Some of the 1960s teenybopper stuff is actually really good!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Joshua277456, Nov 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joshua277456

Joshua277456 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Not so much the lyrics or inherent meaningfulness, but the MUSICALITY and INSTRUMENTATION!

For example, Treat Me Like a Lady by Lesley Gore recorded for her 1967 album California Nights

If you're not a fan of 1960s teenybopper music, just look past the lyrics and listen to the instrumentation and musicality of it. Feel the rhythm, try and appreciate the melodies. Listen to the piano, the horns, and the background harmonies.

It sounds great! I really do thoroughly enjoy some of this stuff.

Also, Lesley Gore was a hell of a singer even though some might say you can't really take her music from the 1960s very seriously. Not me saying that, just going off of what I've observed.

Thoughts?

Last edited: Nov 25, 2014
  2. ReadySteady

ReadySteady Custom Title

I own the Bear Family Lesley Gore box set and it's fantastic. So much great material that you'd never find on a hits compilation. Now if only we could get her mono albums on CD.

Joshua277456 likes this.
  3. Joshua277456

I don't think we'll ever see her mono albums on CD :cry:. But I will always be waiting. I don't think there's any demand for it. Barely any demand for her albums at all. I mean, if they had a box-set of all her albums in mono for even something like $50, who would really buy it? I might, but I don't really know anybody else who would. It's not going to sell like any Beatles box-set :biglaugh:Just the thought of it makes me laugh though.

I have almost all of her mono albums from the 1960s in mono on vinyl. Just missing "Boys, Boys, Boys". I bought California Nights and Girl Talk both still sealed from eBay. $20 for Cal. Nights and only $12 for Girl Talk.

Glad to know I am not the the only, single, solitary fan of Lesley Gore on this forum. I don't see hardly any talk of her on here.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2014
    Tyler Mills likes this.
  4. shutdown66

shutdown66 Forum Resident

My favorite from Lesley Gore.
    Jack Nitzsche was both arranger and producer for this song.

billh, mindgames and Tord like this.
  5. ReadySteady

ReadySteady Custom Title

That's weird, I think Boys, Boys, Boys is the only one I don't own either. Unfortunately, my collection is a mix of stereo and mono. I even snagged a promo copy of Someplace Else Now on ebay.

Yeah, I agree there's no chance of a mono CD collection ever happening. Too bad Bear Family favors stereo over mono or else we could've had them already.

John B Good likes this.
  6. Yes. Some of the 1960s teenybopper stuff is actually really good.

Actually this might be pre-teenybopper.

7. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I don't know what possessed me to buy the Perry Hits package way back in the 80's. I guess I always liked Sunshine Lollies, and I think the store's owner told me the quality even made him sit up and take notice. But I am so glad I did. My #1 guilty pleasure, for sure. And thanks to this forum, I became aware of the very different mono Mix of That's The Way Boys Are. But I gotta admit, the stereo on the cd is pretty awesome.

8. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

Dizzy - Tommy Roe
    Yummy Yummy Yummy - Ohio Express
    Hanky Panky - Tommy James
    Snoopy vs The Red Baron - The Royal Guardsman
    Sugar, Sugar - The Archies
    1,2, 3 Red Light - 1910 Fruitgum Company

I remember these all on the juke boxes when I was a little tyke.........

9. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

Good stuff! Listen to the strings on "Dizzy" (and the pizzicato strings on Tommy Roe's "Party Girl"), then listen to the influence of both of them in ELO's "Livin' Thing". Listen to the intro of "Yummy...", then to the intro of the Cars' "Just What I Needed." Hear the influence?

goodiesguy, Todd W. and sixelsix like this.
  10. Joshua277456

One of her best songs! You just can't help from at least tapping your foot

11. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident

The Beatles are quite good. :shh:

Coricama, Michael and starduster like this.
  12. alchemy

alchemy Forum Resident

Hey the 60>s were sooo much fun!

13. ROLO46

ROLO46 Forum Resident

This is why the Fabs arrived
    As an emetic.

SteelyNJ and Mister Charlie like this.
  14. HarvG

HarvG Senior Member

I can honestly say I've never heard the word "emetic" used in conjunction with the Beatles! I assume you're suggesting that they caused the pop music scene to rid itself of much of the "teenybopper" music that existed before they arrived? (Although maybe some parents literally felt sick over Beatlemania.)

Joshua277456 and starduster like this.
  15. When the Fabs arrived they were totally teenybopper music. Although they caused some parents to feel like vomiting, they were a breath of fresh air, not an emetic to their fans.

16. Joshua277456

1. The Beatles themselves were very much teenybopper themselves when they first arrived. "I Want to Hold Your Hand", "Boys", "She Loves You", "That Boy", "I Saw Her Standing There"

2. There was still plenty of teenybopper music after the Beatles arrived. Hell, Lesley Gore released her debut album, "I'll Cry if I Want to", in 1963, the same year the Beatles released their first album in the UK.

3. If anything, the Beatles contributed to the teenybopper music

17. Joshua277456

The best decade for music IMHO

goodiesguy, John54, CliffL and 2 others like this.
  18. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

This (from the same album) is The MOTHERLODE!!

19. Joshua277456

Another great song! I love the entire album and have the original mono LP in mint condition I bought still sealed from 1967

ajsmith likes this.
  20. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

it's all good!

21. Michael

They're GRRRRRRRRRRReat!

22. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

Amazing - would to own this one on vinyl one day.

23. Michael

her best in my opinion is: Maybe I Know!

24. dustybooks

dustybooks rabbit advocate

I'm kind of a recent convert to Lesley Gore since seeing The TAMI Show a few years back. I think "Maybe I Know" is a gut-splitting, beautifully sung record.

Have always loved 1910 Fruitgum Co. though. Surprisingly consistent output under that name!

ajsmith likes this.
  25. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

'Maybe I Know' Floats 2 feet above the rest of teen-pop records! AMAZING!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.