Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #62)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Oct 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ToddBD

ToddBD Forum Resident

So the school's library was getting rid of stuff that never gets checked out to make room for storing other materials, and I happened upon this set. As a Klemperer man, I needed the Schubert 5th. Very clean (of course, because it was hardly ever checked out) and some great performances on here. These are Angel pressings from 1967.
    Beethoven: Leonore #3, Philharmonia/Klemperer
    Weber: Der Freischutz Overture, Philharmonia/Klemperer
    Schubert: Symphony #5 in Bb, Philharmonia/Klemperer
    Schubert: Songs from Die Schone Mullerin, Fischer-Dieskau/Gerald Moore
    Beethoven: Piano Concert #4, Emil Gilels, Philharmonia/Leopold Ludwig
    Beethoven: Piano Sonata #27 in E minor, Hans Richter-Hasser
    Rossini: Excerpts from Barber of Seville, Royal Philharmonic Orchestra/Vittorio Gui
    Beethoven: Quartet #16 in F Major, Hungarian String Quartet
    Beethoven: Symphony #3 in Eb Major, Philharmonia/Klemperer
    [​IMG]

Moonfish, SquaRoots, Mik and 3 others like this.
  2. ToddBD

ToddBD Forum Resident

AND this one as well…here's a rep list, can't wait to dig in.

Mendelssohn: Fingal's Cave Overture, Berlin Philharmonic/Karajan
    Liszt: Les Preludes, Philharmonia/Karajan
    Chopin: Mazurka #17, Polonaise #3, Ballade #1, Waltzes Op, 64 Nos. 1, 2, 3, Witold Malcuzynski
    Verdi opera excerpts: Il Trovatore, Royal Opera Rome/Schippers…Macbeth, Philharmonia/Nicola Rescigno…Un Ballo in Maschera, Berlin Philharmonic/Alberto Eredo…La Traviata, Royal Opera Rome/Franco Ferraris
    Mendelssohn: Violin Concerto, Nathan Milstein, Philharmonia/Leon Barzin
    Liszt: Piano Concerto #1, Philharmonia/Constantin Silvestri
    Schumann: Papillons, Fischer-Dieskau/Gerald Moore
    Berlioz: Symphonie Fantastique, Orchestre National de la Radiodiffusion Francaise/Sir Thomas Beecham
    [​IMG]

Moonfish, SquaRoots, Mik and 3 others like this.
  3. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

No. 1 and 7 from this set--fabulous playing and sound:

[​IMG]

And Beethoven's 32nd Sonata from this set--it's Sokolov, so of course it's great, and with quite decent sound.

[​IMG]

Moonfish, Mik, ToddBD and 3 others like this.
  4. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Thanks for the report on the sound, that was the only thing holding me back. Just ordered a copy! :wave:

5. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now listening to "Dowland - First Booke of Songs 1587" performed by The Consort Of Musicke directed by Anthony Rooley from the "John Dowland - The Collected Works" box set on L'Oiseau-Lyre.

Featuring:
    (The lovely and talented) Emma Kirkby - soprano
    John York Skinner - countertenor
    Martyn Hill - tenor
    David Thomas - bass

[​IMG]

Moonfish, SquaRoots, Mik and 2 others like this.
  6. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

The set varies a bit, but none of the pieces have truly bad sound. The Arapov Concerto sounds the the tape was a little overloaded at times, but it's still listenable enough.

George P likes this.
  7. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I listened through the box a few months ago but never got around to watch the DVD ...

[​IMG]

SquaRoots, Mik and bluemooze like this.
  8. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

An excellent recording which is also included in the following box ...

[​IMG]

Moonfish, Mik and bluemooze like this.
  9. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now listening to "Bartok - Concerto For 2 Pianos, Percussion And Orchestra/Concerto For Violin And Orchestra No. 2" from the "Leonard Bernstein Edition - Concertos & Orchestral Works" box set on Sony.

[​IMG]

Mik likes this.
  10. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

Richard Strauss Vienna Philharmonic from one of Strauss' 80th birthday concerts.

Robin L likes this.
  11. drh

drh Talking Machine

Thanks for sharing that. What the article didn't mention: the villain in the piece is the celebrated English conductor Sir Henry J. Wood, who invented the combined seating a long time before the 1950s. His idea was that putting the violins together equalized their volume; otherwise, the seconds were not as loud, because they played with their instruments (and hence the f holes) pointing away from the audience.

