Syfy's 'Z Nation' TV Series

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AVTechMan, Nov 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AVTechMan

AVTechMan Forum Resident Thread Starter

Has anyone seen this series? I think the zombie genre is getting really worn with all the zombie movies and tv shows. I haven't paid much attention to 'Z Nation' but after watching a few eps earlier today it doesn't seem that bad. Seems to have a bit more humorous moments compared to WD.

Any thoughts on this show?

2. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

A kind of lower budget and slightly more humourous take on the genre than "Walking Dead", they apparently have the whole run mapped out, hence the brisk pace, they are also going through cast members at a pretty alarming rate, not in the same league as "Walking Dead", but as a big fan of all things zombie apocalypse I enjoy it for what it is.

rebellovw likes this.
  3. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I would never utter the words zombies and not that bad in the same sentence! :D

4. I've enjoyed it so far, although it's not without its faults. It's certainly not as ponderous as The Walking Dead so in that way it's a bit of fresh air.

The death of a main character was a surprise that I appreciated.

5. AVTechMan

AVTechMan Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yep, the interesting is with this series so far is that they make humor out of certain ways the zombies bite the dust. At least its not constantly walking in the woods and they have a character in tow that actually may be useful to the group. Guess time will tell!

6. Scott222C

Scott222C Loner, Rebel & Family Man

I am currently watching episode 7 and it just gets better and better ........... the cast developed a great chemistry, story not too cliche so far and the occasional humor ist great - this is a winner in my book.

7. You've never seen The Walking Dead then. A well written, cast and directed show.

alexpop likes this.
  8. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

This series is much better than I thought it would be....but I mostly fast-forwarded
    through last week's `groundhog day' episode.

9. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Absolutely not! I despise the genre.

10. Dip your toe in. This isn't like MOST of the genre...it's honestly the only show I watch with a Z theme.

11. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Nah, I simply will not watch anything zombie/vampire/hobbit/wizard/sorcerer/religion related. I have a deep seated aversion to all of those genres.

12. Scott222C

And I could have sworn you posted multiple times in threads involving exactly these genres and so I got the impression you were interested ................

13. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Not really. Sometimes I'm bored, sometimes I want to see if other people feel as I do, sometimes I'm interested in what certain posters have to say.

14. balzac

balzac Senior Member

I’m a fan of “The Walking Dead”; watch it every week and own all the blu-ray sets. But even I would never suggest it is a consistently well-written show, or that it is a wholly well-made show. The cast has been nearly uniformly good, and occasionally very good. I can’t fault the direction much specifically.

But the writing can be very uneven, and I still contend the special effects on the show (which some seem to relish) are pretty awful. The practical effects are usually good (notwithstanding the questionable plausibility, even within the “Dead” universe, of the zombies being able hold themselves upright and appear to have strength even though their torsos and skulls are depicted as having the consistency of cream cheese), but the CGI guts and splatters are awful, as are much of the rest of the CGI work.

The producers continue to put awful, repetitive “zombie kill” fight scenes to play to the audience. I wish they’d get back to stuff in the style of the CDC stuff from the first season, which had a cool “Lost/Dharma” sort of vibe.

The show is a good one, it just isn’t quite a definitively excellent show, and certainly doesn’t have an intricate plot structure to warrant an hour-long talk show (which I also watch and generally enjoy enough) devoted to *every* episode.

I can’t imagine watching something less serious and more loosy-goosy than “The Walking Dead.” But I’m definitely not a fan of the “comedy horror” genre, with perhaps a few exceptions.

alexpop likes this.
  15. I never suggested the series was flawless. I would agree with many of your points on the show but not all of them. I feel its a well made show especially if you look at everything around it. For a TV show its remained remarkably consistent and focuses on the human drama much more thn the zombies.

