Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #62)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Oct 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Camille Saint-Saens – Concerto for Piano and Orchestra No.4 Op.44, Introduction et Rondo capriccioso for Violin and Orchestra Op.28
    — Robert Casadeus, piano, Zino Francescatti, violin

Claude Debussy – Premiere Rhapsody pour orchestre avec clarinette principal, Rhapsodie pour orchestra et saxophone (orch: Jean Roger-Ducasse)
    — Stanley Drucker, clarinet, Sigurd Rascher, saxophone

Gabriel Faure – Ballade in F-sharp major for Piano and Orchestra Op.19
    — Robert Casadeus, piano

New York Philharmonic — Leonard Bernstein (Sony Classical)

[​IMG]

Moonfish, bluemooze and Mik like this.
  2. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

There's a difference I forgot to mention: the Philips box (pictured again below) has 11 CDs with all the sonatas and the 1968 recordings of the "Eroica" Variations, Op.35, the Variations WoO 80 and the Variations, Op.34, while your Decca box has all that and one more CD with the 1952 recording of the Diabelli Variations, Op.120. I have no idea how they are played; as for the 1952 recording, I read somewhere that it had too much reverb added.

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  3. SquaRoots

SquaRoots The North Star Grassman

´Scuse me, I could do with some advice.
    Please recommend me some good performances on CD/DVD of Wagner´s Lohengrin.

I have tickets for this performance next week and don´t have any of this music in my collection as of yet....

Thank you in advance.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2014
  4. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Now spinning this CD from the "Mercury Living Presence" boxset...never listened to it before, that's a cool disc. :)
    Of course I knew McBride's "Mexican Rhapsody" already, but the other compositions are very nice too

[​IMG]

Mik, bluemooze, ToddBD and 1 other person like this.
  5. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

[​IMG]

The best and under $11 used.

Moonfish, Mik, bluemooze and 3 others like this.
  6. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

7. SquaRoots

SquaRoots The North Star Grassman

Thanks very much, George. I appreciate it!

8. jasn

jasn Forum Resident

Pretty astounding...

[​IMG]

[Image is a live link, BTW]

bluemooze and vanhooserd like this.
  9. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

My pleasure.

10. Byrdsmaniac

Byrdsmaniac Forum Resident

I have been following these threads for a while and I have appreciated learning from the experience of others even if I'm mostly too busy to add much to the conversation.

Recently I have been enjoying some of the Vanguard recordings of Adrian Boult conducting the Philharmonic Promenade Orchestra of London. To me Boult's approach appears similar in some ways to Bruno Walter. They both emphasize balance of tone and dynamics to get across the whole structure of a piece of music. I also like that they divide the violins to either side of the conductor in the 19th century fashion.

I would like to know about a Boult box set called Sir Adrian Boult: From Bach to Wagner.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...colid=305CQOGSFUM38&coliid=I1OAMHYFM1WL2D&me=
    It appears to be later recordings made for EMI and I have two questions: First, do these performances also make use of divided violin sections? Secondly, do the performances compare favorably to Boult's own earlier recordings?

Thanks for any help anyone can give me.

John S likes this.
  11. ToddBD

ToddBD Forum Resident

Here we go…I really enjoy this reading of the 15th, recorded just three months before Solti passed. CSO in full bloom in this music.
    [​IMG]

Mik, EasterEverywhere and bluemooze like this.
  12. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

I count myself as a member of this disc's fan club--wow! I love the way she fearlessly attacks difficult passages. Wonderful sound, too.

[​IMG]

Mik, jukes, Soulpope and 3 others like this.
  13. TeacFan

TeacFan Forum Resident In Memoriam

Hoping to Find this on some Black Friday discount deal.
    Overstock has it currently at $107 shipped w/no sales tax.
    Missed the Pop Mart $99 deal.
    [​IMG]

14. drh

drh Talking Machine

I have the set, but to be honest I don't remember about the violins. Without having made a scientific study, I'd say it does compare well as performances, however; Boult was unlike Walter in that he didn't slow down appreciably with age, so his later recordings tend to move along in much the same way as his earlier ones. I'd say the box is worth having just for the Brahms 2d serenade, which has been one of my favorite recordings since long before it was repackaged in the box (for the record, my old copy was coupled with the 3d sym., another lovely account).

Incidentally, the "Philharmonic Promenade Orchestra of London" was one of the big London bands recording under a pseudonym for contractual reasons.

Byrdsmaniac likes this.
  15. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

So you are the Mr. Big Box for Angela Hewitt's recordings. I have her GV as single ... :righton::winkgrin:

bluemooze likes this.
  16. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

Mik and bluemooze like this.
  17. John S

John S Forum Resident

Interesting article on violin seating in orchestras.

Debate over Placement of Orchestras' String Sections

Whenever this issue pops up I think of Mahler's scoring for strings. He often has the first and second violin sections playing "call and answer." This stereophonic effect is of course enhanced by divided sections. At one point, he even has the second violins state the main theme in one of the symphonies. (Sorry I don't recall which one right now.) Also, Mahler often has each section the violins playing two and sometimes three parts in divisi. In that case, having the violins on either side of the podium makes for a wider, richer soundstage, to borrow an overworked audiophile term.

Mik likes this.
  18. Byrdsmaniac

Thanks for the helpful info. I'm ordering it from Amazon today.

19. Byrdsmaniac

Nice article. Thanks. I don't think divided violins work well for everything, but when the composer had these call and response effects in mind it makes a big difference to me. Some of the orchestral recordings of the Seattle Symphony done by John Eargle for Delos are done with divided violin sections and I find the ones I have heard quite effective.

20. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

This morning it's Maria Lettberg performing Scriabin.

John S and bluemooze like this.
  21. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Now playing:
    Peter Tchaikovsky – Symphony No.2 Op.17 "Little Russian"
    — New York Philharmonic — Leonard Bernstein (Sony Classics) from:

[​IMG]

22. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Now spinning this very issue. 1944 broadcast recording.Image from ebay,not my copy.Forgot how great this was.Need to pull out the Furtwangler isssue from the Furtwangler Society from the 70s for comparison.

23. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

I get the "Symphonia Domestica" part, the rest is too small to read—who is doing this?

24. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

Not sure I would have bothered to pick this up if it wasn't sealed in the $1.99 used bin at Hastings. This record commemorates the Fort Worth Chamber Orchestra's visit to China in 1983. I'm familiar with the Respighi piece on side one. The Chinese compositions on side two are new to me and are interesting. The record is flawless. Maybe I should have kept it sealed since someone on Amazon is selling it new for $200.00! That's only 100 times more than I paid. I could always sell it some day as a near mint copy but I buy music to listen.

[​IMG]

SquaRoots, bluemooze and ToddBD like this.
  25. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

I listen to most classical music with headphones. I'm just getting over a head cold, so I haven't used my headphones the last couple of weeks. It's hard to listen when your head feels like a giant cotton ball is pressing against your brain!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.