The Velvet Underground "White Light/White Heat" 45th Anniversary Edition

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Marry a Carrot, Sep 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

OK
    Is there a silver or gold release you prefer over the Drake?

BIG thanks; i'm sure the MFSL wont cost much! :sweating:

EDitEDbyED:
    funny DR page:
    http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/list/dr/desc?album=White Light/White Heat
    the '98 MFSL was "remastered"?!?!

Last edited: Jul 9, 2014
  2. RocketUSA

RocketUSA Forum Resident

Yep, remastered. Note that there are two wildly different DR entries for it. One of which has the highest rating. Although DR isn't an end all!

3. Echo

Echo Forum Resident

Very odd for MFSL to do that....

4. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

so after listening a number of times to the mono disc
    best I can tell
    very little difference with the mono single mixes? at most slight EQ?
    very little difference with the mono album to the stereo, and the forum still believes some of the songs are fold downs, but can't tell which ones?
    no performance mix oddities a la some of the beatles mono mixes?

just trying to see if there are any noticeable differences between the mono and stereo mixes. personally I prefer the stereo to be able to pick out different squalls from the mix, esp in Sister Ray or I Heard Her Call My Name

5. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

What's the general consensus on the 2LP? I can get it for £15 locally. I have it on vinyl already, one of those Verve reissues that look identical to an original but are most likely distributed by Scorpio. Is the anniversary worth the upgrade?

6. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

I wonder if Cale cares enough about the post-Cale Velvet's legacy releases to help releases along with a completist mindset. I hope he loved Lou enough to want the world to be able to hear as many nicely-recorded Lou vocals of VU songs as are out there on tape - namely the Matrix/EndofCole cache, but also the Joseph Freeman Max's tape.

VU Inc. needs to secure and release this stuff. Maybe the Warhol Foundation can help make these acquisitions. Andy would love some more VU tapes, right?

ralphb likes this.
  7. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

There's no difference in mix between the single and mono LP.

Correct, very little difference between the mixes. Fold downs are "I Heard Her Call My Name", "Sister Ray" and presumably "The Gift" as I imagine it's just a combining of the vocal and instrumental tracks heard on the stereo mix. For that one, though, I think they didn't do the usual 50/50 mix of the two channels.

dee, Chris M and guidedbyvoices like this.
  8. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

I've never heard of the Warhol Foundation caring about tapes in which he didn't have any real connection. Even then, they haven't been good with sharing what they have. There was the whole situation with the 2002 VU & Nico 2CD deluxe being announced with "Miss Joanie Lee" and a couple other songs from the Warhol Museum in-house CD, but once promos came out, the tracks were MIA. The word given then was that they were told if they used those songs, they could forget about cooperation in future releases. A handful of the Warhol Museum CD tracks have now been released (some edited) on the 45th Anniversary Nico box, but that's it as far as I can tell for releases of VU material from the museum's archive. There's much more on that museum disc and even more tracks from that material that sit completely unheard in the archive. And of course films. A DVD of a couple 1966 films would've been a nice touch to the Nico box and the Boston '67 film for the WL/WH. They just seem set on having the enjoyment of this material to be not too widespread. I don't understand that.

Likewise, I don't see John caring anything about the post-him legacy. That's not something he's ever shown in the past, not that I blame him. I don't think he'd step in to block releases (can he?), but I really doubt he'd take any interest in their production. He also seems to be far from a completist mindset given his tales of boxes of VU tapes in his basement that he hasn't gone through. No doubt he loved Lou, but I don't think this is the kind of thing he cares about much.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2014
    notesfrom likes this.
  9. RocketUSA

RocketUSA Forum Resident

10. Mr Sam

Mr Sam "...don't look so good no more"

As I'm posting this, the situation has not really changed. i'm still hoping for a 3-cd minus book that will never happen (because the 2-cd edition is really frustrating without the mono mix)
    Has there been a official statement / online community uprising / whatever ...adressing the issue of the overpricing on this edition?
    I see they went back to "near-rational" approach for the 3rd album by proposing a 6-disc set for the same price (then again I was hoping for a THREE-disc "deluxe" version instead of the still frustrating selection that makes the 2-cd release)

11. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

The book version is currently £30 in fopp, if that helps?

12. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

edit - thought I was replying to the 3d album set. sorry.

to me, yes WLWH is overpriced. I waited for a sale at under $60 before finally getting it. And I don't even really listen to the live album or the mono mix, I just really wanted the book and to have a nice set of one of my favorite albums. Its just one of those things. If you want a deluxe set, there's the 2 disc. If you want it all, then spring for the deluxe book. there's options for buying any of this in any configuration, and no ones forcing fans to buy the 3 disc book set. I mean, what do you think it's worth, $55 altogether? Life's too short, either spring the extra $25 for the set or move along.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2014
  13. smiley69

smiley69 Forum Resident

Dino likes this.
  14. smiley69

smiley69 Forum Resident

Ordered mine today 37,48 €. Already shipped ! Can't wait.

15. Mr Wensleydale

Mr Wensleydale Forum Resident

That's a good price. What's their packaging like for overseas sales?

16. smiley69

smiley69 Forum Resident

I dont know but from what I've seen, their stocks are in France. Mine is shipping from à platform not far from where I live so I'll get it soon.
    These coffee-table books are not very fragile, IMO, si I guess you don't take much risk.

17. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I'm still trying to land this at a reasonable price. Hard for me to pay $80 for 3 CDs instead of 6 like the other sets. I have yet to see a Warehouse Deal from Amazon on it (which is how I got the VU & Nico set for $38). I would pass on this set all together, but now that I have the first and third how can I not own the second?? I really wish they had included more content with this set. Surely they could have found something.

18. Mr Wensleydale

Thanks, I'll be interested to hear how yours arrives. I had problems with the VU & Nico Super Deluxe from Amazon UK, whose packaging can be poor at times, so I'm loathe to order this from .uk until the price drops, but this deal from .it is very good :)

19. smiley69

smiley69 Forum Resident

If you send me your email by PM, I can send you picts of the package when it arrives so you can judge by yourself.

Mr Wensleydale likes this.
  20. Mr Wensleydale

That's very kind - PM sent.

21. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

It's been confirmed that side 1 of the mono are dedicated mixes, and side 2 (IHHCMY & Sister Ray) are fold-downs.

To my ears, "The Gift" and "Lady Godiva's Operation" pack a lot more punch in mono, but I don't have the same talent as some other forums at articulating the specific differences I perceive in the mixes.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2014
    ruben lopez and Dino like this.
  22. RobCooper

RobCooper Cobwebs & Strange

Picked up a copy from ebay....The pages of the book have been bound the wrong way round.... Anyone else had one like this? I'm wondering if these were factory rejects that ended up in the hands of an unwitting seller - it was shrink-wrapped and to all intents looked brand new.

23. airstreamdriver

airstreamdriver Forum Resident

I know I'm late to this party, but I just happened upon a review of this set by an Amazon buyer "Innominate Foundling" and discovered an unpleasant fact. To quote the user :

"Notably, there's a pretty glaring digital error at the end of the stereo version of Sister Ray, where about ten milliseconds of digital silence has just been randomly dropped into the track. I did an A/B against my previous copy from the Peel Slowly & See box set, and the error is not present in that version (which, I imagine, also reflects the contemporaneous single-disc edition of that album). I inspected my disc and didn't notice any manufacturing defects, so I checked the "autorip" version that Amazon provides, and voila, the error was also present in that version, leading me to believe that the problem lies with the digital master itself."​

I checked my copy and sure enough, the glitch is unmistakeable. I ripped it to an AIF an opened it in Audacity, and behold:

[​IMG]

A mastering screwup, plain and simple. Pretty annoying to pay so much for this and on top of all the other complaints enumerated above, to find that Universal couldn't even manage basic QC. Seems pretty unlikely any action will be taken, expecially at this late date, but does anyone know who to write to at Universal to complain?

24. Raf

Raf Senior Member

Thanks for the info. I just checked my HDTracks and "Mastered for iTunes" downloads — they don't have this glitch.

25. floweringtoilet

floweringtoilet Forum Resident

I can confirm it's there on the two disc version as well. Don't think I would have noticed it if I hadn't read this. Of course now that I know it's there, it's quite audible. I deleted the silence in my audio editor.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.