I wouldn't claim it is consistently well written but, generally, it is. There is quoted bit (pardon the pun) of pandering to the audence with zombie fights and kills, etc. but I tune in for the characters (which are well developed even if the episodes are a tad inconsistent). The show could easily have fallen into the same plot every week when it comes to character interaction, etc. but has, for the most part, avoided that pitfall.

While each season has been good it goes on too long-- the show would benefit from paring down the amount of episodes per season. I believe the cast has been more than good-they've been exceptional. The first season is still the best IMHO. I also think the latest season has been pretty strong as well over all. There's only so much you can do with a post apocalyptic plot and revisiting the CDC style stuff could get as Boring as well. A series like this stands or falls by how compelling the characters are and the journey they take emotionally not based so much on CGI (I don't have a problem with how the kills are portrayed--it's a fantasy show and it stays in touch with its comic book roots as well in ow it sows things).

The show isn't a gritty documentary styled series even if the look IS gritty.

For a series that deals with the zombies, a world wide Apocalpyse, etc. this show does a good job of putting it altogether into an entertaining and often thought provoking package.

I've caught a couple of episodes of Z-Nation and, while its not a show I would probably return to, it certainly was entertaining (just not my cup of tea).

I do think that humor and horror can be put together very well whether it be the suburban satire of the original "Dawn of the Dead" or "Zombieland" which pulled apart the cliches of the genre and had was a deft satire as well.

I do dislike how teen fiction like the Twilight series has removed all the danger out of vampire flicks and other horror conventions. Having said all of that "The Walking Dead" remains consistently entertaining and so far the rot hasn't set in.

16. Scott222C

Overall I enjoyed this series more than I thought, but boy that episode "Going Nuclear" was an embarrassment .....radioactive glowing zombies and a nuclear reactor the size of a barn ...... totally stupid and over the top in a bad way ..... next episodes were much better though - hope this gets a second season

17. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Not as good as TWD but I enjoy watching it and hope it gets a second season.

18. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Is this any good?
    Less philosophical, more bite?

19. sixtiesstereo

sixtiesstereo Senior Member

I'm enjoying the show quite a lot, and have been watching it since it first
    came on two years ago, (They've been renewed for a third season). Like
    the cast, usually (not always) good storylines, serious amount of zombie kills
    each week, and always a certain amount of humor thrown in, which you NEVER
    get on "Walking Dead".
    This was one of favorite "light" moments from earlier this season. I realize
    some may consider it "cheesy", but it works for me.......

alexpop likes this.
  20. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Seen first season of WD, didn't get round to watching it after.

21. Steve Martin

Steve Martin Wild & Crazy Guy

The Katamari Damacy wheel of cheese was definitely the highlight of the show for me (yes, it even rolled up a cow), but really just indicative of their willingness to do anything. I agree the show improved quite a bit over the first few shows and hit a good stride, but while fun, it isn't a thought provoking masterpiece or anything.

22. sixtiesstereo

sixtiesstereo Senior Member

I agree it's not a thought provoking masterpiece, and I prefer it that way. I watch WD for that.
    But the entire group are all likable, and Doc always finds something funny to say, which is sadly completely
    missing from WD.
    Getting back to the cheese roll, what I found hilarious was the clip I posted above was at the beginning of
    the episode, and then they moved on. But then at the end, the closing shot was the cheese roll STILL rolling
    along into the distance. Hilarious and original.
    And don't forget the zombie baby (zombaby), the zombie tsunami, the large "Liberty Bell" banging down
    the street, and one of my favorites, the "Zombienado" (think Sharknado) with zombies raining down out
    of the sky and then going "splat" when they hit the ground. I enjoy laughing out loud.......

Steve Martin likes this.
  23. Steve Martin

Steve Martin Wild & Crazy Guy

I wouldn't necessarily say "more bite", but definitely more humor and more attitude.

alexpop likes this.
  24. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Loved the back story episode. Long overdue.

Season # 2 - Episode # 2 - White Light is a great episode. They need more like that.

25. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Is it worth a look ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.