums a solid 'A' - always wish they had a bigger discography.

(BTW, that $18 is buying it from importCDs through Amazon, it is more $ if buying directly from importCDs website)

Crispy Rob likes this.
  15. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Thanks again, I pulled the trigger on that deal. Got a long, long queue of non-GD to listen to after I finish a first listen to the Basement Tapes, will add this to it. (Listening to the Spring '90 GD tour in its entirety plus the new GarciaLive and DaP 12 really added to the length of that queue). Also in the listening queue on top of the stereo cabinet: Rory Gallagher's Irish Tour '74 2-CD deluxe version, a David Murray Octet clamshell box, a bit of Phish, the latest St. Vincent, and the new Neil Young (about which I'm skeptical, but I'm a Neil completist, so his releases are automatic purchases).

16. JRM

JRM Forum Resident

Good deal...can't go wrong at that price for those classic albums.

Funny you mention Basement Tapes, I just put in disc 3... that's as far as I've got...more than 20 tracks on all 6 discs is a lot all at once. GarciaLive and DaP12 also competing for listening time!

17. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

Dipping my toes into the Holiday music pool this evening. . .

[​IMG]

18. brew ziggins

brew ziggins Forum Prisoner

Might I inquire, what's this Murray Octet clamshell thing?

19. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

The Complete Remastered Recordings on Black Saint and Soul Note: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004VFYPBA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have the first volume (5 albums), linked above, but there is also a second volume that I will probably get around to at some point, after I've digested the huge amount of stuff I've been picking up lately.

I did not have prior releases of any of these albums, so can't compare sound. I've listened to Ming and soundwise it seemed fine, and I really enjoyed it musically. Looking forward to checking out the rest. I remember hearing the DMO at a friend's apartment more than 20 years ago (his roommate was telling us how much he liked Murray's stuff and played some for us), and I'd been meaning to pick some of his work up, but had never gotten around to it. Coincidentally enough, that was shortly before Murray guested with the Grateful Dead at MSG '93, and so I was probably one of the very few people in attendance who knew who he was that night.

20. jlevine31

jlevine31 Forum Resident

Some of the multi track widespread panic archive releases, right now 7/28/01, all 3 shows of the run are great

21. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

The (English) Beat is an awesome band!

JRM likes this.
  22. Scopitone

[​IMG]

:p

Erik B., Tom H and notesofachord like this.
  23. zenarus

zenarus Forum Resident

The Basement Tapes ....All 6 disc's most of the time.
    With The Endless River now & then..

24. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

That's pretty much me in the summertime.

Summertime is Grateful Dead-time. During the other seasons a lot of other music gets listened to.

Scopitone likes this.
  25. Scopitone

Between Dead tunes the last two days, I have been playing Merle Haggard (genius), the new Marianne Faithful (delicious music), and some Dootone doowop (makes me smile).

Ironically, as I type this, Merle is singing "Mama Tried" on a live album. So I guess I am kinda cheating. LOL

Oh, and at the gym: The Dictators Live in New York, as well as pop tunes from The Sounds and Alvvays.