I'd never heard the "it's hard for them to coordinate with each other" excuse before. That may well be true, but I wouldn't be surprised if it were an artifact of growing orchestral sizes over time coupled with unfamiliarity these days with the older arrangement, which hasn't been standard in most current players' lifetimes.

Mik and John S like this.
  12. drh

drh Talking Machine

You're welcome. I certainly hope I didn't lead you astray and that you thoroughly enjoy the set!

13. John S

John S Forum Resident

I have to admit, I never thought of the directional thing before. I suppose it does make some difference, although adding two or three more players would offset that. But that brings up another (stupid) question. Has there ever been "left handed" violin players?

14. John S

John S Forum Resident

OK OK I know Google is my friend:

List of left handed violinists.

15. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Checked the list - very disappointed that there are no left handed clarinetists.

:D

John S likes this.
  16. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I need some advice. I may be able to get the Arrau Héritage (it's French after all ;)) Schumann set for around $120, which is quite a bit cheaper than anywhere else as far as I can see. Is it worth it? Are there any maybe not-so-good interpretations or even duds on this set?

By the way, I got the Arrau Héritage Chopin set for $52 earlier this week; haven't received it yet, but I'm looking forward to listening to it.

17. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now listening to "Bach - The Musical Offering" performed by Capella Istropolitana on Naxos.

[​IMG]

Moonfish and Mik like this.
  18. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

Another Hastings sealed $1.99 gem.

[​IMG]

19. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

Hi guys, I'd like to know your opinions on this set of Orchestral Wagner by Klemperer.

[​IMG]

I know next to nothing about Wagner, but last night I watched von Trier's "Melancholia" and now I need to have the Prelude from Tristan und Isolde. And since I was a big fan of "Excalibur" as a kid, the Funeral March from Götterdämmerung should also be in the mix. The Ride of the Valkyries wouldn't do any harm either (you guessed it, "Apocalypse Now"). All these are on this Klemperer collection and it seems to have its fans. Does anyone here know it? How are the performances, how's the sound?

Thanks. :wave:

20. Fafner88

Fafner88 Forum Resident

Some very attractive and accessible contemporary music, especially the first piece. This may appeal to people who love stuff like Arnold Bax.

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  21. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Anyone?

22. Fafner88

Fafner88 Forum Resident

You can't go wrong with Klemperer in Wagner, but the early 60's sound is pretty coarse (and it has a botched Ride of the Valkyries). One big advantage of this set over many other Wagner orchestral CD's is that it features virtually all the standard orchestral excerpts from the operas in one place. Personally I prefer the Karajan set which is much better recorded and features IMO the best Tristan prelude & liebestod on record-

[​IMG]

The downside is that there are no Ring excerpts (and for that I would recommend this one http://www.amazon.com/Wagner-Orches...&qid=1416613361&sr=8-4&keywords=wagner+levine)

23. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Sound and performances are good. If you want hair-raising, look elsewhere. Furtwängler is my first choice, some of his recordings for EMI with the Philharmonia and VPO have better sound than that conductor's average. The Philharmonia Tristan Prelude is to die for. Stokowski/LSO for London Phase 4 has the most hair-raising Ride of the Valkyries. Bruno Walter has made some fine recordings of these works with "The Columbia Symphony Orchestra", really sweet version of the Siegfried Idyll.

Gotta say, this really feels like carrying coals to Newcastle. :laugh:

24. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Read some reviews/opinions on the Arrau Héritage Schumann set in the meantime and they were mixed at best. The main negative points were Arrau's rubati and a touch of self-consciousness. I'd really like to hear opinions of people here who have this set or have heard it. If I remember correctly George was pretty positive about it.

The recordings of the solo piano pieces on the set date from the 1960s and 1970s.

Thanks!

25. Fafner88

Fafner88 Forum Resident

I wouldn't recommend mono recordings for a newcomer, especially for a composer such as Wagner.

I think that Stokowski has ruined it with his reorchestration by adding those shrill piccolos, for me it's just unlistenable. I think that Levine's recording with the Met that I've mentioned is no less hair rising. But Stokowski did some other very cool arrangements from other operas, and there's a really awesome Naxos CD conducted by Serebrier featuring 'suites' from Tristan and Parsifal, and a stunning version of the "entry of the Gods into Valhalla" and "Wotan's farewell and magic fire music" (you've never heard such brass!)

Yes, Walter is good, but the orchestra isn't first rate. For me, the most gorgeous Sigfried Idyll is Celibidache's EMI CD of Wagner excerpts, probably the slowest version ever recorded, but every bar is pure magic (together with a very powerful and tragic "Sigfried's funeral march").

Last edited: Nov 21, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.